Just for fun- A 3-D Fly

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Holy Macro
Tried playing with doing a 3-D pair shot today. This one worked quite well. Just try defocusing/crossing the eyes whilst staring at the image once you get an image appear in the middle try relaxing your eyes and you should see a stable 3-D image.
Brian V.

42543268-L.jpg

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Very cool! I had to be about 5' back from the monitor for it to work right. How'd you set this one up?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Very cool! I had to be about 5' back from the monitor for it to work right. How'd you set this one up?
    Thanks TristanP,
    Just thought I'd try doing some stereo pairs with my macro rig- I used a macrorail on my tripod mounted at right angles to the camera so I could rack the camera along about 2.5" between shots, and then twist the camera to get the fly back in view and then shoot. I then exactly aligned and cropped the pics in PS to centralise the fly.

This is the first shot I tried. You may need to get even further back for this.:D
    Brian V.

58470166_0dddc26256_o.jpg
  • wanderingeyewanderingeye Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    very cool work Brian clap.gif

I got a nice image of the fly about 3' from my (powerbook) monitor, with my reading glasses on

how do you get your flies to pose for you so nicely? I feel lucky if the little buggers will stop long enough for ONE in-focus shot!
    David Cothran (Wandering Eye)
    http://www.wandering-eye.com

"the days run away like wild horses over the hills"
    Bukowski
    edited November 1, 2005
    very cool work Brian clap.gif

I got a nice image of the fly about 3' from my (powerbook) monitor, with my reading glasses on

how do you get your flies to pose for you so nicely? I feel lucky if the little buggers will stop long enough for ONE in-focus shot!
    Glad it worked :):

It's a bit cooler here now (about 14.C) which slows them down. I watched the fly for about a minute and it didn't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere so I just setup and was lucky it did not move whilst I was changing the camera position. I also made sure I did not block the sun (it was sunbathing at the time).
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Hi Brian
    Tried playing with doing a 3-D pair shot today. This one worked quite well. Just try defocusing/crossing the eyes whilst staring at the image once you get an image appear in the middle try relaxing your eyes and you should see a stable 3-D image.
    Brian V.
    I can never see these things work the way they are suppose to, same thing with those images in those colourful books with the lines and swirls and things I for some reason can never see the hidden image.

Do you have one of those Stereo devices Brian? I saw a few in some Antique stores while I was in USA .

Thanks for sharing Brian........you're a very talented guy aren't you.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 1, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I can never see these things work the way they are suppose to, same thing with those images in those colourful books with the lines and swirls and things I for some reason can never see the hidden image.

Do you have one of those Stereo devices Brian? I saw a few in some Antique stores while I was in USA .

Thanks for sharing Brian........you're a very talented guy aren't you.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks skippy- Talented no, I just like playing around with cameras and also more importantly have the time to do it. I actually used to have my PC setup to display stereo pairs with an Nvidia graphics card and their stereo drivers and a pair of shutter glasses- unfortunately this only really works on a crt display and not the TFT I use now. :D
    Brian V.
    edited November 2, 2005
    Just to make sure you have all gone cross-eyed.
    One last shot- this time of an hibiscus flower- each pic is focus stacked from 2 pics (4 shots in all)
    Brian V.

58917608_1ecc1c3d7e_b.jpg
  • AnnabellaAnnabella Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    WOW!!! Those are totaly amazing! MORE MORE.....thumb.gif
    edited November 3, 2005
    Annabella wrote:
    WOW!!! Those are totaly amazing! MORE MORE.....thumb.gif
    Thanks Annabella,
    They are very easy to do, Just take one pic of the subject then carefully move the camera about 2" parallel to the subject, rotate the camera to get approximately the same field of view (if necessary) and take a second pic. You can then properly align them and crop them in photoshop and see if it works. Thats all I was doing, but I did use a tripod and a macrorail to make moving the camera easier.
    Brian V.
    edited November 3, 2005
    OK one more- A drone Fly (hoverfly)
    Just did another one this am- this was done from handheld shots, just moving the camera slighlty between shots but trying to hold the same focus distance (using manual focus). Seems to work icon10.gif
    I can see this is going to cause me problems- won't know whether to to shoot a bug at different focus depths for focus stacking, or from a slightly different angle for a stereo pic.
    Brian V.

42850574-L.jpg

edited November 3, 2005
    3-D Window Gnat
    Can't seem to stop trying these. Again Handheld.

59295561_c23444c27f_b.jpg
  • nomilesnomiles Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2005
    Well done! thumb.gif

I have several stereo (film) cameras, never thought of trying it with a digital.

Thanks
    edited November 4, 2005
    nomiles wrote:
    Well done! thumb.gif

I have several stereo (film) cameras, never thought of trying it with a digital.

Thanks
    Thanks nomiles- I assume these work for you?
    Seems quite easy to do with digital camera, out of about 9 pairs of shots only one failed to work properly for me.:)

This is probably the best one to date. Each pic is actually focus stacked from 5 pics so there are 10 pics in total in there somewhere. :)

59327974_2bb73ed96c_o.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Very nice 3D effect!
    I used to like those stereo pictures since I was a kid, and yours deliver a very strong and very clear 3D effect instantly.clap.gif
    Great job!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I used to like those stereo pictures since I was a kid, and yours deliver a very strong and very clear 3D effect instantly.clap.gif
    Great job!thumb.gif
    Thanks Nikolai,
    I was just playing with this to see how hard they were to do- seems they are quite easy!
    Unfortunately it seems only about 50% of the population can visualize them properly.

Brian V.