#96 Second Batch - Please Help!

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited February 18, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I know my current entry (the church) has a good perspective, but I also know I can do better..., so here there are more shots:

First I had a second look to what I got from the pool hall and I found some better ones. They are not the "classical" beautiful shots of a pool table, but I (personally) prefer this action type of shots:

i-d6JrJXc-XL.jpg

i-ZpPL2f5-XL.jpg

i-prg8D2d-XL.jpg

i-6gXtVRM-XL.jpg

i-PZ3sZX4-XL.jpg

I also got some new, fresh shots:

i-xSMjdkd-XL.jpg

i-LBLvWGD-XL.jpg

i-2zXHhxg-XL.jpg

i-f4wqLFT-XL.jpg

i-fFj4pJQ-XL.jpg

I will definitely replace my current entry with one of these, but I need your help to decide witch one :)
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    I really like #3 out of these!

Nice shots!!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    I think I favor #10.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Thank you Jeromy and Jenn.

Any other thoughts, please?
    Travelways.com
    edited February 17, 2012
    I kind of like #5 and #9 too .. subtle vanishing points, but I like that. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    As long as you are asking for a comparison, I guess I'll share the definition of "the kind of photography I'm interested in" that I'm working on. I won't quite call it a test for good photos vs. bad, because that's a bit pretentious, don't you think? Still, it's what I'm looking for.

Photos that I like are "the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love." Composition matters a lot for this, because good composition provides effective communication. Technical stuff can get in the way of this, but can't ever provide it; thus, I consider it secondary.

I think your pool shots capture a lot of the love part, in the form of friendship that is clearly evident. #5 shows the friendship well, but the smiling guy is pretty unfocused. #4 shows all three of them engaging, and has some great diagonal lines of composition. #6 could be really great if there were some element of "truth" that we got to -- what is the story of this woman cleaning? Can we tell something about her story? I don't know exactly what that would be; perhaps her face.

#2 probably has the best vanishing points of the pool shots, but #4 has some too. The other shots with clear vanishing points aren't communicating a feeling to me, so I like them less well.

Hope that helps!
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
    edited February 18, 2012
    Thank you Jenn again and thank you so much Brian - comments like this from an experimented photographer are invaluable :)

Talking about photo with some feelings, I also have those that I haven't shown (between others...):

i-tM73XxR-XL.jpg

i-qcmhTXk-XL.jpg

i-s6kShTP-XL.jpg

Any thoughts?
    Travelways.com
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like #11 for Vanishing Point especially... but the other two seem a bit too subtle for the topic for me.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    edited February 18, 2012
    Thank you Jenn. I liked this one when I first took it but I almost forgot about it rolleyes1.gif

I may go with it :)
    Travelways.com
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like #5 the best because it is quite contrary to our normal sense of vanishing point. In this image, the smaller subject is in the foreground and the larger subject at the vanishing point. A refreshing interpretation.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like #5 the best because it is quite contrary to our normal sense of vanishing point. In this image, the smaller subject is in the foreground and the larger subject at the vanishing point. A refreshing interpretation.

Chris

Thank you Chris.

Yes, this one and some others I took (also for the previous challenge) in the same place, have the perspective inverted - the vanishing point is somehow in the front - I intended to do this. Thank you for noticing :)

PS: one of them is this:

http://allbiz.smugmug.com/Photography/Daily-Photography/Photo-of-the-day-2010/6464803_N6PDWQ#!i=1696981735&k=TKQGS8w
    Travelways.com