Options

Trio from class

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in People
Here's a bit of homework from the lighting class I'm taking. Although I've read about most of the stuff we are covering, it is good to get more hands-on time with the lights.

#1 Rembrandt with a medium softbox. The assignment was 1 light but I really wanted to get a hair light for some seperation...next week's class
i-4Xt4RpX-XL.jpg

#2 Loop with a bare light
i-NxwXqXT-XL.jpg

#3 Beauty lighting with a beauty dish
i-3FKmWLd-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Always go slow.....you'll be susprised if your not rooted in basics how fast you can forget in the rush of working. You've got some great examples here, congrats. Remember when you go outside and use natural light the same basics apply. Please post more from you class work.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Always go slow.....you'll be susprised if your not rooted in basics how fast you can forget in the rush of working. You've got some great examples here, congrats. Remember when you go outside and use natural light the same basics apply. Please post more from you class work.

So, so true. The lighting class I took (audited, actually, via the college where I teach in another department, so didn't look a gift class in the mouth!) was actually for product shooting. I value the time spent learning how to use the equipment and lots about how light actually *works*, but OH how I wish I'd been able to do a class that was for portrait lighting with specific assignments like these! I feel very lucky to have had so many great mentors teaching me along the way so I do know how to set these up (if not as well as I'd like sometimes), but I know that one of my weaknesses is, exactly as Hack says, forgetting basics when I'm interacting with subjects and/or if I'm not shooting regularly enough.

I'm really gaining a ton from following these very specific class assignments you're posting (and may actually set them as exercises for myself when I have some time to do so), so please keep posting!
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Thanks Charles. We spend the 1st hour or so of each class looking at our assignments. That part has been really good as tips and tricks are pointed out - the most common thing for most of us so far is shooting from too low.
    good work.
    :D
    divamum wrote: »
    So, so true. The lighting class I took (audited, actually, via the college where I teach in another department, so didn't look a gift class in the mouth!) was actually for product shooting. I value the time spent learning how to use the equipment and lots about how light actually *works*, but OH how I wish I'd been able to do a class that was for portrait lighting with specific assignments like these! I feel very lucky to have had so many great mentors teaching me along the way so I do know how to set these up (if not as well as I'd like sometimes), but I know that one of my weaknesses is, exactly as Hack says, forgetting basics when I'm interacting with subjects and/or if I'm not shooting regularly enough.

I'm really gaining a ton from following these very specific class assignments you're posting (and may actually set them as exercises for myself when I have some time to do so), so please keep posting!
    I remember when you were taking that class. I think we started posting about the same time a couple of years ago. Just so you know - assignment #2 was 16 shots - 4 lighting patterns (loop, rembrandt, beauty, split) with each modifier (bare or gridded light, large softbox, small softbox, and beauty dish).
    Start posting!
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Mike J wrote: »
    I remember when you were taking that class. I think we started posting about the same time a couple of years ago. Just so you know - assignment #2 was 16 shots - 4 lighting patterns (loop, rembrandt, beauty, split) with each modifier (bare or gridded light, large softbox, small softbox, and beauty dish).
    Start posting!

Lemme get through the next month or so and then I think I may well do just that! Of course, I don't *have* all those modifiers - or access to a studio - but I can still do the patterns with what I do have....

If I ever come up for air again, this is definitely going to be a project I do thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    ...OH how I wish I'd been able to do a class that was for portrait lighting with specific assignments like these...
    What stops ya? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"