Options

Trying to Design a New Logo

ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited March 2, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
So I was playing around in photoshop today and learned how to make a lens. I really like the way it came out and decided to try and possibly incorperate it into a new logo I'm trying to design. Any imputs would be apprecaited. Do you like certain fonts or aspects of one version over another?

Thanks in advance!

V1
logo-v1-L.jpg

V2
logo-v2-L.jpg
Facebook - Twitter
Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I do not find any of them appealing for use as a logo.

These are the folks in St. Louis who did Sal Cincotta's stuff. I find their work quite inspirational and memorable.

http://www.visuallure.com/blog/category/logo-design-branding/
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I didn't see anything on their site about prices. I'm VERY limited in cash so I'm trying to do it on my own. I'm just stuck because I'm not sure exactly what I want it to look like. I do weddings, portraits and special events.
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I didn't see anything on their site about prices. I'm VERY limited in cash so I'm trying to do it on my own. I'm just stuck because I'm not sure exactly what I want it to look like. I do weddings, portraits and special events.

I like the lens you came up with, I dont like the font combinations or how the lens is integrated. I think with a little work you will be fine.

Use drastically different fonts...for instance cursive up top and simple text down below for "photography", or many other variations.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    They are all pretty bad, and the third is an image of some people.
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Outsourcing the Logo
    Hi there.

Recently, a colleague and I needed a new logo for a startup photo business. Neither of us are designers, so we decided to outsource this project.

After some research, we went with 48HourLogo

We were really happy with their business model - you describe what you want, set a price (usually around $100) and then designers all over the world work on your project for you. You pick the one you want, giving suggestions along the way to fine tune it. In the end, you pay the winning designer, although it seems fair to give a bit of $ to others who have worked hard, too - but that's your choice.

Our winning designer was this company. We think they (TheenkPositive) do great work.

I won't add a link to our final logo or business so that doesn't look like I'm trolling for business myself - just wanted to pass on a good experience!

Charles
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Thanks, I'll have to check out the 48HourLogo site. I think I can manage $100
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    So I took some of the advice about fonts above and gave it another try with 2 more attempts. Any better? As always any comments or critiques would be appreciated.

v3
    logo-v3-L.jpg
    v4
    logo-v4-L.jpg

v5
    logo-v5-L.jpg
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    FYI, can you please embed these images correctly? Use the little image button in the editor and it will go in nice and smooth. I have to copy/paste your URLs to see the shots. You should be able to edit your previous posts to fix.

Okay, v5 is getting there. Suggestions:
    * Get rid of the background shadow/blur. It is too light to see well, won't print well, and isn't applied evenly anyway. It ends up making it look muddy.
    * Get the lens out from under the text, move it to the far left, bring it up to full saturation/opacity.
    * Center the top text over the bottom text for a nice squared look.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    I replaced v5 above with out the "muddy" look and centered the text. Below are 2 revisions with the lens moved to the left per RyanS critique.

v6
    logo-v6-L.jpg

v7
    logo-v7-L.jpg
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    I replaced v5 above with out the "muddy" look and centered the text. Below are 2 revisions with the lens moved to the left per RyanS critique.

logo-v7-L.jpg

This is working much better. Perfect? well thats up to you.
    and finally something I did for fun....any thoughts?

Ticket-Stub-L.jpg

Unique and cute. Instead of a "raffle ticket" wouldnt something like a movie ticket make for sense?
    -Nate
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited February 19, 2012
    The font you are using is what I would consider fussy. It doesn't give a clean look to your logo.

The use of a lens in the logo reminds me of something that is generations old and overdone. The fact that you use a lens on your camera isn't enough to promote it as a part of the structure of your logo.

What type of image do you want to give to your site? And what type of customers are you trying to attract? This may be harsh, but the logos you have posted above look like something that was just thrown together for lack of a better idea. They seem to be continuing in same theme as those you posted in your earlier logo thread.

--- Denise
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Amirable tackling this job yourself....it's 1000x better than anything I could do! :)

Just my 2 cent suggestion --- if you're trying to save money, but want to outsource you could take a gamble on www.fiverr.com

Good luck!

Ryan
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    I don't know, maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't even know that said ADMIT until I saw V3. I'd recommend using a cleaner font - Most people are only going to give your logo a quick glance, and you want it to stick with them.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    Tried a new idea....better or worse?

logo-v9-L.jpg

logo-v10-L.jpg
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012

logo-v9-L.jpg

logo-v10-L.jpg

Again, I find the fonts confusing. Mind if I take a shot at it?
    -Nate
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited February 23, 2012
    Your new try is readable but it still does not move towards giving you a professional look. I'd recommend trying for a clean look.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    You've not told us what the logo is trying to say. What do you want the branding to do for you? How do you want to use it, and how does it feature in your marketing plan?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    I hope you dont mind, but I was playing around with some ideas for you. Because of the name "admit" I liked your idea of the ticket...so I simplified it and here is what I cam up with.

Untitled-2-5.jpg
    -Nate
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    You've not told us what the logo is trying to say. What do you want the branding to do for you? How do you want to use it, and how does it feature in your marketing plan?

thumb.gif

I agree you need to have some diurection with what the branding is trying to say about your company otherwise you will get lost in future in an already oversaturated market.

You need to fix or brainstorm what customers you are trying to target and how can you achieve this with your branding, so try relate to them, make it easy for them to read, so far the typography you have used is very unclear and not easy to digest or get information from.

There are plenty of sites that offer free help for cbrand consultantion and sometimes you can get disocunts for the whole package. Sites that I have been recommended as a freelance photographer myself as from Ralev, for simple cheap design, DreamSure Consulting, Groupon in Irealnd offer disocunts for services (irelands site)

I think a structured plan form the start will make your buisiness a success, you just need to have the right things implenmented.

wings.gif
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Right now I'm doing this strictly on the side to make some extra cash. My plan is to offer professional photography for a fraction of the cost. My goal is to offer professional photography to those that can't afford a $2000-$3000 photographer to do their wedding while still making a profit. Does that make sense?

FishEyeJohn: Thanks for those site recommendations, I'll check them out.

I agree I need to do some planning. It's really hard right now since I'm in the military I can't say I want to reach these people in my current market because my market could change in the mater of a month if I got orders.

I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten so far.
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Untitled-2-5.jpg

I like this take on the logo......it's got some potential!
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    I like this take on the logo......it's got some potential!

if you want the .psd, let me know and i am happy to email it
    -Nate
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    if you want the .psd, let me know and i am happy to email it

PM sent
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    DigiScapesDigiScapes Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    What is the reason for keeping Admit in all caps? Is it an acronym? If not, keep it Capital A lowercase dmit. If it is an acronym, spell out what it stands for.

General rule of thumb when using text logos: Stay away from caps when using any type of script as it is very difficult to read. Never use more than 2 fonts (not an issue with what you have) as it makes any logo look messy. Clean and simple is usually the best looking.
    Brian -
    Digi-Scapes | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
    Nikon D800 & D850 | Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II | Nikkor 16-35 f/4 | Nikon TC-20E-III | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR | Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    "Admit" frightens me: I feel like the photographer might use the camera to get evidence for an interrogation room. Maybe there might be better names for your business unless you do legal and forensic. Admittedly, I might be a bit jaundiced, but I personally would probably be maybe somewhat hesitant about contacting "Admit Photography" because I really don't understand the name, unless it were in an area having few photographers.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    ADMIT= A Documented Moment In Time, It's a bit to long to spell out in a logo. However the last couple days I've been thinking it might be better to change my name. I just don't know what to.
    Facebook - Twitter
  • Options
    jwcoffeejwcoffee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    My vote...change the name.

-Jim-
    ADMIT= A Documented Moment In Time, It's a bit to long to spell out in a logo. However the last couple days I've been thinking it might be better to change my name. I just don't know what to.
    Jim Coffee
    Photographer, Panographer
    James Coffee Studios
    Escondido, CA
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I think that the most important thing you can take from this thread is that you don't have a talent for branding. No harm in that, it's not the business you're pursuing. Since you can't afford to pay someone else, I suggest keeping it simple. Use your real name. Keep your logo simple and approachable. The ones you've posted are all overbearing and hard-edged, not what I would want from a wedding photographer.

I hope that helps. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Oh, and look beyond your font menu when choosing a font for your card/site/etc. Go shopping for the right font. It most likely is not already installed on your computer.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I think that the most important thing you can take from this thread is that you don't have a talent for branding. No harm in that, it's not the business you're pursuing. Since you can't afford to pay someone else, I suggest keeping it simple. Use your real name. Keep your logo simple and approachable. The ones you've posted are all overbearing and hard-edged, not what I would want from a wedding photographer.

I hope that helps. thumb.gif

^ that! thumb.gif