Options

Middle School Basketball - C&C

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited February 21, 2012 in Sports
Here are a few from Tuesday's basketball games. Im still trying to work out the light placement and a few other issues. Just wanted some outside opinions since I've been staring at them for too long to be objective.

1)

i-GGPXMsz-XL.jpg

2)

i-JSRSFLj-XL.jpg

3)

i-gtx576V-XL.jpg

4)

i-XFr5skJ-XL.jpg

5)

i-7GvLJMg-XL.jpg

6)

i-kqxVZq9-XL.jpg

7)

i-dS3SHXq-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    pipsterpipster Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Looks like your lighting is really close to being dialed in. Not much to be gained. There is some light fall off in some shots but overall pretty good.

In #3 is the ball handlers face really in focus? The ball looks good but the face seems off to me.

IMO shooting basketball players from down low is the way to go for most shots.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    pipster wrote: »
    In #3 is the ball handlers face really in focus? The ball looks good but the face seems off to me.

IMO shooting basketball players from down low is the way to go for most shots.

Yes I think that the face on 3 is a shade soft, the focus seems to have grabbed the ball. As far as shooting low is concerned, I try to get as low as I can but with only 3 feet from the baseline to the wall it's a juggling act to shoot low and not get trampled by the players or the refs. But, it is a good point and I'll try to get a bit lower if I can on the next game.

Thanks for the feedback. :D
  • Options
    pipsterpipster Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    If you want to get low and are afraid of getting trampled then move out to the where the three point line intersects the baseline instead of shooting from within the key area. You may have to deal with the referee getting in the way of the shot more often but the players will be less likely to run over you from there.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    As one just entering this field (strobe-assisted sports pics) I'd be interested in knowing what your setup is. Your lights seem way softer than mine.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    From the look of the reflection in the glass backboard at the other end in #1, I'll guess he's bouncing them off the wall.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    From the look of the reflection in the glass backboard at the other end in #1, I'll guess he's bouncing them off the wall.

Good read! Yes, i haven't been able to get a consistent exposure from putting the lights in the corners and pointing them up toward the top of the key like most seem to do. The court is not placed in the middle of the building. Looking down the court, on the left side are the bleachers and it is about 50 feet from the wall to the rim. On the other side there are no bleachers and it is about 30 feet from the wall to the rim. So, anyway, like I said in the beginning, I'm still working out how to best place the lights in this gym as I have been getting erratic results. I think for the corner approach I need to get the lights a lot higher, at least thats what I'm going to try next.

For the photos in this post, they are in fact bounced off the back wall and ceiling, which make for much softer light (which I like) but limits my range to about the free throw line. The lights are SB900's (2 of them) placed one on each side about 1/3 of the way from the rim to the outside of the court on the baseline and mounted to some electrical conduit with super clamps. I can barely reach the conduit on my tip toes and I'm 6'4" so I'm guessing they are almost 8 feet up. I placed them the way that I did because the conduit runs right along the line where the wall turns from green to off white. I've had them lower before and was rewarded with a wonderful green hue on everything. Its certainly not perfect, and when I am shooting out near the free throw line I start to get some ghosting, so its defiantly a work in progress.

My goal is to get them decent enough to sell to the parents of the players. I think I'm getting close, I guess. There is not exactly a stampede to come buy my pictures. Im still working on figuring that out as well.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »

My goal is to get them decent enough to sell to the parents of the players. I think I'm getting close, I guess. There is not exactly a stampede to come buy my pictures. Im still working on figuring that out as well.

Good luck with that. Most people are satisfied with cell-phone-camera shots.
    John :
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Good luck with that. Most people are satisfied with cell-phone-camera shots.

So I take it you feel it's a bit of a non starter? I was hoping better advertising might do the trick, but maybe not.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    So I take it you feel it's a bit of a non starter? I was hoping better advertising might do the trick, but maybe not.

I'd definitely not try to build a business around selling youth sports images to parents.
    John :
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    I think you could use more ambient so the background isn't as dark. Will need to increase your ISO or lower your SS to 200. But then you may need to increase your strobe power a little to avoid ghosting. Personally, I think you will have better luck with direct flash rather than bouncing. Just position your strobes to shoot diagonally to middle court and the flash doesn't have to be directly on the players. The reflectors will direct light to the players so you don't get harsh lighting. You are wasting too much power bouncing and you can't shoot in burst. I like the color and contrast more with shooting direct rather than bouncing.

MTD03612-L.jpg
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Another couple of pointers... Especially with younger athletes, you want to get your viewpoint as low as you can. It makes the athletes look more imposing. I think you are standing up in your shots.

Also, I use 15' light stands. The higher the better for all lights.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    MDalby wrote: »

Yeah, Im defiantly going to try to get the lights up higher so as to feather the light in more.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Yeah, Im defiantly going to try to get the lights up higher so as to feather the light in more.

If you are bouncing your light, I guess it really doesn't matter. I was speaking about direct light.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    If you are bouncing your light, I guess it really doesn't matter. I was speaking about direct light.

Yeah I meant for direct light. Tried it a few times before but the lights were too low and the shadows too hard. Was a bit distracting.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    EDIT: If your SHADOWS are too hard, lower your SS and increase your ISO a bit and lower your strobe power.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Another couple of pointers... Especially with younger athletes, you want to get your viewpoint as low as you can. It makes the athletes look more imposing. I think you are standing up in your shots.

The only problem with going lower is that you may run into issues with ceiling lights ...

This was taken while standing .. low roof on the gym ...

424441_371700716191217_113338125360812_1367863_2002510704_n.jpg
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net