Options

1D Mark 2n issue

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in Cameras
Been having an odd issue with my camera over the past week. I shoot in manual but for some reason, when the light is not changing, I am getting blown out shots. I am shooting Manual and H mode in AI Servo and I shoot like this all the time, but the shots are coming out all over the spectrum of under exposed, properly exposed and over exposed. Is this a sign of the camera about to die or a failure? I have never had this issue before

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 19, 2012
    If you could post some examples, or links to examples, with full EXIF, we might be able to help more.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Maybe tomorrow. On the road now. It's really bizarre since the light source is not changing but the shots are even though I am in manual mode and not changing the settings
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    BBones wrote: »
    Been having an odd issue with my camera over the past week. I shoot in manual but for some reason, when the light is not changing, I am getting blown out shots. I am shooting Manual and H mode in AI Servo and I shoot like this all the time, but the shots are coming out all over the spectrum of under exposed, properly exposed and over exposed. Is this a sign of the camera about to die or a failure? I have never had this issue before

Is this happening with more than one lense? We used to see this with lenses when the aperture mechanism got grit or something in it. It wouldn't move smoothly and exposures were wildly variable. With these modern digital cameras, you don't get to change the lens aperture by hand any more and actually SEE it open or close. I'd check that first.

If that's working ok, have the shutter checked. Curtain may not be moving smoothly and causing variable exposures. It's probably something mechanical though. If it was electronic, you'd probably be seeing errors in the LCD.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    I'll need to test with my 70-200 and 24-70. Is there any fix to the mechanical parts that I can do?
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    BBones wrote: »
    I'll need to test with my 70-200 and 24-70. Is there any fix to the mechanical parts that I can do?

Not sure, out of my league there. Perhaps trying to see if there is any dirt or other stuff lodged in there and maybe cleaning it out with a blower. I leave the cleaning to the people who do that work.