Options

Where to Begin

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
So I am a student photographer at CCSF in San Francisco. I have been shooting since 2003 and most of the stuff I learned I learned through trial and error. I am taking classes to get a better grasp of photography. I have been shooting model photography for about a year now, most of it pro-bono to get a handle on things, but I feel it's time to start making some income.

I have my own smugmug site www.justinschlesinger.com

I want to work on a freelance basis, but if I go pro I would like that too. I feel I need some pointers and advice from the folks here on Dgrin. I find your information valuable.

--Are my prices good enough and what do you recommend in my services section? How could I structure it better if needed.

--Should I focus on one field or multiple fields of photography?

--I am always nervous to charge people at the fear of them saying sorry you are to expensive and then lose a client.

--Print wise what do you recommend as far as prices go on the various prints clients can purchase (including digital downloads)

--I was thinking of a student package for college grads???

Any advice would help a lot. Photography is something I love and would feel lost with out it.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 19, 2012
    I see a future star among us

1 have a copy writer work on cleaning up the site
    2 open up your portfolio / galleries so we can see more work
    3 think about getting an agent, FAST! or at least send an email with your link to every art director, creative director, photo editor, editorial editor at every publication you can think of and every ad agency in LA, NY and Chicago

you have a bright future!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited February 20, 2012
    You have a good start on your site, but some cleanup would be helpful. I know, I know, that's not the feedback you asked for, but...

You have a page that the viewer accesses using an entry labeled "About Me" - yet that page is written in the third person. "About Me" implies it should be in first person, not third.

If you're going to have a "Comments" page that you use for client comments, include a name with every entry. As it is it looks like you are complimenting yourself.

Your blog contains 3 entries, one from April of 2010, and 2 from 2009. I'd recommend that you either remove the blog entry from your navbar or write in your blog on a regular basis. I'd take one look at a site where the site owner is promoting a blog where the last entry is almost two years ago and I would decide not to hire you, figuring that your attention to detail isn't what it should be.

--- Denise