C & C...Couple of back-yard shots

Glide446Glide446 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 22, 2012 in Wildlife
here are a couple of shots I took with the "new" glass I bought from someone at the "flea market" on DG....

Comments

• austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    shot has lot's of potential, focus is on the bird feeder and you probably want it to be on the bird. Taking back yard pics is a lot of fun...one of the good things about it is you can shoot whenever you have the time to do it. Keep taking them
  • Glide446Glide446 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2012
    shot has lot's of potential, focus is on the bird feeder and you probably want it to be on the bird. Taking back yard pics is a lot of fun...one of the good things about it is you can shoot whenever you have the time to do it. Keep taking them

Quick question... I had the camera on a tripod, set to 3-d tracking AF remote release.... shouldn't the camera pick out the bird?
  • austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    you probably need someone with more technical expertise than me answering this question. My guess is it depends on which sensors you have activated...if you just have the center activated then a bird would have to cross that focusing point. If they are all activated then I would assume it should work. Might look at your sensor settings and see what you have going on there. Most of the time they are centered activated and looking at your shot that might be the reason it didn't work.

Someone else want to comment to this?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Glide446 wrote: »
    Quick question... I had the camera on a tripod, set to 3-d tracking AF remote release.... shouldn't the camera pick out the bird?

:nah

You have to remember that the camera is a fairly dumb machine and needs your guidance. In order to lock focus on a 3100 you either have to half press the shutter release or press the AF button. If you are using a remote release the camera has to be pre-focused. This works very well on landscapes & other static subjects but isn't that effective on moving subjects.

In this capture it looks like the camera focused on the feeder not your subject (I told you it was dumb). This is where you come in. Experiment a tad with the 3D AF's 3 modes (auto area, dynamic area, & single area) and see how they work around your feeder. Set the Focus Tracking with Lock-on to long. This setting will help because the camera's AF will be drawn to the feeder and it will delay that inclination.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"