Options

Camera / lens repair opinions?

MarcigMarcig Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 21, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all, i have a Canon 30D, and a Canon 28-135 lens that will no longer auto-focus correctly. Pretty sure it's the lens as my 50mm prime works fine on the same body. Would like to know if:

a) anyone in the Atlanta area can recommend a local company to service it
b) opinions on having it serviced locally vs. sending to Canon directly
c) if anyone has used Unitedcamera.com for service.

To that end, I need to have this thing repaired and back to me by March 10, so that factors into my decision as well.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 20, 2012
    When time is short, it's best to go with one of the larger Canon Service sites, as they are more likely to have parts on-hand. (Other places will often just carry a minimum inventory and order the rest, as needed.)

If you really "must" have something to cover the date of March 10, I highly recommend renting a lens now (but renting it for the period you need to cover.) I would not trust a recently repaired lens for anything important, unless you have a backup. Renting a suitable zoom can be very economical:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79033
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    KEH is in Atlanta. I think they still do repairs.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Marcig wrote: »
    Hi all, i have a Canon 30D, and a Canon 28-135 lens that will no longer auto-focus correctly. Pretty sure it's the lens as my 50mm prime works fine on the same body. Would like to know if:

a) anyone in the Atlanta area can recommend a local company to service it
    b) opinions on having it serviced locally vs. sending to Canon directly
    c) if anyone has used Unitedcamera.com for service.

To that end, I need to have this thing repaired and back to me by March 10, so that factors into my decision as well.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

Patrick

you can check quotes but it may not be economical to fix
  • Options
    MarcigMarcig Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Thanks Pupator I will check out KEH.

Thanks Ziggy for the feedback. The event isn't super important...but it would be nice to have the lens for sure, so I may look into renting.

@Brett - do you think the fix to repair the auto-focus would be more than the lens is worth?? I think I paid $400 for it, and it's around that price now. I don't know how much it costs straight to Canon, but a simple quote check at that Unitedcamera.com is around $90 not including shipping. That said - i know nothing about them.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    A year or so ago, my Canon 28-200 started giving me AF problems. It's not a "good" lens, probably cost in the $350 - $400 neighborhood 5 years ago, but it's my walkaround lens. Since I was going to be in the area, I dropped it off to Canon's NJ repair center. Was ready for pick up in 3 days, with a new AF motor, for $100.