Crêpes, a HorseShoe and a Chair

bluenoserbluenoser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 22, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Hello folks. This is my first post here at DG. I hope that I have placed these photos in the correct forum and that posting more than 1 pic. in a given thread is acceptable.

I am always open to fair minded comments and critiques. I hope you find some merit in these shots I took while I was strolling around downtown Toronto (Queen St. West and Spadina Ave.) a few months ago.

Young man preparing crêpes through an open window along Queen St. W.
6320348905_786a9747d0_z.jpg

Patrons taking a smoke break outside the venerable HorseShoe Tavern - Queen St. W.
6320867422_41fd2abc73_b.jpg

An old fashioned barber's chair sits empty late at night in the store front window on Spadina Ave.
6294776999_604b777ca2_z.jpg

What do you think? Good? Bad? or Ugly? Thank you for looking.

Regards,

James

Comments

• Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    I like #1 for the lighting, the look of concentration on the chef's face, and this interesting two-part image created by the glass in the center. The steam almost appears to stop there, and we have one foggy image and one very clear image. It's unique. Shame about the large black thing running across the top of the shot, that is a bit distracting. Good shot, though.

#2 isn't particularly interesting.

#3 has a beauty to it, but doesn't fall under the Street/PJ category as it is missing people and/or story.

Thanks for posting, bluenoser, welcome to the forum, and keep on shooting!
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Welcome, James. What I think: #1 and #2: ? #3 - good seeing. Quincy's right, but I don't think it matters about the category. The only problem with 3 is that you needed to get on the other side of that counter that blanks the feet of the very interesting chair. Keep at it. #3 says you've got an eye.
  • bluenoserbluenoser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I like #1 for the lighting, the look of concentration on the chef's face, and this interesting two-part image created by the glass in the center. The steam almost appears to stop there, and we have one foggy image and one very clear image. It's unique. Shame about the large black thing running across the top of the shot, that is a bit distracting. Good shot, though.

I'm glad you found this image (mostly) appealing! :) I agree with you about the black thing but if memory serves it was unavoidable. I'll keep a sharper eye out for these type of visual distractions next time.
    #2 isn't particularly interesting.

I was probably more pleased with it due to the fact that the Tavern is quite a landmark in Toronto (many famous bands have played here over the years). I appreciate your take on it though. Thanks.
    #3 has a beauty to it, but doesn't fall under the Street/PJ category as it is missing people and/or story.

Ah. I see. I guess I expanded the definition of street a bit too far. :)
    Thanks for posting, bluenoser, welcome to the forum, and keep on shooting!

Many thanks for your comments and critique! I really appreciate it!
    RSL wrote: »
    Welcome, James. What I think: #1 and #2: ? #3 - good seeing. Quincy's right, but I don't think it matters about the category. The only problem with 3 is that you needed to get on the other side of that counter that blanks the feet of the very interesting chair. Keep at it. #3 says you've got an eye.

Hi RSL. Does the "?" next to #1 and #2 indicate that you aren't sure if you like them or not? Or perhaps that they're nothing to write home about! :)

Regarding #3 - The bottom of the chair was very close to the foot of the chair and I just couldn't seem to get everything in the shot that I wanted (depending on the angle I took another element seemed to suffer) so I choose what I felt was the least of all evils! :) Thanks for the kind comment about having an eye - that is quite encouraging to hear!

Thank you both again.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Hi again, James. Yes, "?" means I don't really understand how that one got through the cull. But technically they're all good.