Options

Jumping ship from Sony. Need help choosing new gear.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    Laughing.gif !rolleyes1.gif
    At comparable price points with glass and bodies the value goes to Canon !
    seriously, go to a Canon forum like
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum
    read the stories of former Nikon users and when they compared photos
    it's fun reading!

To be honest, I don't really put much weight into what most POTN people have to say. Not trying to be snobbish or discriminatory, that's just my bias. If they want to assert that Canon bodies / lenses are a greater value, well that's fine. I'm sure for certain applications, Canon is indeed a better value.

I'm the first to mention / agree that Canon sensors are also much better at delivering better skin tones etc. with less post-production work. But as someone who has edited at least 100,000 images from EACH brand, (I do workflow as my main job) ...I have come to prefer my Nikon NEF files.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    Well I want to take that to buy a d450 body or a nikon in that range. I figure I won't do weddings for charge for at least a year or two. I just want to get started building my set up again.

The few weddings I'm doing in the coming months are free of charge for friends. They realize I'm inexperienced and don't have all the gear. Its more or less convenience for all involved lol.

Sent from mobile

the 450D is a good but old model (4 years?) In the Canon line look for something newer, at least 550D (T2i)
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/05/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i
  • Options
    ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Ecphotoman, please excuse the minor disturbance as these 2 users "poke the bear", which would be me, of course. rolleyes1.gifwink
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    the 450D is a good but old model (4 years?) In the Canon line look for something newer, at least 550D (T2i)
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/05/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i

Is there a huge difference between the T1i and T2i ? I compared them side by side using dpreview and the differences look negligible. The T2 seems to do much better video than the other, but other than that and the 3 MP difference its about the same. The images in the sample galleries look very similar as well. Am I missing something though.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Is there a huge difference between the T1i and T2i ? I compared them side by side using dpreview and the differences look negligible. The T2 seems to do much better video than the other, but other than that and the 3 MP difference its about the same. The images in the sample galleries look very similar as well. Am I missing something though.

In general a newer camera is always going to have TONS of small features that you just won't really be able to value on paper, but in the real world it will indeed make quite a difference if you go with the newest generation of cameras..

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 22, 2012
    The Canon T2i and T3i have a very similar sensor to that used in the Canon 7D and Canon 60D. The high-ISO performance is much improved over the T1i. The main problem with the Canon dRebel series is the AF section.

I would much rather have a Canon 40D (even a used 40D) for a wedding application. You really need to be thinking about using flash more than settling for ambient and high-ISO, except for the ceremony itself (assuming no flash during the ceremony.)

The primary advantage of the 40D is the much improved AF section versus "any" dRebel model. Give me competent AF over high-ISO any day. (To be clear, the latest dRebels do use a similar AF section to the 20D/30D series bodies, which were also used for weddings/events, but the 40D really is a lot better, and my keeper rate is improved with the 40D.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012

huge difference? possibly not but the T2i (550D) has a newer sensor and a few more features which seems to make a difference. Newer models like the 600D, 50D or 7D, etc. have a few more features but I would pick a new T2i/550D ($450) over a older used model like the 40D unless you need the higher FPS rate for sports or action shots
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Forgive me if this has already been suggested and I missed it (I have only scanned the thread quicklky) but have you considered a used 40d or 50d? Either would be more suited to weddings. Don't get me wrong - I have an xsi which I have kept as my backup camera even now I have a 7d, and it's a good little machine, but either of the XXd's would serve you MUCH better for the kinds of things you say you want to shoot.
    Just a suggestion.