Options

A little help is needed

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited February 22, 2012 in Technique
A while back I attended a commercial photograpy show during which a photographer mentioned a product he used when photographing items in and on unusual settings.
Basically it was a putty substance that would stick anywhere and to most anything but was very easy to remove.
For example if he wanted to photograph a fishing lure using a tree bark background he simply applied a dab of the putty to the tree and placed the lure against it in the position he wished, took his photo then removed it and the putty to use again.
I believe it was a item sold in craft stores but cannot remember the brand name.
Any help would be appreciated in locating this substance.

Thank you and good shooting to you,

Spinner

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 21, 2012
    Silly Putty? I am only half kidding, because I do not know what the user actually used, but I suspect a type of silicone putty will work, and that is what Silly Putty is. For light objects Silly Putty will adhere, and be easily removeable.

Double sided foam tape might also work.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited February 21, 2012
    "Museum Putty" seems the product 'du jour', but in olden days we used "drafting putty" and "Sanford Kneaded Eraser". Basically, any putty product that is non-marking and non-hardening should work.

Stay away from most plumbing putties, as I've found out those "do" leave marks. (Test by leaving on paper a couple of days.)

Even "Elmer's Tac 'N Stik Reusable Adhesive" works to just stabilize things, but it's pretty low in tack.

"Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive" seems the highest tack, but it's blue, so not suitable for everything.

Just Google for anything you can't find locally, or Amazon has most of these.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    My bet is on "Blu-Tac" ... by using small amounts you will probably be able to hide in the shot for most situations.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    thumb.gif Thanks for the replies everyone, I do appreciate your help I'll give the Blu-Tac a try.

Spinner :D