Options

Theme based wedding ?

mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited February 24, 2012 in Weddings
Okay I've got one wedding to shoot here in finger lakes region in September and couple is looking for theme based wedding i.e. Rustic theme, I'm not to familiar with what photographer needs to do in theme based wedding. But any pointers on this ? I looked up online but couldn't find things specifically from photographer's point of view.

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    One thing: Focus on the details! Get yourself a good macro lens, or a 35mm or 50mm prime with a good close-focus distance, heck a 24-70 2.8 usually gets close enough for 99% of details, though I do prefer a dedicated macro.

Usually for details I'll switch between an 85mm wide open, for medium-distance details (table settings, flowers, etc.) ...and a macro for everything else. (Rings, buttons, trinkets, party favors, etc.)

Take note of the overall color and texture of the theme, and make sure you capture plenty of images that showcase those elements.

If the bride is looking for advice beforehand, well, just do some google searching, maybe send her some images that other wedding photogs have taken, or just advise her based on your knowledge of light, texture, color, etc.

After you've got all that squared away though, of course don't forget to focus on the PEOPLE again. Even in the most detail-intensive weddings, I try and get details photographed quickly and efficiently, so that I can get back to the cocktail hour or whatever...

Just remember, it may be the detail shots that they love right off the bat, and the detail shots that get published in a magazine etc. ...however in 20-40 years it will be the FACES that people care about.

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    One thing: Focus on the details! Get yourself a good macro lens, or a 35mm or 50mm prime with a good close-focus distance, heck a 24-70 2.8 usually gets close enough for 99% of details, though I do prefer a dedicated macro.

Usually for details I'll switch between an 85mm wide open, for medium-distance details (table settings, flowers, etc.) ...and a macro for everything else. (Rings, buttons, trinkets, party favors, etc.)

Take note of the overall color and texture of the theme, and make sure you capture plenty of images that showcase those elements.

If the bride is looking for advice beforehand, well, just do some google searching, maybe send her some images that other wedding photogs have taken, or just advise her based on your knowledge of light, texture, color, etc.

After you've got all that squared away though, of course don't forget to focus on the PEOPLE again. Even in the most detail-intensive weddings, I try and get details photographed quickly and efficiently, so that I can get back to the cocktail hour or whatever...

Just remember, it may be the detail shots that they love right off the bat, and the detail shots that get published in a magazine etc. ...however in 20-40 years it will be the FACES that people care about.

Good luck!
    =Matt=

Thanks Matt for your comments.
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Here are some ideas from a wedding I shot

thumb.gif
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    Here are some ideas from a wedding I shot

thumb.gif

Looks like you dropped "s" out of your idea :), thanks for image.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    great thread.
    I have a Scrabble themed wedding coming up.. Matts suggestions have been written down. carefully.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    Foques wrote: »
    great thread.
    I have a Scrabble themed wedding coming up.. Matts suggestions have been written down. carefully.

That sounds exciting what are your ideas so far?

ne_nau.gif
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    I am planning on doing a lot of detail shots, like Matt mentioned. hoping to manage a shot of tiles saying "I D"and ring for O.

There will be a lot of talk with the bride, though. the girl is super creative, i'm sure she'll have a plan set for me :D
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    This sounds very exciting!

:D

Theres nothing more fun than a good planned wedding, My sister got married last year and she had a great theme!

thumb.gif

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    I've shot 2 or 3 "theme" weddings, and my advice is, if they are geeking out...don't be afraid to geek out yourself. I shot one in a planetarium, I shot a Tim Burton theme one on the beach, and I shot a "Shabby Chic" one that the bride made all of the decor. It is really pretty easy, people that put these weddings on KNOW what they want. You just need to do a little research, and come up with some concept shots before hand. For rustic, I'd shoot a lot of wide angle stuff into the woods with focused spot light. I'd also concentrate my details on the clothing if it is period. Rustic to me is too inclusive to be a "theme" wedding as opposed to be a theme for a wedding. The "shabby chic" wedding I shot is similar to that, it definitely had a unique feel, but it wasn't something you'd call by name. Be flexible, have them describe their vision in things and places but incorporate their ideas in a way that it doesn't crowd out the emotion. I'll post a couple of examples from each of the ones I've done.

497264504_BsXgB-L.jpg

groom made the flowers.
    497265005_VvjhE-L.jpg

497285526_4yFqr-L-1.jpg

497294269_XKQMS-L.jpg

497383604_uyxhp-L.jpg

981963759_v7aPj-L.jpg

981976491_SHe5P-L.jpg

982155627_pibF6-L.jpg

916475879_wt3jD-L.jpg

916730742_gjU8Q-L.jpg

916650776_3Ubuk-L-1.jpg

926031058_4ULN6-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Blurmore wrote: »
    I've shot 2 or 3 "theme" weddings, and my advice is, if they are geeking out...don't be afraid to geek out yourself. I shot one in a planetarium, I shot a Tim Burton theme one on the beach, and I shot a "Shabby Chic" one that the bride made all of the decor. It is really pretty easy, people that put these weddings on KNOW what they want. You just need to do a little research, and come up with some concept shots before hand. For rustic, I'd shoot a lot of wide angle stuff into the woods with focused spot light. I'd also concentrate my details on the clothing if it is period. Rustic to me is too inclusive to be a "theme" wedding as opposed to be a theme for a wedding. The "shabby chic" wedding I shot is similar to that, it definitely had a unique feel, but it wasn't something you'd call by name. Be flexible, have them describe their vision in things and places but incorporate their ideas in a way that it doesn't crowd out the emotion. I'll post a couple of examples from each of the ones I've done.

Thank you that definetly helps - very good collection there.