Options

Local community college basketball

BBattenfeldBBattenfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 22, 2012 in Sports
So I haven't shot much sports, but always been an athlete and definitely understand capturing action (for a beginner sports photographer)...but could absolutely use some help and experience. This is my first college basketball game I've shot, and also my first time strobing a game (2 strobes cross lighting from the track 20 ft above the baseline). Let me know what you think. It will only let me post 1 photo, so more shots here http://brianbattenfeld.smugmug.com/Sports/ECC-Mens-BBall-2012/

ANY critiques/criticisms are welcome. I know there are some focus issues.

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Exposure consistency (in the gallery) is all over the place and I see by looking at the shots, so was your ISO. Once you have a reading and a good looking histogram you should be able to stick with it and not have to change anything.

The picture you posted here looks a little hot... Were you using auto ISO? I ask because there seems to be everything from ISO 200 up to 1000 and everything in between! Auto ISO in these situations is not a good thing...
  • Options
    BBattenfeldBBattenfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2012
    Explanation
    Exposure consistency (in the gallery) is all over the place and I see by looking at the shots, so was your ISO. Once you have a reading and a good looking histogram you should be able to stick with it and not have to change anything.

The picture you posted here looks a little hot... Were you using auto ISO? I ask because there seems to be everything from ISO 200 up to 1000 and everything in between! Auto ISO in these situations is not a good thing...

No I was not using auto ISO. The reason for the change in ISO was for when I was shooting the opposite end of the court from where the strobes were pointed. I shot in manual at 1/250th 2.8. Under the lit side I was shooting at ISO 200, which was where I mostly shot for the first half. On the opposite side I was shooting at 1000. There were also a few others when I was playing with shooting on the far end. Would this be a bad approach?