Options

Telextender question needs answer

Flagstaff434Flagstaff434 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 1, 2005 in Cameras
Is it true that I cannot use Canon telextenders with my Sigma 50-500 lens? Do I need to have a Sigma telextender? It doesn't seem that this should be the case, but mine doesn't seem to fit. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Canon's website specifically states that the 1.4TC and the 2XTC can only be used on the following Canon lenses

" This tele extender can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses. "

I do not have any experience with attempting to use the Canon TC with non-Canon lenses. But I do know that is has parts that stick out and into the rear aperature of the prime lens, so. if the prime lens does not have an opening in the rear of the lens, optics WILL bump into other optics.

I would be very careful trying to use the Canon TC with non-Canon lenses myself. I'm not saying I would not carefully investigate it, but I would be cautious as I place them in proximity.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Flagstaff434Flagstaff434 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2005
    Thanks, I think you are right. It doesn't fit and "if it doesn't fit, don't force it" seems to be good advice here. Thanks so much for your reply. I almost left on a weekend trip with telextenders included for my Sigma 50-500. Instead, I will pack the Canon 100-400 and be much happier I am sure.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Thanks, I think you are right. It doesn't fit and "if it doesn't fit, don't force it" seems to be good advice here. Thanks so much for your reply. I almost left on a weekend trip with telextenders included for my Sigma 50-500. Instead, I will pack the Canon 100-400 and be much happier I am sure.
    The 1.4 TC will work on the 100-400, but it is a very slow lens at 400mm then. And a little soft perhaps.

Do you have a prime tele to use? That will work much better with a TC.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin