Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    hehe, I've got you just where I want you, Andy Williams. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    sid... I just voted for wide angle and then wondered what it REALLY means..

Can someone clarity exactly what wide angle actually is supposed to be.. I just thought it meant wide picture ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifeek7.gif
    thanks.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Can someone clarity exactly what wide angle actually is supposed to be.. I just thought it meant wide picture ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifeek7.gif
    thanks.
    On 35mm wide angle means using a short lens with a focal length of less than 50mm. He is having you on.:D
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

thanks.
    Lynn when andy was asked before he pointed us here
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    wide angle definition
    50mm or less, in 35mm equivalent. so, on canon reb or 10d, you have a factor of 1.6 to deal with. other cameras have different crop factors. digicams typically have a factor of around 4 or so. i'll have it totally clear by the time the challenge starts ;-)
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    What's going on here?
    This is the first time I've looked at this thread. People are actually voting!!???
    On a 35mm camera we may have a 35mm lens. We may have a zoom lens that goes from 35mm to 70mm. So, wide angle is the shortest lens we have. Enough said.

Andy, who's leg are you pulling here?
    rolleyes1.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    I'm really upset that most people are voting for "wide angle". I mean, that's been done to death already. I voted for "focal length of 50mm or less" which would be much more challenging, IMHO.

Come on folks, step up to the challenge and pump up the "focal length of 50mm or less " vote!thumb.gif

:heh:lol
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    hey snappy ;-)
    snapapple wrote:
    This is the first time I've looked at this thread. People are actually voting!!???
    On a 35mm camera we may have a 35mm lens. We may have a zoom lens that goes from 35mm to 70mm. So, wide angle is the shortest lens we have. Enough said.

Andy, who's leg are you pulling here?
    rolleyes1.gif

wide angle, i'm defining as 50mm or less (in 35mm equivalent). it is *not* the shortest lens you have...

*but*

i'm willing to make exceptions, if for example, you own a canon digital rebel, with a crop factor of 1.6x, and you only have a 35mm lens, that would actually be 56mm in 35mm equivalent - but in this case i'd allow it, we don't want you to have to purchase a lens just to compete in the challenge :D

k?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    wide angle, i'm defining as 50mm or less (in 35mm equivalent). it is *not* the shortest lens you have...

*but*

i'm willing to make exceptions, if for example, you own a canon digital rebel, with a crop factor of 1.6x, and you only have a 35mm lens, that would actually be 56mm in 35mm equivalent - but in this case i'd allow it, we don't want you to have to purchase a lens just to compete in the challenge :D

k?
    So Andy.. um... I'm having a senior moment... I'm back in photography 101..
    my canon D REbel lens is 18-55 this image was taken at a focal length of 28mm so that qualifies as wide angle.. right. Sorry to be so dense but I forgot all that I may have known having too much fun taking pictures.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    my canon D REbel lens is 18-55 this image was taken at a focal length of 28mm so that qualifies as wide angle.. right.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm really upset that most people are voting for "wide angle". I mean, that's been done to death already. I voted for "focal length of 50mm or less" which would be much more challenging, IMHO.

Come on folks, step up to the challenge and pump up the "focal length of 50mm or less " vote!thumb.gif

:heh:lol

DJ, sounds like it's all becoming one category, the way it's working out.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    All sounds like one category to me..
    As I said before, they all sound the same to me. I'm sorry, but I may have to take out my old Canon AE-1 film camera for this.

I have a pretty new Olympus Camedia C5050z. New, in that I have very little experience with it and it is my first digital. The specs say the lens is 7.1mm to 21.3mm, f1.8 to 2.6, 10 elements in 7 groups (whatever that means) goes on to say, "equivalent to 35mm to 105mm lens on 35mm camera." My Canon AE-1 has 3 lenses: a 35 to 75, a 35 to 135 and a 28mm wide angle. So, if I use my Olympus, I can use it in it's shortest mode or a little bit longer. I'd have to check the LED screen to see where I'm at. (nope, just checked, it doesn't say anything. Just the f1.8 to 2.6) It never seems all that wide to me, so I guess the "all the way in" mode is 35mm and that's as wide as it goes.( I used to use my Canon's 28mm to take great pictures of rooms when I was in real estate. It really got the whole room, wall to wall.)

So, is that what I do. Take pictures with my lens in all the way - no zoom? For me that is "short lens work", "50mm or less", and "wide angle" - all the same, as I said.

mwink.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :D Erm, I thought that was Andy's point all along??

headscratch.gif Maybe I mis-read it...
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    your olympus c5050 - you have a crop factor of 4.92... so you take the reported exif and multiply by 4.92 and you get the 35mm equiv focal lenght. but yeah, essentially, shoot at the widest or a snidge off of that and you'll be fine ;-)

yeah, you got it, i was just funnin' with the three choices.

benevolent challenge host is forcing the theme next time deal.gif
    snapapple wrote:
    As I said before, they all sound the same to me. I'm sorry, but I may have to take out my old Canon AE-1 film camera for this.

I have a pretty new Olympus Camedia C5050z. New, in that I have very little experience with it and it is my first digital. The specs say the lens is 7.1mm to 21.3mm, f1.8 to 2.6, 10 elements in 7 groups (whatever that means) goes on to say, "equivalent to 35mm to 105mm lens on 35mm camera." My Canon AE-1 has 3 lenses: a 35 to 75, a 35 to 135 and a 28mm wide angle. So, if I use my Olympus, I can use it in it's shortest mode or a little bit longer. I'd have to check the LED screen to see where I'm at. (nope, just checked, it doesn't say anything. Just the f1.8 to 2.6) It never seems all that wide to me, so I guess the "all the way in" mode is 35mm and that's as wide as it goes.( I used to use my Canon's 28mm to take great pictures of rooms when I was in real estate. It really got the whole room, wall to wall.)

So, is that what I do. Take pictures with my lens in all the way - no zoom? For me that is "short lens work", "50mm or less", and "wide angle" - all the same, as I said.

mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    So Andy.. um... I'm having a senior moment... I'm back in photography 101..
    my canon D REbel lens is 18-55 this image was taken at a focal length of 28mm so that qualifies as wide angle.. right. Sorry to be so dense but I forgot all that I may have known having too much fun taking pictures.

yep - 18mm x 1.6 crop factor = 28.8mm in 35mm equivalent. so you can go up to 31.25mm on your lens marking and still be under 50mm in 35mm equivalent :grin don't worry, nobody will be dq'd for a mm off here or there deal.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yep - 18mm x 1.6 crop factor = 28.8mm in 35mm equivalent. so you can go up to 31.25mm on your lens marking and still be under 50mm in 35mm equivalent :grin don't worry, nobody will be dq'd for a mm off here or there deal.gif
    Andy, I wish you hadn't clarified your intention with the subject. I was going to ask if I could vote more than once. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was hoping for wide angle. I have it figured out that that means I keep the same lens on the camera, the kit lens, since I have a Rebel. 18 to something.

I still would like to vote for all three. Just wish I could get a really wide angle lens. I guess they cost an arm and a leg. I used to have an 18 mm in film photography, my Nikon. Then I was lusting after a fish eye lens. Next you will want us to shoot with that. How wide a lens do you have, Andy?

ginger
    Wider lens envy!
    But no changing lenses, in my case, yeah!!!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    hey ginger

yeah, that kitty lens is quite good, keep it at 18, up to no more than 30 and you'll be fine for the challenge.

i have a canon 16-35L f/2.8, yeah it's a bloody fortune but worth it i think ;-)

ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, I wish you hadn't clarified your intention with the subject. I was going to ask if I could vote more than once. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I was hoping for wide angle. I have it figured out that that means I keep the same lens on the camera, the kit lens, since I have a Rebel. 18 to something.

I still would like to vote for all three. Just wish I could get a really wide angle lens. I guess they cost an arm and a leg. I used to have an 18 mm in film photography, my Nikon. Then I was lusting after a fish eye lens. Next you will want us to shoot with that. How wide a lens do you have, Andy?

ginger
    Wider lens envy!
    But no changing lenses, in my case, yeah!!!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I was just gonna say, that for the majority of us with the Drebel kitty as our shortest lens, it don't matter what we vote for.

the fact that there was only 3 choices should have been a dead giveaway as to there wasn't really a choice. The teacher has given the assignment, and we must complete it.

Or then again, I have been eyeing those Sigma 8mm fisheye's on ebay...
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Or then again, I have been eyeing those Sigma 8mm fisheye's on ebay...
    :D

Oooh, that would be wicked!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Oooh, that would be wicked!
    yeah, on second thought, a little too wicked for my wallet. 2 lenses in as many weeks would be pushing it. And I ran out of old stuff to sell on ebay - it all went towards the lens i just picked up from Andy. Looking forward to exploiting that one though! 28 still counts for all these challenges, right?
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    28mm x 1.6 is 44.8 so keep it on 28mm eric ..
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, on second thought, a little too wicked for my wallet. 2 lenses in as many weeks would be pushing it. And I ran out of old stuff to sell on ebay - it all went towards the lens i just picked up from Andy. Looking forward to exploiting that one though! 28 still counts for all these challenges, right?

and that'll work great. btw - you've received the pkg?
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    andy wrote:
    and that'll work great. btw - you've received the pkg?
    not yet...
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    not yet...

It's in the mail. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It's in the mail. naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif

i think i mailed it. hehehehe
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i think i mailed it. hehehehe
    I think you did too...

cause i'm holding it right now!!! Challenge 18 look out, I'm going on a new-toy induced shooting rampage in about 2 hours!!!

thanks andy! :D:D:D
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    and the winner is ....
    "wide angle" heheheh what a surprise! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif

y'all are really gonna like this one. if you want some inspiration, here's a great gallery of a couple hundred wide angle shots, stf challenge 71
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    "wide angle" heheheh what a surprise! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif
    you really are sooooo sneaky deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    A couple of questions re Wiiiiiide
    andy wrote:

y'all are really gonna like this one. if you want some inspiration, here's a great gallery of a couple hundred wide angle shots, stf challenge 71

I have a serious question: is a Wide Angle shot different from any photo shot with a wide angle lens?

Important question!

Also, since these are to be wide angle, well cropping would kind of defeat that purpose, would it not?

So, exactly how much, if any, are we "allowed" to crop?

Or are all photos to be "as is" as far as crop, hehehe. No straightening, etc.

That would be OK with me, hehe!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    wide angle definition
    wide angle definition

a shot, taken with a lens of 50mm or less (in 35 mm equivalent).

no cropping is allowed in this challenge.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have a serious question: is a Wide Angle shot different from any photo shot with a wide angle lens?

Important question!

Also, since these are to be wide angle, well cropping would kind of defeat that purpose, would it not?

So, exactly how much, if any, are we "allowed" to crop?

Or are all photos to be "as is" as far as crop, hehehe. No straightening, etc.

That would be OK with me, hehe!

ginger