Options

Which to use umbrella vs box

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited March 9, 2012 in People

Comments

• Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Observation: you can't beat umbrellas for portability ...
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Observation: you can't beat umbrellas for portability ...

Which is why, at least for now, I'm digging the Apollo umbrella style soft-box from Westcott.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    SB's are also helpful outdoors since they avoid Mary Poppins syndrome.... :D

I just got an Apollo-style SB which I can't wait to try soon - it's bigger than any of my other modifiers at 2x4' (although I believe that's about the equivalent of the 45" Photek, the shape will mean I can do different things with light falloff on shoulders depending on how I position it. At least that's what I hope!).

Thanks for the article, Charles! I do find it interesting they would use a parabolic for the comparison, since most people wind up using your basic shoothru or bounce version initially. As I understand it (and do correct me if I'm wrong) parabolics distribute the light in a very different way, and are much brighter, meaning a significant difference from the look a SB gives than, say, an ordinary white shoothru.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Perfect timing. thanks!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Softboxes are just as easy now to put up as umbrellas. Dennys has come out with a box that works just like an umbrella,,,,,,,,no excuses now!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Still the look of the umbrella catch light is more pleasing than any thing rectangle shaped... I have one SB and it is headed for ebay real soon.... it is great for products where I do not want nice catch lights but I hate them for portraits ... jmvho ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    Never had a client make a comment about shape of catch lights only photographers. We seem t
    o be our own worst enemt.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Never had a client make a comment about shape of catch lights only photographers. We seem t
    o be our own worst enemt.

I have had clients ask about it when I have done shoots with both and they see the catch lights...it was years ago, but that made me go to umbreallys only...now we do have oct. SB's ... which could be an option ... ... ... but they take up more storage room also..

Yes ... YES .. you are so correct ...we are our own worst enemies ... .. thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    I thought I'd pitch in, as a have used all those modifiers a couple of times... mwink.gif

Umbrellas:

Silver ones deliver pretty much 100% output and, in some cases, can focus the light thus delivering more light that a bare bulb (I'm not talking about a bulb with a good parabolic reflector) in a local area.

Spillage is moderate.
    The white ones do tend to lose at least 1 stop (if not more) and spill like crazy. The only thning worse spill-wise is the brollybox (shoot-through umbrellas)

Parabolic umbrellas, though more expensive, deliver higher quality and less spill. I have an 86" Paul Buff's PLM and it's a total joy to work with, espcially on location (indoors):

i-zwWS2Ph-L.jpg

And yes, as Diva mentioned, outdoors they fly away like there is no tomorrow...

Softboxes:
    while some light loss is inevitable due to (usually two) diffusion layers, the light quality is hard to beat and the spillage is minimum, especially if you put on a grid. Naturally, the quality comes at a price and a certain (but not over the top) complication during the setup.

As for the shape of the catchlights... To each is own. I personally prefer rectangular ones since at least they imitate the window shape. Round catchlight is a single tell-tell sign of the artificial lighting, and there is nothing round in nature - except, naturally, sun and moon, but neither produces anything bigger than a tiny spec where the shape is undistinguisheable.
    The only one catchlight shape I personally hate with a passion is a donut shape of the ring flash. But that's just me :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    See, and I'm the opposite to Art - I prefer complex catchlights most of all (eg from large natural light sources such as multiple windows/doors/skylights etc), and then I prefer the window-shape of the square ones. Fortunately, we can cater for all tastes these days as so many choices available!

Since I shoot speedlights instead of studio strobes, it's GREAT that there are finally so many options for smaller flashes now. Sure, it's fun to use the big kid "real" strobes, but in my home studio space speedlights are not only cheaper, but WAY more practical both in terms of footprint and power (or lack thereof). David Hobby really started a movement going, and it's nice to be able to benefit thumb.gif

ETA (I was writing while Nik was posting)
    As for the shape of the catchlights... To each is own. I personally prefer rectangular ones since at least they imitate the window shape. Round catchlight is a single tell-tell sign of the artificial lighting, and there is nothing round in nature - except, naturally, sun and moon, but neither produces anything bigger than a tiny spec where the shape is undistinguisheable.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Nice article Hack, thanks.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Softboxes are just as easy now to put up as umbrellas. Dennys has come out with a box that works just like an umbrella,,,,,,,,no excuses now!

Cool product, but $200 for a 32" x 40" is definitely an "excuse", at least for me. I leave mine assembled and put them in the back of my truck.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I attended a workshop a few days ago by Scott Kelby, he was not promoting products but he did say a octa softbox was the one thing that was a must have if you were to buy anything.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    I attended a workshop a few days ago by Scott Kelby, he was not promoting products but he did say a octa softbox was the one thing that was a must have if you were to buy anything.
    I have a huge respect for Mr. Kelby, so I *respectfully* disagree. mwink.gif
    There are lot's of things in studio lighting gear you may need to get BEFORE or INSTEAD OF getting an octabox. OB's really just another modifier, not a mandatory angel of the totem pole. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Ditto Nik.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Which is why, at least for now, I'm digging the Apollo umbrella style soft-box from Westcott.
    Indeed!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    A recent Adorama article about softboxes to add some more fuel to the fire....
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Not much studio work here...but I use a $40. umbrella style softbox, 42". I use this outside and inside.
    Pop it open, put it in the slot on the stand and good to go...if the wind blows it over it will bend...I can unbend it a couple times before I need to replace it. Another $40.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    FWIW softboxes/brollyboxes are advantageous over umbrellas for the outdoor work as the have less "wind catching" capabilities. They may fall (as their crossection is still large), but they will hardly fly.

At any rate I prefer to work with bare (gelled) flashes outdoors for the following reasons:
    1. I'm always trying to get my images to look as natural as humanly possible. The natural light source here is SoCal is a direct sun - the harshest light ever, as we almost never have any clouds to diffuse it. Mixing it with artificially softened light just doesn't feel right
    2. No light loss in the fight against the power of the aforementioned sun
    3. Less (*way* less) chances of the light(s) being knocked down by the wind
    4. Less equipment to carry/care about mwink.gif