Options

WTB: Basic point and shoot for fiance

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Flea Market
My fiance and my two year anniversary is approaching in a bit over a week (and no I don't need it here in time for a week) and I am really trying to not to spend too much on him since we are strapped for money and need to be putting excessive "savings" towards college rather than each other--- he's a pretty novice user and so I was going to get him a point and shoot since he has showed interest in getting a camera since I upgraded my camera (specifically, he wanted my old camera, but my dad made me give that to the family since my dad bought me the new camera and could pull strings like that).

If it has the ability to do manual functions on it as well, that would be pretty useful so he could eventually learn what all the functions my camera has...but if not that would be ok too. I have no preference for type of memory card it takes as I have no random extra cards lying around.

Basically I'm looking for something you're done with that's still in good condition and you'd be willing to part with at a fair price. Let me know if any of you have point and shoot's you want to get rid of!

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    I would recommend the Canon Powershot S200. It has the ability to set manual settings as well. You should be able to find a good price on eBay.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    I was comparing that to the Canon A520 and the A520 was a little lower in price but seemed to be overall a slightly better camera.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I don't know anything about the A520. I know about the S200 from personal experience. I will also say it is rugged. I fell into a lake with mine in my pocket this summer (this is not recommended). I took the battery out and let it air dry for a couple of days and it still works great!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    PM sent
    Shima wrote:
    My fiance and my two year anniversary is approaching in a bit over a week (and no I don't need it here in time for a week) and I am really trying to not to spend too much on him since we are strapped for money and need to be putting excessive "savings" towards college rather than each other--- he's a pretty novice user and so I was going to get him a point and shoot since he has showed interest in getting a camera since I upgraded my camera (specifically, he wanted my old camera, but my dad made me give that to the family since my dad bought me the new camera and could pull strings like that).

If it has the ability to do manual functions on it as well, that would be pretty useful so he could eventually learn what all the functions my camera has...but if not that would be ok too. I have no preference for type of memory card it takes as I have no random extra cards lying around.

Basically I'm looking for something you're done with that's still in good condition and you'd be willing to part with at a fair price. Let me know if any of you have point and shoot's you want to get rid of!
    -Carey

Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 1.8 II, Tamron AF 19-35 3.5-4.5, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/4L, Speedlite 580EX, Manfrotto Digi Mini 718B.