Oil drops - a different technique

rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited March 4, 2012 in Holy Macro
I had a go yesterday at replicating the oil drop shots that have been posted here, which are excellent. Didn't have much luck - couldn't get the drops to form properly (used olive oil). So I tried a different technique.

I mixed equal parts of olive oil and water in a plant spray-bottle and sprayed the drops directly onto a CD (to get the colours). The drops beaded very nicely, and actually stayed there even when I repositioned the CD. And it has produced some very strong vibrant colours. I used a single studio flash head with soft-box diffuser for lighting, which gives excellent lighting, but keeps it nice and soft.

Any comments (such as 'the colour is hurting my eyes!') are welcome.

6781564086_569d4b7535_o.jpg
clockwork orange by macro meister, on Flickr

6927683713_e892cfe838_o.jpg
size matters - even for oil drops by macro meister, on Flickr

6781563222_5409a8a975_o.jpg
not worth going to war for by macro meister, on Flickr

And of course, I couldn't do this without getting carried away with the plugin filters :rofl

6781563414_0ae212632a_o.jpg
centre of attraction by macro meister, on Flickr

Comments

• PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Rob,
    These are wonderful!!!!!!! These are art that needs to be on my wall. Great images.
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    ... These are art that needs to be on my wall...

I was thinking of that last one for the wall of my downstairs toilet, but the wife's (numerous) degree certificates are already there...rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for the nice comments.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Lovely series- esp like the last one.
    Brian v.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Rob, these are AWESOME!!! Love these! I think I may borrow the spray bottle idea if you don't mind!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • rob marshallrob marshall Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    I think I may borrow the spray bottle idea if you don't mind!clap.gifclapclap.gif

Not at all. Love to see your efforts. What I like about this kind of macro photography is the infinite variation that is possible, and you never know how something is going to turn out.

If you want to just have a few drops, or perhaps just one, use a pipette to drop the solution. You can also use glycerine (from a pharmacy) either neat or mixed with water, instead of oil.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    These are really cool! I may have to try this. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com