Options

And One That's Well On Its Way......

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited March 1, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Those of you that have followed my barn shots will recognize " Henry ". That's the name I gave this old barn years ago. I would travel by it almost daily as I went to my old mountain place. A couple years ago, a severe snow and ice storm pretty much did old Heny in. He has served his owner well for a long, long time. Believe it or not, the owner still uses this barn on a limited basis. I'm afraid to stand next to it....let alone go into it.

This is probably the last shot I'll ever get of Henry. It's one of those that the wood buyers have decended upon. The old owner can really use the money so Henry is soon to be gone. Kind of sad. It's like losing an old friend.

Tom

mountains-12-11-151-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 25, 2012
    A photo studio in my area bought the wood from an old barn. They used it to make frames for their photos. Sad to see the old barn go but the wood sure made some nice picture frames!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Well they don't build 'em like they used to.. (miners shack)

http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Parks-So-Utah-Ragspix/1762021_z2vxtH#!i=87716365&k=XbghF&lb=1&s=A

don't untie me...
    Rags
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    And we have another winner... thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    captain78 wrote: »
    A photo studio in my area bought the wood from an old barn. They used it to make frames for their photos. Sad to see the old barn go but the wood sure made some nice picture frames!

Thanks for looking in, Jeff. Yea, a lot of the old barn wood goes to frames. A lot more goes to custom cabinetry, flooring, and a whole host of other uses.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Well they don't build 'em like they used to.. (miners shack)

http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Parks-So-Utah-Ragspix/1762021_z2vxtH#!i=87716365&k=XbghF&lb=1&s=A

don't untie me...

Well, I have to admit, Rags. That old miner shack does look to be pretty stout.

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    And we have another winner... thumb.gif

:D

Don

Thanks, Don. I always appreciate your visits.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I really can imagine how you feel. At least it had a fine photographer.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Very nice, Tom! It's great that you've been able to document it over the years. It looks like it is still standing simply by force of habit.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I really can imagine how you feel. At least it had a fine photographer.

Thanks, Don, for the very kind words.

Even though the property for my new place ( just 20 miles from the old one ) is across the state line into TN, I still cruise the old neighborhood looking for photo ops. It's going to be a strange feeling when I round the bend in this beautiful valley and don't see Henry staring me in the face.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! It's great that you've been able to document it over the years. It looks like it is still standing simply by force of habit.

Thanks for your support, John.

Your words about the old barn carry more weight than you know. The perspective of this shot does not convey well the fact that old Henry has a very pronounced lean to the left....or toward my shooting position. It must be very close to a 20 degree lean. As I noted earlier, I'm amazed that the owner still goes into the place.

Be well,

Tom
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    thinking about your series, you might like to label each shot (location & date), cause if these are disappearing; the series would have neat historical value.

something to talk to your grandchildren about... :D
    Rags
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Don't you need some barn wood for your new place? You could frame Henry's picture in pieces of himself. :D Still lovin' this series, Tom.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Thanks, Don, for the very kind words.

Even though the property for my new place ( just 20 miles from the old one ) is across the state line into TN, I still cruise the old neighborhood looking for photo ops. It's going to be a strange feeling when I round the bend in this beautiful valley and don't see Henry staring me in the face.

Take care,

Tom

Have you moved to Tennessee? Or, is it just a vacation place?

I was thinking of you today. I was in Jax Beach visiting my daughter
    and saw a billboard advertising the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance
    to be held March 9/11 and thinking "Tom will be there".
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Don't you need some barn wood for your new place? You could frame Henry's picture in pieces of himself. :D Still lovin' this series, Tom.

Lauren

I have been promised a good hunk of the front door. I will find an appropriate place for it in my new home. The owner is also giving me the " Eat More Possum " sign that's been hanging there for ages.:ivar

Tom

The top portion ( with the window ) of the left-side door is the part I'll get. I'll pick a special place for that sign ( stuck here on the right-side door ) in my new digs.

1059822757_petce-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Have you moved to Tennessee? Or, is it just a vacation place?

I was thinking of you today. I was in Jax Beach visiting my daughter
    and saw a billboard advertising the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance
    to be held March 9/11 and thinking "Tom will be there".

It's great to hear from you, Tony. The old homestead I had in Boone, NC for 25 years was just a vacation place. As my wife and I contemplated moving up to the Appalachians on a full-time basis, we decided to opt for a new place that didn't entail so much property to take care of. We elected to sell the old place and bought land 20 miles away, just across the border into TN. We'll build the new place there.

Yes, I've been anxiously awaiting the Amelia Island show. It's an event you should try and make one year.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Tom - I do remember now that you said you'd be getting part of the door. I'd forgotten about the possum sign. Hope I get to see your TN place one day. We could go out for a shoot in the mountains. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    I feel so sad when old buildings are torn down or fall down. Glad to hear your getting a piece to have at your new place. Cute sign :D