DSS #97 - Zoo Eyes

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited February 26, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
I would appreciate hearing any Comments about these. I know what my favorite is and my least favorite... and I am pretty sure I know which I will enter, but I would love some of the valuable insight from here to let me know if I am missing something.

I was thrilled to see the theme this week since I had a trip to the Dallas Zoo planned for yesterday. Turns out that the animals were not a co-operative as I would have liked. My son got a kick out of how the animals would almost always turn their back to me as soon as I lifted the camera. If I walked away, they turned back around. Despite all that I managed a few good shots during the day and also learned that I still need a lot more practice with my camera to get used to the way it works.

Thanks!

1)
IMG1158-hdr2-L.jpg

2)
IMG1120-hdr-L.jpg

3)
IMG1331-hdr-L.jpg

Comments

• bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Oh, it's #2 by a landslide for me. That's just great -- I love the feeling of humanity that is evoked. I want to know what s/he's thinking about! The close crop focuses on the similarity to us; it really works well.

Technically, you managed to get good light in the shadows, which is always tough at the zoo. A little less shadow across his nose would be better, but these aren't things one can control. Good use of the negative space on the left to give him somewhere to look, offsetting the subject from the center, but keeping (his) right eye close to the center of the frame.

Well done!

If I may, compared to #3: #3 has plenty of good technical things, good light, very sharp... and probably 1/10th of the emotional impact of #2. That's why I find #2 so much more compelling.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I agree with Brian... of these #2 for sure! Great expression!
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    #2 for me as well. Great shot!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Yup. Another vote for #2.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    I thought #2 would be best for the challenge too. I love the bird, but it just doesn't have the same connection as the Chimp does. Looks like that is the one to enter unless someone else sees a problem with it.
    :D
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Love #2, great color and texture, eyes show emotion.
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    I hope you place 2 in the cchallenge!! As soon as scrolled down to the image I was pulled right into it. I felt as if I was invited into his thoughts about being in the zoo. Those eyes are so captivating. I think if you put anything in other than that one you would be making a big mistake. I am a newb and I hear all the time about the "WOW' factor and how an image is supposed to "POP" well, I believe with image 2 you have both wow factor and the image popped for me. thumb.gifclap.gif :ivarwings.gif

I wish you the very best of luck in this challenge.

Love & Prayers
    Darryl
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
    edited February 26, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    I hope you place 2 in the cchallenge!! As soon as scrolled down to the image I was pulled right into it. I felt as if I was invited into his thoughts about being in the zoo. Those eyes are so captivating. I think if you put anything in other than that one you would be making a big mistake. I am a newb and I hear all the time about the "WOW' factor and how an image is supposed to "POP" well, I believe with image 2 you have both wow factor and the image popped for me. thumb.gifclap.gif :ivarwings.gif

I wish you the very best of luck in this challenge.

Love & Prayers
    Darryl

Thanks Darryl, I appreciate that.
    #2 is in the gallery now, so unless I come across something even more amazing that will probably be it.
    edited February 26, 2012
    Love #2, great color and texture, eyes show emotion.
    Thanks Troy
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Another vote for 2. That is a great shot!
    edited February 26, 2012
    endurodog wrote: »
    Another vote for 2. That is a great shot!

Thanks! Nice to know people agree. :D