Premiere Pro import jumpy

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited February 26, 2012 in Video
When I import video into Premiere Pro, it plays with a lag, or kinda jumpy. Anyone know what the problem might be. I'm very new to video.

Wes

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    It may be that the system you are running on doesn't have enough memory to do the rendering fast enough. When its playing jumpy can you see if your disk light is blinking. If it is you might need more memory.

For example my premiere system has 12GB of memory and a 4 core, hyperthreaded processor and I've not noticed an jitter.

In premiere after you import a clip you can play it directly. Is that what is jittery when you play. After you have played once is it smooth after that?

Clixphoto wrote: »
    When I import video into Premiere Pro, it plays with a lag, or kinda jumpy. Anyone know what the problem might be. I'm very new to video.

Wes
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Thanks Dan. I actually had not rendered the clip before trying to play it. After I rendered the clip it played fine. I am trying to learn how to use the program and the manual is way over my head. I need a glossary of terms. I don't even know what rendering is actually. Or a sequence, bit rate, HD-SDI, timecode, assets, and in or out points for that matter. I need a tutor.

Wes
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    What kind of input are you using?

When you first start premiere it asks/makes a sequence for you. A sequence is basically where you put the clips you want to use to create a video. A sequence has tracks, as many as you want. When you are done you select the sequence, go to file export media and follow a few more menues and create a video in whatever format you want. The tracks act a lot like layers in Photoshop.

The project window holds list of things in the project, including sequences (you can have more then one sequence if you want) and all the clips you are going to work with. You import clips into the project, then drag and drop them onto one of the tracks in the sequence.

There two sources of Premiere training that I know of. One is Lynda.com. The course are not bad, they seem to make a lot of assumptions about what you already know. I get the feeling they are more oriented at people who have used other NLE's (non linear editors, meaning you can poke around and rearrange things) but need to come up to speed on Premiere. However the http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Pro-1-5-tutorials/essential-training/129-2.html is a pretty good start. You can sign up for a month for $25. I'd suggest going through the courses on Lynda.

Another place is http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobepremierebasics and http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobepremierepro . The tutorials are good but are not arranged very well so you have to kind of dig around to find things. But I would do the lynda stuff first.

Also the Adobe.com also has some premiere tutorials, but again you will have to root around to find what you want.

It takes a while to really undertand what's going on, but it's a really sharp tool... becareful you don't slice of a finger with it :D. I use it mostly to make course videos, though sometimes that include video from my 7D.

In terms of terminology... that was the hardest part for me. I think a real life film editor would have not trouble with, but for the most part the tutorials assume you already know what a four-point-garbage mate is. You kinda have go through a tutorial to not only find out how to use something, but just to find out what the something is.

Clixphoto wrote: »
    Thanks Dan. I actually had not rendered the clip before trying to play it. After I rendered the clip it played fine. I am trying to learn how to use the program and the manual is way over my head. I need a glossary of terms. I don't even know what rendering is actually. Or a sequence, bit rate, HD-SDI, timecode, assets, and in or out points for that matter. I need a tutor.

Wes