Options

First Wedding - Story and images

SnaphaanSnaphaan Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited April 7, 2012 in Weddings
This is kind of a follow-up thread from this one. I had come here to dgrin for some advice on my first wedding shoot. I'm a landscape photographer that's been dragged into this very reluctantly and after this ordeal I must say it's every bit as nerve wrecking as I've heard.

This is my gear:
Canon 1100D with kit lens (18-55mm)
Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
Olympus PEN E-PL1
320EX with diffuser
tripod
Lots of memory cards and Batteries

And here's the story...

This whole day reminded me of my first karate competition 10 years ago. I was nervous as hell. The first moment I climbed into that ring I left almost everything I learned outside and went in like some Viking berserk. All I thought of was I just need to hurt this guy more than he's gonna hurt me. I lost but at least I learned something.

First, I want to make it clear. I'm not very social and not always comfortable around people. So you might understand my hesitation, delays and quite frankly messed-up approach to specific problems.

Everything happened quite fast. When we arrived at her mother's husband/boyfriend home I was quickly shown around the place and then everyone started getting ready, except the grandpa. He went to watch TV.

I started shooting this and that but after a while got more and more focused. That E-PL1 was quite handy sometimes. It was light and easy to handle so I just popped a number of photo's from weird angles. No one really paid attention to it. I guess it wasn't as 'in-your-face' as the 1100D (not that it is a big either). But it's not a camera I will ever take with me as a backup - EVER AGAIN. More about that later.

I was nervous so I didn't pay enough attention to me settings (either the PEN or the 1100D). At some point my ISO was at 1600! Luckily I changed it early and before I took the better and more focused shots. But it kept happening from time to time which really annoyed me. I sometimes got totally en-wrapped in what I do and I had both cameras hanging around me. The E-PL1 I used for the wider angle stuff and the 1100D had the 50mm. It's a quick swap but I sometimes see something and I'm like 'ooooh!' and I swing around the other camera and snap, snap... chimping... oh no! And the moment is gone. I swear, I felt like I need four bodies for this.

The 50mm was terrific but I have to say it's pretty difficult to work with in close quarters. But it does make some amazing images. And as I've read time and time again it's sharp. Incredibly, horribly sharp except when you are shooting with bloody dimmed lights with a few minuscule candles. I'll get to that in a bit.

My favorite part was when she started getting dressed (uh,...no, it's not what you think. Never mind. *sigh*). That light from the window really got me excited and I was shooting like there was no tomorrow. But not the 50mm, the E-PL1. The great thing with the PEN was the fact that I could compose and shoot my image here and even keep a eye on the bride or whoever else might be around. One problem, actually the real problem with the PEN is that it's a nightmare to make changes fast. How many times did I accidently press that bloody zoom button... and I lost some important moments right by the church. Or the freaken record button. Jeez, too many $%#@ buttons just too close together. I don't even have thick sausage fingers. I think this is the BIGGEST gripe I have with this camera in a fast moving world like a wedding. I'd take it as a third camera, because of it's IQ in such a compact size. If they could resize the 1100D's viewfinder to 2 inches and just compact the bloody thing into the PEN's body with the same button layout I would be seriously Wowed. I know that a lot of pro-photographers seem to find that people don't take you seriously but hell I wish I didn't even have buttons and I could talk to the damn thing. Wouldn't that be something.

Anywayz. After taking a family photo outside we went to church. Well, me the mom and whoever else. Now here's where the $%# really happened. See I got my 1100D with the 50mm for inside and the E-PL1 outside for the bride. No worries. As she approached I took some nice photos's, great shots of her in the car and a few outside but then... as her grandpa (father left long ago) took her up the church, the music played and I'm fumbling around trying to get out of the freaken zoom mode and then suddenly I was recording. Oh god no! So I swung the PEN around grabbed my 1100D and thought, "I better sure as hell get something with this".

No go.

There were people with cameras in front, and for some reason I couldn't get close enough to her to get a nice framed shot with the groom in the back. The shot I really wanted to take. Oh man, my stomach made a real churn and I was sweating nervously. I just messed up a good moment really bad. No time to cry. Just cover the ceremony as best you could. Right. That, at least I did good. And when they walked finally stepped out into that (hopefully) bright future of husband and wife I was shooting Hi-q moments at 3ps/second. You see, I did the exact same mistake I was warned about in guides, tutorials and wherever I read up on wedding photography. Make sure you change your settings before you go outside. Yeah, I'll remember that now. At least a number of people covered that so I'm kind of in the safe zone. I hope. I just can't believe I forgot that.

The group shots went fast. Very few people and everyone just wanted to get out of the heat. They wanted the church in the back. Great, no problem. Except that glaring sun to the front and side is really horrid. But oh well. I did throw them at the bottom of the steps and took a photo looking a bit down. That came out nice and I'm glad I did. But I pushed my luck for another nice shot. Everyone grumbled and moaned, rolling eyes. So I left it grudgingly.

Oh well. So me and the newly weds... oh wait, what? So I've got a string of people who wants to tag along and see what happens? Oh god no. Very well. *sigh*. I did get some nice shots but I didn't get to shoot all I wanted because I was overly considered about the extra people tagging along and because of that I didn't want to drag out the formal shoots. As I said, I'm not a people person and I could have commandeered this wedding platoon a bit better but I didn't know how. I must add, I did plan these shots out long before (which helped immensely) but due to my shyness I kind of forgot everything I planned.

You know, people skills are one thing that no book (I've seen) or guide teaches you about wedding photography. I don't think they can. It's something you have to see or experience for yourself.

So after that I was thrown in a car and dropped off at the venue. I've been there before and given a idea of what it will be like but I wasn't quite prepared for the shocker. Dim, dim lights and small little candles and most of the window light was very subdued. There's a pulse quickening desperation when I realized I've stepped into a world I am not sure how to handle. I was kind of mentally preparing for something like the church but not this. Jeez. After the first couple of shots I looked down bitterly at my little PEN and tucked it away safely for the rest of the night.

After shooting about 1/30 at 1.8 (ISO 1600). for the first 15min or 1/2 hour I pulled out my speedlight.

I took hundreds of photos simply out of sheer panic. After getting a feel for the flash unit the real problem wasn't so much the light anymore but the focusing. I've missed so many shot because I couldn't get focus. There's just not always enough contrast. Out of desperation I switched of AF and manually tried to wing it. Very few are pin sharp but it's a LOT better than trying to grab a faint obscure rim of light to focus on. I dunno. Also, I just remembered something now. Why didn't I use the flash to help with he focusing! It's probably annoying like hell but it could have really helped.

At one stage I was chased away and ordered to eat. Then I was shoved a beer in the hand and the rest of the night was spend looking for my lens caps and trying to befriend a guy who thinks I'm gonna sell him out to the cops.

Well, that's about it and about as honest as I can get about that day. I messed up but I also tried my really best and I hope that the good shots make up for some of the bad. Will I do it again? Maybe, but then I want something like a 550D (with my 1100D as backup) and learn to work better with a speedlight and hectic low light situations.

Thanks for reading my story and I hope it helps some other first-timer who draws the short straw on his friend's cousin's wedding day.

Here are some of my personal likes. Yeah, I'm biased toward the bride. One thing that bothers me a bit is that I don't have enough of the groom. I have no idea how that happened. I just didn't see him enough and also, as I said, I complicated matters for myself a bit during the formals.

shoes.jpg

gettingdressed.jpg

fixing.jpg

eyes.jpg

kiss.jpg

pose.jpg

dance.jpg

clock.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Tough story! Thank you for sharing though. There is a lot to learn here for everybody and not many people are willing to share that they had such a hard time.

You forgot the most important thing: are they satisfied with the photos you gave them?? From what you've shown here I think they'll be more forgiven than you are mwink.gif

I've done only a few weddings but in between these weddings I did many party shoots including several formal dances for my students. These are usually in very dim venues with all sorts of different (colored) lighting, ceilings and walls. The plus is: there is no real pressure due to less to no posing and no key shots like the kiss (plenty of kisses to go around on a students party mwink.gif These parties are an excellent opportunity to get your gear out and play around, practice not only the technical aspect, but also your interaction with (drunken) people. And it is great fun to be there. As someone said in the posts leading up to the wedding: try to have fun and relax and everything will go a lot smoother.

Good luck next time and hopefully you didn't lose too much sleep over this!
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    I haven't done a ton of weddings. I don't like 'em much - and I'd only ever do it for the money, which, frankly, may not be the best motivation in the world.

One thing I would do again, however, is keep control. We had contracts that stipulated we would stop shooting the moment Uncle Fester pulled out his point-and-shoot to start capturing images we were trying to compose. The rule was - we shoot first, relatives get the leftovers. IN other words, we're the photographers. They're the guests. And we made it abundantly clear that we had no problems with Uncle Fester pulling out his f2.8 70-200 .... once we'd done our thing. But only once we were done.

I think a bit more control would have helped. But weddings are frantic things and your job is to be the calm in the storm. Next time, you'll do better. It's all a learning experience.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    Svennie wrote: »
    You forgot the most important thing: are they satisfied with the photos you gave them?? From what you've shown here I think they'll be more forgiven than you are mwink.gif

Fact is, they still need to see these! But thank you. I'm just glad it's over.
    One thing I would do again, however, is keep control. We had contracts that stipulated we would stop shooting the moment Uncle Fester pulled out his point-and-shoot to start capturing images we were trying to compose. The rule was - we shoot first, relatives get the leftovers.

The other people weren't so much in the way except when the bride stepped into the church. But I get what you are saying and I will definitely make sure everyone with a camera understands the situation next time. That is, if I ever try something like this again.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Sounds stressful! Glad you survived. :) Love the shoes and the hands fixing the dress ;)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thank you for sharing all of this. I saw myself, and relived my anguish. It is hard for me to think on my feet and for my first wedding I was very sick that day, I missed Dad walking the bride down the isle. I was too polite when the event planner told me where to shoot from, and I did not know you are to follow the bride during the reception which I might add was outdoors in Arizona during July and I am, almost 60 years old! But I got some great shots and totally missed the mark in others. Thank goodness someone told me to shoot A priority, it was easier on me. I was so wiped out that 2 weeks after the wedding I went to my DR to find out my blood contained no vitamin D or B12..from drinking too much soda for the prior 6 months. All in all a tough experience but worthwhile.
    The images you posted are lovely!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Thanks Kinka :)
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    ... and I did not know you are to follow the bride during the reception which I might add was outdoors in Arizona during July and I am, almost 60 years old!

That is one aspect of photography I really do value. It's not age related. Since my childhood I've always thought of a photographer the same way I do about a Navy captain. Hope that makes sense ;)

Anywayz. Interesting you mention A-priority because that is almost all I used. Many photographers seem to press on the fact that A priority should be the last thing you use because of exposure issues. I dunno. Personally it made my life a LOT easier. I did use manual on occasion...
  • Options
    rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I'm not sure how to say this without seeming rude but.....I'm not really sure that you were fully prepared for this venture....I mean....weddings (usually...) only come once in a person's life, and if they aren't captured to the fullest extent that they can be, then those moments will only reside in the fading memories of the guests and the bride/groom.

It's kind of like advertising that you can plumb someone's house with nothing more than a pipe wrench and 3 months of experience. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

There is a difference in knowing what to do while just being nervous about accomplishing it, and doing things on the fly and being nervous because you're not sure how to handle a situation. The first kind can lend itself to some very BEAUTIFUL photos and can really make a photographer shine, while the second kind just ends in par photographs and sweaty armpits...

I'm sorry if this sounds rude.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    rexbobcat wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to say this without seeming rude but.....I'm not really sure that you were fully prepared for this venture....I mean....weddings (usually...) only come once in a person's life, and if they aren't captured to the fullest extent that they can be, then those moments will only reside in the fading memories of the guests and the bride/groom.

It's kind of like advertising that you can plumb someone's house with nothing more than a pipe wrench and 3 months of experience. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

There is a difference in knowing what to do while just being nervous about accomplishing it, and doing things on the fly and being nervous because you're not sure how to handle a situation. The first kind can lend itself to some very BEAUTIFUL photos and can really make a photographer shine, while the second kind just ends in par photographs and sweaty armpits...

I'm sorry if this sounds rude.
    I was actually just looking at the images and thinking the opposite. I've seen hundreds of thousands of wedding photos over the past ~10 years, and I have to say these aren't half bad.

Here's the thing. Not every couple has thousands of dollars to spend on a high-end wedding photographer. Plenty of couples are just plain IN LOVE, and they want to get married. Wedding or not, they're just interested in marriage itself. Know what I mean? Decent pictures of the occasion are just a nice little perk. Many couples just don't care for all the "mandatory" cultural traditions and expenses involved in a wedding ceremony.

I think likening wedding photography to plumbing therefore is not very accurate, wedding photography is much more of a "want" than a "need". Some people LOVE nice cars, some people couldn't care less as long as it gets them where they're going. The same applies to wedding photography, and I must say that as far as these images are concerned, I think the bride and groom are going to be extremely happy, regardless of how great or small their investment was. Yeah, they took a risk by hiring someone with less experience than a veteran wedding photog with hundreds of weddings under their belt. But hey, there's MUCH more important risks in life to worry about, especially when you're considering getting married to another person and making a life together.

Just a little perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first person to jump down someone's throat if I think they're in over their head, if they think "fake it till you make it" is a good business tactic for breaking into weddings etc. I do NOT have any tolerance for in-experienced photographers who think they're all bigtime and ready to make bank, when they barely know their equipment let alone how to handle something as crazy as a wedding day. But that's just not the vibe I got here. What I got from this post was someone who knew exactly what they were getting into, told the bride exactly what SHE was getting into, and went into the job without some big dream of becoming a rockstar, but simply the aspiration of delivering good quality photos to a friend / client without getting overwhelmed.

What can I say, some people have a natural eye, and some people have to fight every step of the way to develop their artistic vision. It looked to me like Snaphaan has a pretty good eye for memorable moments, and I'd have been darn proud if my very first wedding turned up images like those!

Respectfully,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I was actually just looking at the images and thinking the opposite. I've seen hundreds of thousands of wedding photos over the past ~10 years, and I have to say these aren't half bad.

Here's the thing. Not every couple has thousands of dollars to spend on a high-end wedding photographer. Plenty of couples are just plain IN LOVE, and they want to get married. Wedding or not, they're just interested in marriage itself. Know what I mean? Decent pictures of the occasion are just a nice little perk. Many couples just don't care for all the "mandatory" cultural traditions and expenses involved in a wedding ceremony.

I think likening wedding photography to plumbing therefore is not very accurate, wedding photography is much more of a "want" than a "need". Some people LOVE nice cars, some people couldn't care less as long as it gets them where they're going. The same applies to wedding photography, and I must say that as far as these images are concerned, I think the bride and groom are going to be extremely happy, regardless of how great or small their investment was. Yeah, they took a risk by hiring someone with less experience than a veteran wedding photog with hundreds of weddings under their belt. But hey, there's MUCH more important risks in life to worry about, especially when you're considering getting married to another person and making a life together.

Just a little perspective. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first person to jump down someone's throat if I think they're in over their head, if they think "fake it till you make it" is a good business tactic for breaking into weddings etc. I do NOT have any tolerance for in-experienced photographers who think they're all bigtime and ready to make bank, when they barely know their equipment let alone how to handle something as crazy as a wedding day. But that's just not the vibe I got here. What I got from this post was someone who knew exactly what they were getting into, told the bride exactly what SHE was getting into, and went into the job without some big dream of becoming a rockstar, but simply the aspiration of delivering good quality photos to a friend / client without getting overwhelmed.

What can I say, some people have a natural eye, and some people have to fight every step of the way to develop their artistic vision. It looked to me like Snaphaan has a pretty good eye for memorable moments, and I'd have been darn proud if my very first wedding turned up images like those!

Respectfully,
    =Matt=

I read the other thread and now I understand the whole situation, and I understand where you're coming from.

These are good images for someone who was kind of indentured into shooting a wedding when taking into account the circumstances and previous experience of the photographer.

However; I can't say "wow these are awesome images!!!" because it would be against my better judgement. I guess it's just because in my time on online photography forums that has made me a bit cynical. I see a lot that people on several forums like these like to sugar coat things. I just kind of irks me...
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I read the other thread and now I understand the whole situation, and I understand where you're coming from.

These are good images for someone who was kind of indentured into shooting a wedding when taking into account the circumstances and previous experience of the photographer.

However; I can't say "wow these are awesome images!!!" because it would be against my better judgement. I guess it's just because in my time on online photography forums that has made me a bit cynical. I see a lot that people on several forums like these like to sugar coat things. I just kind of irks me...

Likewise, I hate to see someone post mediocre or downright bad images, only to have everyone say "nice job!" In that type of situation, I say it like it is. I just happened to know a little more of the backstory here.

It's funny how much someoen's attitude (or apparent attitude) can affect how we give advice. But it's true; if someone is being smug and thinking they're the next big rockstar, I feel compelled to take them down a notch. If not for anything other than the fact that I care about the brides out there who might end up seriously dissatisfied after they spend their life savings on a mediocre photographer. On the other hand like I said, there are weddings every day where the couple just cannot afford a $5,000 photographer, and in my opinion the absolute best thing that a budget bride can do is to hire a friend who knows what the heck they're doing, than some stranger who charges an "almost pro" price and could end up delivering crap.

*Shrug*
    =Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    @Rex
    No, I don't take offense ;) The fact is even if I had another month to prepare I would still have slipped up somewhere. Honestly, I think I was more nervous than the bride that day. I was actually urged here at Dgrin to try and enjoy it. I did to some extend.

Here are a few things I learned that might be useful to some other noob:

1) Definitely get another body (a proper DSLR), but not because of technical failures or whatever. But rather because switching lenses is a pain. I did it once during the wedding and quickly dropped that idea.
    2) Have a checklist ready. Just a scrap of paper (or on your cell) with a few important shorthand notes like: "After ceremony check camera settings for outside!!!". I wish I had something like that.
    3) Definitely do a pre-wedding shoot with the couple. That is a MUST. It helped me immensely through that day. I was both less shy around the couple and it really helped having a few ideas for photos when everyone was tagging along.
    4) Check out all the venues at the same time you will be there during the wedding (if possible) and make sure you know how you want to set-up your camera for each one. Also, I used my brother as a model (he was more like a prop) for quite a number of daylight shots so I could try and grasp some of the advice on how to handle different light situations for portraits and other images. There is some real information overload there.
    4) Don't take photo's while everyone is eating. I just got weird food faces.
    5) Learn to work with low-light situations - with and without a external flash. I didn't have enough time to really grasp it but bouncing the light everywhere except straight on seem to have done the trick.
    6) Make a serious effort to keep track of what you do with your lens caps. Maybe it's just me but I kept putting the bloody things everywhere except in my pocket!!

I respect that and can understand your reservation. I have no illusions about my abilities as a photographer especially after this. There is SO much more to it than just 'point-and-click'. You have to be organized, prepared and knowledgeable enough to deal with any situation and I guess that only comes through experience. And right now I have a lot more respect for the photographers who manage to take those amazing images during the course of wedding day. They have some mad skills.

That sums up this couple's attitude perfectly. But you still can't help but feel quite a load of responsibility for those important parts of their day, especially when they are such nice people.

And thanks for those kind words Matt!! :D
  • Options
    Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    What really amazes me the most is that you went in to shoot a wedding using a Canon T3 and kit lens. The one thing my t3 is best at is missing shots. Being a new photographer has a lot to do with this though. However, missing shots is something my 7D simply does not do.

I do give you good props on the ability to take advantage of the wide angle of the 18mm and walk away with some photos that are really worth something.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012

Respectfully,
    =Matt=

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this.thumb.gif

I think you did fine.:D

I don't think your first experience was unlike most anyone else's. You would have to be unromantic or not value photography yourself to not feel a pang of panic....at least until experience takes over. The panic says to me that you DEFINATELY understood the "magnitude" of the moment.

I'd wager a bet that the couple will love the images AND will be very grateful.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Likewise, I hate to see someone post mediocre or downright bad images, only to have everyone say "nice job!" In that type of situation, I say it like it is. I just happened to know a little more of the backstory here.

*Shrug*
    =Matt=

the reason why I come to this forum more often than any other photo forum, precisely. I can't thank enough you and people like you.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    What really amazes me the most is that you went in to shoot a wedding using a Canon T3 and kit lens. The one thing my t3 is best at is missing shots. Being a new photographer has a lot to do with this though. However, missing shots is something my 7D simply does not do.

I do give you good props on the ability to take advantage of the wide angle of the 18mm and walk away with some photos that are really worth something.

For the increased benefit of the other participants, out of curiosity what is it about the T3 that you think makes you miss shots? Is it the frame rate, or the response time? The autofocus?

In my opinion most of these shortcomings can be worked around if you have enough experience with the camera, (good timing, good focus technique) ...however I would agree that a camera like the 7D will be leaps and bounds ahead in all of those respects.

On the other hand, you could potentially do much worse if you rented a higher end camera that you didn't necessarily understand; all those extra focus modes could EASILY just make things worse, which is why I usually recommend that if someone is about to shoot their first gig, they stick with the camera they know the best and just try to secure a backup instead. That's the safest bet in such a situation. Even though of course I would always encourage someone to take the time to get to know a more advanced professional camera before shooting professionally; that's just not always possible I guess.

Heck, I shot weddings for years on a pair of Nikon D70's, a 2004 camera! Talk about poor performance! They got the job done, though. :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    For the increased benefit of the other participants, out of curiosity what is it about the T3 that you think makes you miss shots? Is it the frame rate, or the response time? The autofocus?

I'm glad you asked this. First off, I actually feel that the only time frame rate matters is if you know for certain that you need it for something. While my 8 fps on the 7D can be very fun, it really isn't a need. Response and Autofocus on the other hand are very important and the t3 just don't have either.

I fully agree that with enough experience these shortcomings can indeed be worked around. For instance, it is no secret that the 9 point AF consist of 1 good cross type and 8 junk AF points. One of the more valuable things I have learned in photography is to only use the center point and use the art of "Focus, Frame, Shoot". I think that using an off center focus point on the t3 for framing was my biggest mistake in photography, therefore the most valuable thing I can pass on.

I do like having the t3 for a backup and with enough experience, I will gladly stick a lens on this camera and use it to shoot at a wedding along with my 7D. It does require experience though or shoots get missed. You have to know it's limits and work with them instead of trying to get it do do what you want it to.

I would like to add that I give mad props to Snaphaan for taking on this task with such low end gear for the gig. I understand what it is like to have a small wedding, low budget, and even a lack of decent photographer. Just to give the couple a few really great and memorable photos can mean a whole lot. I'd be more interested to see some of the other photos you got of that day but I do feel you did a job they can be happy with.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    ...I'd be more interested to see some of the other photos you got of that day but I do feel you did a job they can be happy with.
    I've uploaded a few more images to photobucket (mixed with few posted here) ... Click here. Many of them feel like snaps but I was aiming to record the day, not pose it.

The shot of the mom crying is a bit out of focus. But I was actually focusing on the kiss when I heard some sniffing on the side. It had to be a quick turn focus and snap and well... not enough focus (as usual).

The shot of grandpa giving me the evil eye is pretty much that. Him giving me the evil eye. He doesn't like a camera up in his face, but his a lovely guy. :D

Actually the set-up was a T3 with a 50mm 1.8 and a Olympus PEN E-PL1 with a 14 to 42mm kit lens. I threw both cams around my neck and swapped as I went along. The E-PL1 is pretty small so it wasn't much of a hassle. Still, I would kill for something with better low-light focus. That was my biggest gripe. The two mess-ups before and after the ceremony was purely my own stupidity, lack of focus or experience. But thanks anyway :)
    On the other hand, you could potentially do much worse if you rented a higher end camera that you didn't necessarily understand; all those extra focus modes could EASILY just make things worse, which is why I usually recommend that if someone is about to shoot their first gig, they stick with the camera they know the best and just try to secure a backup instead.
    Very good advice. I had a 550D in my hands for a few seconds to help someone remove some dust from the lens and sensor. He didn't even know what a lens-pen is (guess he wipes it with a handkerchief or a t-shirt). Anywayz, a 550D is really not a big jump from a 1100D and still I got a bit lost trying to find what I wanted. Then again, I haven't worked with a gazillion DSLR's in my life. Only the 1100D. Actually, come to think of it. I might have been better off with that 550D as a backup than that bloody PEN!

By the way. A friend of mine's wife still did weddings with a Nikon D70 back in 2008. I remember because I just bought a Canon Powershot S5 IS (8mp) and seriously caught some photography bug. It's also the time I realized that a 6mp DSLR IQ is a lot better than a 8mp P&S.
    While my 8 fps on the 7D can be very fun, it really isn't a need. Response and Autofocus on the other hand are very important and the t3 just don't have either.

I fully agree that with enough experience these shortcomings can indeed be worked around. For instance, it is no secret that the 9 point AF consist of 1 good cross type and 8 junk AF points. One of the more valuable things I have learned in photography is to only use the center point and use the art of "Focus, Frame, Shoot". I think that using an off center focus point on the t3 for framing was my biggest mistake in photography, therefore the most valuable thing I can pass on.
    I've never really needed major bursts except when they were throwing the confetti. Oh wait, and the kiss. And maybe the dance. Okay maybe I needed it. But I don't care if it shoots 90fps for 10000shots RAW. If it can't focus properly in low-light then you've got a gazillion images heading for the trash bin.

That "Focus, frame shoot" method you mentioned was basically all I did. It didn't help though because it didn't get any focus in the first place (I tried AF Servo mode as well). So basically it seems I am pretty much bummed until I can get a better camera. A much better and expensive camera. But then again, wedding photography doesn't bring me food on the table so going for hectic low light AF and fps in a camera might be overkill.

I am keeping one eye on the 550D (it's more my price range). I just saw a body for about R4999 ($665). I'll keep the 1100D though.

I almost forgot to mention. I showed it to them last week and they loved it. So I guess it's all that matters in the end ;)
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2012
    You mention a lot about the AF taking photos that were not focused. This is exactly what my t3 does that the 7D does not. It's the only true issue I have with the T3. Simply put, if the AF is not in Focus then the shutter should not click.
    I've never really needed major bursts except when they were throwing the confetti. Oh wait, and the kiss. And maybe the dance. Okay maybe I needed it. But I don't care if it shoots 90fps for 10000shots RAW. If it can't focus properly in low-light then you've got a gazillion images heading for the trash bin.

While Raw is important, you can drop to Jpeg to do shots in longer burst. These things keep going back to the Autofocus again. I have sent a whole lot of unfocused shots to the trash bin myself.
    I am keeping one eye on the 550D (it's more my price range). I just saw a body for about R4999 ($665).

This is a good choice of camera. It's not far behind the 60D and the value is great. However, You should look into the Canon Loyalty Program for Canon refurbished Cameras. You can get great deals on a great camera this way.

Here is a list of some of the cameras currently in the loyalty program.

Canon T2i - $383.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $511.99. Price cut March 1, 2011 to $447.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)
    Canon T2i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $447.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $575.99. Price cut March 1, 2011 to $511.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon T3i - $479.99 (Added to Program Jan 4, 2012 @ $512.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)
    Canon T3i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $543.99 (Added to Program Jan 4, 2012 @ $575.99. Price cut Feb 1, 2012)

Canon 50D - $562.69 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $719.20)
    Canon 50D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $665.09 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $839.20)

Canon 60D - $639.99
    Canon 60D with 18-135 IS Kit Lens - $831.36

Canon 7D - $1,087.20

Basically all you do is contact Canon about it and send in any Broken Canon Camera (can be a 10 year old P&S) and choose any of the available Camera at the discount price. Not sure about being in Africa but this is certainly worth looking in to. You can usually find an old and/or broken Canon camera on Ebay for under $10
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    It's not for faint hearted people :) but it get easier after fist 100 weddings.
    Mario
  • Options
    jamiezentenojamiezenteno Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2012
    good job! love the one with the bride looking up
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012

Respectfully,
    =Matt=

Matt you are so gifted in your written expression, ( I only wish I Was).

The few photos shown were in my opinion exceptional, the photographer should consider helping wedding hopefuls with a moment caught in time as you have provided... It's hard work and skills are tested but the gift given to the couple will be the most personal and cherished in their relationship. Who knows what will keep a couple together for a life time. Maybe your photos will....

Nice work. iloveyou.giflustbowdown.gifbow
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    JesusBuckJesusBuck Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2012
    Really interesting thread and some passionate comments. All the same, I learnt a great deal. Just been around for much less than year and I am really learning and trying to grow by the day. I dread weddings and other such fast-paced events, but can I really do without them? (Hey...don't think it, I know my environment and the business climate than you probably do). Just last week I shot at a Traditional Wedding (I hope you get what we Africans call Traditional Wedding) with the Photography outfit that is helping horn my skill, it was their job. I had a Canon T3 and I was disappointed with the AF. I, honestly, had to rely on MF all through and I got it right just 40%. One more thing I think about is this: white skinned folks look more flattering in pictures than we black folks. Does anyone share that opinion? I am just loving the pictures that were added to this post. Talking nerves, I sure was nervous on my "first" wedding despite the limited pressure on me. I hope to do more of that before I set out to cover as a key man. Photography is fun...though I still don't have the money to get my dslr and experiment more. Just joined this forum and I am loving it!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2012
    JesusBuck wrote: »
    Really interesting thread and some passionate comments. All the same, I learnt a great deal. Just been around for much less than year and I am really learning and trying to grow by the day. I dread weddings and other such fast-paced events, but can I really do without them? (Hey...don't think it, I know my environment and the business climate than you probably do). Just last week I shot at a Traditional Wedding (I hope you get what we Africans call Traditional Wedding) with the Photography outfit that is helping horn my skill, it was their job. I had a Canon T3 and I was disappointed with the AF. I, honestly, had to rely on MF all through and I got it right just 40%. One more thing I think about is this: white skinned folks look more flattering in pictures than we black folks. Does anyone share that opinion? I am just loving the pictures that were added to this post. Talking nerves, I sure was nervous on my "first" wedding despite the limited pressure on me. I hope to do more of that before I set out to cover as a key man. Photography is fun...though I still don't have the money to get my dslr and experiment more. Just joined this forum and I am loving it!

Honestly I think darker skin is WAY more beautiful in photographs, it's just WAYYY harder to expose for. There's nothing tougher than a Nigerian guy wearing white / light colored attire. (Yes, I've done it a handful of times) But all in all, now that I've photographed so many types of traditional weddings, from Nigerian to Indian to Chinese, ...I gotta say, white people weddings are kinda boring now!

=Matt=