Siberian Stare-Down

Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited February 28, 2012 in Wildlife
Hanging around while waiting in hope of a response to a question I posted in another forum, I thought I'd check out a few images over here before turning in for the night. Nice to see a good selection.

While I love creatures of all kinds, I guess I'd have to say felines and primates are my favourite subjects of all. My wife and I recently opened a photo gallery at Khao Kheow Open Zoo here in Thailand, and one of the benefits that comes with thhi is being asked by the directors and staff to photograph and document the growth and development of a variety of new arrivals.

The subject you see here is one of a pair of sister Siberian Tiger cubs that I had my first session with just last week.

Hope this capture appeals to you!

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Very nice capture Ashley. Good comp, the vertical comp is very effective on this image. I love the eyes on your subject. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks for you comment Harry, real pleased you like the image above!

I was asked to begin documenting the life of three new Lion cubs today, once again sisters (same like the Siberian Tiger cubs) but these cubs are only a few days old, just getting used to opening their eyes. They're currently being cared for at the zoo's hospital, as the mother injured her previous litter of two, both of whom unfortunately succumbed to their injuries a few weeks later. Obviously the lighting in the hospital isn't the most favourable for photography but, all being well with the cubs, I'll be able to have a first quick outdoor session with then in a few day's time.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    That's a beauty and I envy your opportunity to follow the development of the cubs.

I took a peek at your website. ylsuper.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    That's a beauty and I envy your opportunity to follow the development of the cubs.

I took a peek at your website. ylsuper.gif

Thanks for taking a peek at my website Harry, and real pleased you apparently like what you saw :D

I've been working hard over the past week or so redesigning the layout with the wonderful help of Allen and John (AKA JFriend) over on the SmugMug Customization Forum; I couldn't be happier with my decision to go for SmugMug as the best place to display my work, and now all the more so for the awesome support of Allen and John by way of DGrin Forums clap.gif

Now that the new navbar I've been working on in the background is complete, I'll be working my butt off to complete all the new info pages I plan on uploading (at least 15 of them to begin with), making my site just as much about promoting the excellent work and programmes that Khao Kheow Open Zoo are successfully operating and all the other things that go on there, as there is content by way of my photography.

I consider myself extremely lucky at this stage of my life to be able to honestly say I'm finally living my dream!!!

Although I'm something of a newcomer to this forum, as long as at least you remain interested Harry, I'll be happy to add new images I take, particularly of new arrivals and their progress, such as the Siberian Tiger cubs, the Lion cubs and, in about two month's time, once mother and her newborn are settled and ready to be introduced to me, the new Clouded Leopard cub that's due to be born within the next week.

Clouded Leopards have long been my favourite feline of all, so you can well imagine my excitement about this! wings.gif

My daughter and I had our first up-close-and-personal encounter with one of the 30 Clouded Leopards cared for at Khao Kheow just last week. Although this opportunity was more to do with getting a pair of two-year old sisters familiar with me in preparation for future visits, rather than an actual photo session, I did have my camera with me and captured a few grab-shots.

The one you see here is of my soon-to-be 14-year old daughter, who happens to have been born in the Year of the Tiger, though for some reason her #1 favourite cat has also recently become the Clouded Leopards mwink.gif

Wishing you a wonderful day or night ahead Harry, all the best :D