Options

Kiteboarding - now that is something I had never seen before.

jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
edited February 28, 2012 in Sports
While on my way home crossing the dam the other day I saw these big kites in the air. All good photographers should carry their gear...well, I guess I am not real good. I ran home grabbed a couple of lenses and ran out the door. This is what I came away with....
#1 So he was along ways away. This was interesting because I have been to the lake many times and not until this photo did I realize the size of the homes.
R0D4274-X3.jpg

#2 So I got alot closer - not real sure how you would capture this sport and get the kite in the frame and it wasnt with the lenses I brought plus I hiked about 1/2 mile just trying to get close enough. I am typically a eyes person though I liked this one.
R0D4835-X3.jpg

#3 I think he figured out I was taking his picture. Now I was running away because he was getting to close.
R0D4735-X3.jpg

#4 I thought this one was interesting because the board and the water looked similar.
R0D5210-Edit-X3.jpg

#5 Trying to learn how to be creative...he was around 30' in the air on this one the sky was near white/gray and this photo had no interest other than the background that provided a since of how high he was.
R0D5067-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

#6 Maybe this is the wrong forum to post going crazy with processing it is really one of my first attempts actually number 5 was the first this would be the second.
R0D5154-Edit-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

Glad to listen to the pro's or anyone else who wants to tell me how to get better.
I am a student of photography - taking pictures to learn and for my enjoyment and always looking for a new and exciting photo to take.
This was a lot of fun being I had never seen a kiteboarder before.
Hope you enjoyed....

Comments

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Well, I struggle with shooting kiteboarders too, and for the same reason: It's hard to get good facials and get the kite in the shot. Overall I think you did a great job with these, especially for not knowing the sport.

Obviously, getting air shots is good, especially if there are good waves as well. I might suggest cropping #5 so that the land at the bottom is entirely gone. Also, some of the shots look over-sharpened. Depending on what you're using in the post processing, you might try using the masking function on sharpening so that you highlight the larger features but not but not get that grainy look. Or simply back off some on the sharpening.

I'm not a big fan of overly processed photos, but lots of thrill sport participants seem to love them.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Good first effort +1 about the PP

I've shot my share of kites and I like to vary the series (when I can)

Seems to me, catching air is always helped with the context of the sight of the water. Coming toward you is usually better. Plume is nice - equipment covering face not so much

Look forward to the next series
    Rags