Options

Buzzer beater - HS Boys basketball.

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited March 2, 2012 in Sports
So, Friday night was a local rivalry. 2 Catholic high schools that always draw a huge crowd.. I knew I was going to the game before the paper even assigned it to me because I attended one of the 2 high schools so I told my editor I WAS GOING and that if the paper needed art to let me know.

What a game. My HS was up by 14 in the first period to only be down by 10 in the 3rd. They made their way back with a series of 3's and steals to tie the game on a foul with 4.3 seconds left on the clock. With no time outs left, the other HS took the ball out got it to their 6'9" center which was this shot:

IMG0500-L.jpg

All net as the buzzer sounds giving them a 67-65 victory over my old HS. Hated to see it happen, since we've won the last 6 games prior to that, but it happens.. lol. A little celebration followed, this one was the back cover of the newspaper, previous was an inside photo..

IMG0502-L.jpg

Gallery in it's entirety:
http://www.jimkarczewski.com/Sporting-Events/HSBasketball11/Bishop-Noll-Andrean-022412/

Comments

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Wow... Nothing quite like HS BB. Playoffs are so exciting. What a crowd at this game.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    MDalby wrote: »
    Wow... Nothing quite like HS BB. Playoffs are so exciting. What a crowd at this game.

Not even playoffs yet! Those start tomorrow. That was the last regular season game for both teams...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 27, 2012
    Nice shots Jim. You going to the Munster/Lake Central game at Gary West Side tomorrow night? I'll be there to watch the game...not sure if I'll bring the camera or not.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    MDalby wrote: »
    captain78 wrote: »
    Nice shots Jim. You going to the Munster/Lake Central game at Gary West Side tomorrow night? I'll be there to watch the game...not sure if I'll bring the camera or not.

Not sure yet. Paper still hasn't sent me any assignments yet? Which is odd.. If they don't.. then I'm definitely going to West Side and I'm definitely shooting! Can't miss me if I do show up, just look for the giant photographer. Laughing.gif. Cross between a football player and basketball player at 6'9" and 350. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    schlpicschlpic Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Nice--love seeing the crowd in the background and their reactions! Some folks don't shoot that way (there's a time and place for close ups and including crowd), but personally, I like trying to include the crowd emotion when possible.
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    So, Friday night was a local rivalry. 2 Catholic high schools that always draw a huge crowd.. I knew I was going to the game before the paper even assigned it to me because I attended one of the 2 high schools so I told my editor I WAS GOING and that if the paper needed art to let me know.

What a game. My HS was up by 14 in the first period to only be down by 10 in the 3rd. They made their way back with a series of 3's and steals to tie the game on a foul with 4.3 seconds left on the clock. With no time outs left, the other HS took the ball out got it to their 6'9" center which was this shot:

All net as the buzzer sounds giving them a 67-65 victory over my old HS. Hated to see it happen, since we've won the last 6 games prior to that, but it happens.. lol. A little celebration followed, this one was the back cover of the newspaper, previous was an inside photo..

Great shot Jim . . . and to capture the "defining play of the game" makes it really special!

I agree . . . no time like High School Basketball tournament time.

Looking forward to seeing more tournament shots from all Grinnners.