Options

Dilemma - Town Chamber asking to use prints for ad campaign

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited March 9, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been concentrating my landscape photography on my new home town for the past 2 years and have amassed a solid collection of shots. The head of the Chamber of Commerce sent out an email to all local photographers asking for images to be used in their yearly visitor brochure and possible print ad. I was offered membership in the Chamber (a $275 value) in exchange for the images.

Just got an email from the Chamber specifying 6 images that they would like to use.
I have a fairly modest price for commercial use of images - $99 for screen size, $299 for original size.

Some of my initial thoughts:
-I'm fairly sure that if I don't agree to send them photos, they'll use those from other photographers in town.
-I actually do want to help the Chamber out as the prosperity of the town is important to me.
-'Credit' by way of my name on select photos is unlikely to drive very much traffic my way

Really just looking for some thoughts as to a good course to pursue and what you might do in this situation

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    My take is simple:
    * they will not spend money on what they can get for next to free;
    * some (good) publicity is better than nothing;
    * some compensation (the $275 membership) is better than nothing;
    * it may open some extra doors;
    * keeping local CoC friendly is important - you never know whom they may send your way.

Unless you have a steady stream of usage/prints purchases I think your "losses" are fairly imaginary, while the benefits could be fairly real - and you may also feel good mwink.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    So they want $1800 of images in exchange for $275 value. That's bad business. Go back and say "I really want to help you - but I need to be more fairly compensated. Perhaps some middle ground, $275 in cash and the membership.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    Thanks Andy and Nikolai

I think Nikolai has put into words much of what I was thinking - especially in regards to the 'imaginary losses' - and feeling good about doing something is always important.

Part of what I have done with this project has been to try to help out our local businesses that have been really hurting lately. I feature a photo of one every Friday. I don't expect any payment from those shots of a store front and do not expect sales of those prints. On a few occasions, I have bartered for their commercial use (ie 2 night stay at local Inn for shots of it; couple hours of kayak rentals for a shot of the harbor). Both times I have felt good about that exchange of goods/service.

In a perfect world, I would be able to get $1800 for these six images. In the current environment, $275 + good faith + some publicity is better than nothing. It may not be good business but I would hate to play hardball, have no images used, not be a member of the Chamber and build up any ill feelings that may close rather than open doors.

Thank you both for helping me think this through. Really appreciate it.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Let them use 2 and tell them they will need to pay more for the others, you pick the two.

You are right they will just use the free ones that the other people will be happy to provide them.

You wouldn't get any more benefit from throwing 4 more shots into the mix and you will feel less taken advantage of if you only let them use two of your choosing.
  • Options
    waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Get more years of membership out of them...6 pics = 6 years (or 3 years, or whatever you feel is fair). Doesn't "cost" them much.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    The questions to be asked of the Chamber are "are the printer of the visitor brochure and the publishers of the print ad accepting Chamber memberships in lieu of payment?" and "then why should I, as a photographer, accept this barter payment arrangement?"
  • Options
    promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Chambers do this all the time. I'm not a pro photographer, but have a member who gets membership in trade for shooting our street fair. A videographer gets membership for shooting the video of that same street fair. Happens all the time and guaranteed if you don't do it someone else will for access to chamber membership.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    100% with Nikolai on this.

I can guess that that you're not going to get any cash out of this. But you might be able to negotiate for ad space, or being featured on their websites? Your Wednesdays page is right in line with their mission, so they might bite...

Good luck man :)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2012
    Thanks again everyone. Great advice. Will be meeting with the Chamber late next week and see what happens.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    I did the same thing... I was asked, but they offered a full page ad for photos. Heresthebook, 90% of the photos are mine sadly I did the shoot in 6 hours for them zero fit and received the 2k ad for the year in exchange. I was happy but not excited.

http://www.heronfla.com/books/POSD2012/files/mobile/index.html
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    I was going to suggest something like the above.

If you offer your work for sale, have them do an ad for your work where people can go to see and buy more. You may get some worthwhile return out of that.

If your day job is some other business that may receive benefit from the demographic this publication will appeal to, get them to compensate you with advertising space for that.

I'd still be asking Websters question first though to put what they are asking you into perspective.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Who shoots the annual head-shot-of-new-president each year, and how much does that individual get paid? Ask for that contract.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    My two cents...............Basically.....go for it.

Sure ask about use, web, print, etc. But think about who the Chamber of Commerce members are. Business owners! Businesses need photography, they have families, they know other businesses. You can buy a membership which probably wouldn't be a bad idea or say trade a few images for membership.

I would go for it. Looks like a great networking opportunity, and the only downside I see is not getting what you weren't gona get anyway. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Just fyi, I got zero work from the ad ( I wont do it again ) after 9 months of it being distributed I ask everyone where they found me. Chamber relocation guide, or chamber has never come up :(
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Just got the cover of the Montauk CC Book for 2012
    They did not wan't to pay anything for it. They jump from Photographer to Photgrapher year to year.
    I told them I could not do it for free but would charge a small fee of $100. I know the 3 Photog's that did it for the last 3 years. They all said it was not worth doing it for free. None of them got any work from the Chamber members. I figued the photo should be $1200 for use for the year. I was told that last years photog sent them a bill for about that amount and they were not happy. I do not think he got paid. So far I have gotten a $400 cover for another montauk guide book for this summer because they saw the Chamber cover. We will see.

i-zD6RBbR-M.jpgi-HP6LvN4-M.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Been there done that.

I do like the idea of gaining another gig out of the initial donation... getting paid to do the head shots would be great, or contracted to photograph the ribbon cuttings would also be up there as a plus (they always do their own snapshot and they are most always bad). You have your leverage, I'd be happy to see you use it... and I need to remember to do the same.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Seems you have a lot of competition in Marblehead Eoren - 4 togs already members. I would try and trade-up their offer for a bit more advertising and promotion, maybe even an advertorial. Shot any UFOs lately?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Seems you have a lot of competition in Marblehead Eoren - 4 togs already members. I would try and trade-up their offer for a bit more advertising and promotion, maybe even an advertorial. Shot any UFOs lately?

You my friend are quite the detective rolleyes1.gif
    Yes, it is a bit crowded which adds to the feeling they'll just move down the line to the next landscape photog who would be more than happy to give them an image without any restrictions.
    And no, I've only captured the one UFO :s85
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a bit crowded which adds to the feeling they'll just move down the line to the next landscape photog who would be more than happy to give them an image without any restrictions.

Maybe, but your stuff is really good. I haven't seen the other folks' stuff, but I'd wager that you have better quality and selection than the competition. While they likely have hard limits in their budget, I think they're gonna want your photos :)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Update:
    Had the discussion with the head of the Chamber.
    They are using three of my photos for the brochure.
    In exchange, I will receive full membership in the Chamber, a number of ads in their newsletter that goes out, a ribbon cutting ceremony as a new business member with press releases to the town paper and neighboring Salem.
    I also think I got a fair amount of good will that will likely help me get into more situations that can further my exposure and photographic opportunities.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I also think I got a fair amount of good will that will likely help me get into more situations that can further my exposure and photographic opportunities.
    I hope you are right, but how will you know? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Update:
    Had the discussion with the head of the Chamber.
    They are using three of my photos for the brochure.
    In exchange, I will receive full membership in the Chamber, a number of ads in their newsletter that goes out, a ribbon cutting ceremony as a new business member with press releases to the town paper and neighboring Salem.

clap.gifthumbGood stuff, man! :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I think you are getting good value for your efforts. Keep us posted as it pays off over time. You should track new business coming in the door and ask where they heard about you - that will tell you if this was REALLY good value.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Good stuff! I just had the state of Georgia hit me up with a blanket email requesting marketing photos to "cut costs"...
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    I think you are getting good value for your efforts. Keep us posted as it pays off over time. You should track new business coming in the door and ask where they heard about you - that will tell you if this was REALLY good value.

Eoren, recommend you keep pushing the Chamber to deliver more and more. Don't sit back. They probably made you happy with some fluff about "full support for a member" in addition to hard promises, now you should be planning to collect on a regular basis. Wonder why they starting by asking for 6 photos and now it is only 3?

Your Chamber seems to be constructively active so I would think there is business to be won, but you'll need to work the crowd.