Custom Hostname - Yahoo

tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited November 25, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I bought my name from Yahoo, it's larcombe-photography.com and I've got it forwarding to the SM site, I understand that I can use Custom Hostname to remove the smugmug from the URL, is that right ?

I've set up Custom hostname in SM with www.larcombe-photography.com and in yahoo it looks like this :-

Type : CNAME Record
Source: *.larcombe-photography.com
Destination: larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

What am I doing wrong ?
Tony.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    I bought my name from Yahoo, it's larcombe-photography.com and I've got it forwarding to the SM site, I understand that I can use Custom Hostname to remove the smugmug from the URL, is that right ?

I've set up Custom hostname in SM with www.larcombe-photography.com and in yahoo it looks like this :-

Type : CNAME Record
    Source: *.larcombe-photography.com
    Destination: larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

What am I doing wrong ?
    Tony.

try www.larcombe-photography.com pointing to larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

then in control panel>domain, be sure that www.larcombe-photography.com is showing

ear.gif
  • tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    try www.larcombe-photography.com pointing to larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

then in control panel>domain, be sure that www.larcombe-photography.com is showing

ear.gif
    Isn't this what I've already got ?
    edited November 2, 2005
    Isn't this what I've already got ?

Well, not exactly. You used a wildcard (*) I'm suggesting that you put in

www.larcombe-photography.com pointing to

larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

You can always do the wildcard addition later once you get www working.

then in control panel>domain, be sure that www.larcombe-photography.com is showing - please check that you've done all steps.

BTW it can take from 24-48 hours for these types of changes to take effect with our domain registrar.
    edited November 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Well, not exactly. You used a wildcard (*) I'm suggesting that you put in

www.larcombe-photography.com pointing to

larcombe-photography.smugmug.com

You can always do the wildcard addition later once you get www working.

then in control panel>domain, be sure that www.larcombe-photography.com is showing - please check that you've done all steps.

BTW it can take from 24-48 hours for these types of changes to take effect with our domain registrar.
    Ok, done, I guess I'll wait 24-48 hours to see if it works.

Thanks Andy.
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Tony,

I just did my domain thru Yahoo...in order to forward it to point to you smugmug site...you need to UNLOCK in your yahoo domain control panel....submit the switch, then go back and LOCK. It took seconds for this to work.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Sorry Andy, you've given some bad advice here. Here's how a CNAME Record works. The entitiy that you used to forward your URL, will simply forward it to www.smugmug.com NOT to username.smugmug.com. As a pro user you can set up in your account what your forwarded URL is and Smugmug will automagically know that a forwarded site with that URL is your site.

Let me make it more clear.

Say your smugmug site is mikelane.smugmug.com. Now let's say that you registered www.mikelanephotography.com with a URL registration company like www.joker.com. What you then do is tell joker to forward your URL (via a CNAME record) to www.smugmug.com and you tell smugmug (via your account settings which are now in the control panel) that www.mikelanephotography.com is your forwarded URL.

CNAMEs need to point to www.smugmug.com. That's important.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited November 2, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:
    Tony,

I just did my domain thru Yahoo...in order to forward it to point to you smugmug site...you need to UNLOCK in your yahoo domain control panel....submit the switch, then go back and LOCK. It took seconds for this to work.
    Works now, thanks Trish. Although when I type in larcombe-photography.com without the www. I still get the smugmug, is there a way round that ? I did put the *.larcombe-photography.com Source back in to Yahoo, didn't seem to work though................I guess I should just be happy with what I've got right ?

Thanks again,
    Tony.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    CNAMEs need to point to www.smugmug.com. That's important.
    Said the same over here and that's what the help says too, but I think people often did it the other way and that's why SM took care of the problem and it works both ways. Even Baldy chimed in into the thread, but he did not say anything concerning where's the correct place to point the cname to. So I guess it's both the same. ne_nau.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    My Yahoo account is setup like Mike just explained. I already have my main website and then I use Smugmug as my events and sports website.

In Yahoo "Advanced DNS Settings" section, I added the following CNAME record:

Type = CNAME Record
    Source = events.freddickinson.com
    Destination = www.smugmug.com

Then in my Smugmug account (after logging in), go to the Control Panel - Account Settings - Domain, there I put the events.freddickinson.com.

It works great!

Here is the help link on the CNAME topic within smugmug:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

I hope this helps a little. My primary website is: www.FredDickinson.com (for reference).

Hope it works for you. Best of luck.

Fred Dickinson Photography
    Dallas - Fort Worth , Texas
    edited November 2, 2005
    Techman1 wrote:
    My Yahoo account is setup like Mike just explained. I already have my main website and then I use Smugmug as my events and sports website.

In Yahoo "Advanced DNS Settings" section, I added the following CNAME record:

Type = CNAME Record
    Destination = www.smugmug.com

Then in my Smugmug account (after logging in), go to the Control Panel - Account Settings - Domain, there I put the events.freddickinson.com.

It works great!

Here is the help link on the CNAME topic within smugmug:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

I hope this helps a little. My primary website is: www.FredDickinson.com (for reference).

Hope it works for you. Best of luck.

Does your Source name look like this :-

or this.......

Source = *.events.freddickinson.com

I can't do mine without the *. being put in.
    edited November 2, 2005
    Tony,

I have two CNAME records in place.

(1) *.freddickinson.com - destination = yahoo
    (2) events.freddickinson.com - destination = smugmug

The second one doesn't have the "*" in front of it. That way clients can type www.freddickinson.com or just type freddickinson.com and they are directed to my primary site. Of course they can reach my smugmug site from there via Sports or Events (with a link embedded on the page).

Mine is setup a little different than yours, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

edited November 2, 2005
    I should have not come back to read this forum..I had my domain listed properly and it worked..i read mikes post on how it should be set up with smugmug...now it is not showing my domain address on smugmug...Mike...does it take time for smugmug to change over the domain addy??

I give up!
    edited November 2, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:
    I should have not come back to read this forum..I had my domain listed properly and it worked..i read mikes post on how it should be set up with smugmug...now it is not showing my domain address on smugmug...Mike...does it take time for smugmug to change over the domain addy??

I give up!
    WHY, oh why, did you change it ne_nau.gif
    edited November 2, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:

I give up!

Trish, I get to your site just fine :D
    edited November 2, 2005
    yes...I guess that answers the question of it takes a little timerolleyes1.gif I have nightmares about doing something stupid and bringing down the worldwide web! A little bit of knowledge is dangerous in my case!
    edited November 2, 2005
    Trish,

I got right to your site also with no delay or problems. Where do we sign up to get a slice of that Christmas Cheesecake. That looks delicious!!! :D

Take care.

Fred
    edited November 2, 2005
    Techman1 wrote:
    Trish,

I got right to your site also with no delay or problems. Where do we sign up to get a slice of that Christmas Cheesecake. That looks delicious!!! :D

Take care.

Fred
    It seems to be working now.

Ahhem...the cheesecake. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone into the baking business instead of photography! Everyone wants to know the same thing...rolleyes1.gifIt is delicious if i say so myself!

PS: Very nice site designthumb.gif
    edited November 2, 2005
    Trish,

Based on what I see you should do both professionally! Cheesecake is definately one of my major weaknesses for sweets. That cake just looks wonderful!

Thanks on the thumb.gif regarding the site design. I tried to match up my website design with my smugmug design as much as possible. It seems to work fine for my first stab at co-branding them.

Take care and I'm glad your site is working properly again!

Fred
  • AJamesAJames Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2006
    To WWW or not to WWW, that is the question
    Great thread. I need to photograph my latest apple pie attempts. very successful i might addmwink.gif So I have www.dayspringphoto.net working just fine, but for the life of me I can't figure how to get only dayspringphoto.net WITHOUT 'www' to forward to my smugmug Can someone shine some light this way? THANKS!!

OKOK without a reply yet seen, I've gone ahead and used forwarding on the yahoo site. I fail to see why Smugmug tells you not to use that feature.. could someone enlighten me? with masked forwarding and keyword assignments for search engines, what's so bad?
    edited November 25, 2006
    AJames wrote:
    Great thread. I need to photograph my latest apple pie attempts. very successful i might addmwink.gif So I have www.dayspringphoto.net working just fine, but for the life of me I can't figure how to get only dayspringphoto.net WITHOUT 'www' to forward to my smugmug Can someone shine some light this way? THANKS!!
    No need to double post, I already answered your question in the other thread naughty.gif