Options

Photo cloud

ALPhotographyALPhotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
edited March 1, 2012 in The Big Picture
I recently heard of putting photos in a CLOUD. Does anyone know what this is and how to do it? I searched the FAQ but kept getting suggestions for cloud formation photos or weather. Thanks, Anita

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Maybe you're talking about cloud computing?

What exactly is it you wish to accomplish?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    If you're on Smugmug, your photos are in the cloud... :)

You're already ahead of the curve!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Maybe you're talking about cloud computing?

What exactly is it you wish to accomplish?

I had taken a large quantity of photos for a community volunteer group, and the leader said that I could put them on a DVD or in a cloud. I am totally unfamiliar with the cloud concept and hoped that someone on DGrin would be aware of this process.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Our mac devices in our household have a Cloud?
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    The cloud is a fad-word developed by who-knows-who to describe on-demand virtualized computing resources, usually accessible via the Internet. It has been made popular by a service provided by Amazon. Did you know the people who sell books also sell computing time? In fact, they sell _a lot_ of computing time. Some of the most well known web sites on the Internet use Amazon's "cloud" services. When someone says to put your photos on "the cloud" they probably mean to upload them to the Internet some place so they can download them.

The term probably originated due to the use of a cloud shape by network administrators to describe the Internet. When one is diagramming how a computing system works, one often draws a cloud shape at the top to indicate "the Internet." Then lines get connected to the cloud shape to indicate how a system connects to the Internet, in various fashions. There is an unofficial industry shorthand using various shapes to describe computing resources. A cylinder is storage, for example.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    The cloud is a fad-word developed by who-knows-who to describe on-demand virtualized computing resources, usually accessible via the Internet. It has been made popular by a service provided by Amazon. Did you know the people who sell books also sell computing time? In fact, they sell _a lot_ of computing time. Some of the most well known web sites on the Internet use Amazon's "cloud" services. When someone says to put your photos on "the cloud" they probably mean to upload them to the Internet some place so they can download them.

The term probably originated due to the use of a cloud shape by network administrators to describe the Internet. When one is diagramming how a computing system works, one often draws a cloud shape at the top to indicate "the Internet." Then lines get connected to the cloud shape to indicate how a system connects to the Internet, in various fashions. There is an unofficial industry shorthand using various shapes to describe computing resources. A cylinder is storage, for example.

Thanks for the info.