Window Shopper

lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited March 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    The comment I am about to make applies to a lot of what's being posted - CLOSER. Use a wider lens and get closer. One of the important qualities separating good street photography from drive by 'shootings' is the sense of intimacy that comes from being close to the subject. One generally doesn't get that from across the street, or from using a long lens. This scene itself is a good one, but it is seen from too far away.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    BD's right on, Jim. Try a 50 instead of the 135 you used for this one. To me, a 50 prime is the ideal street lens, though sometimes you need to go down to 35mm. Below that distortion starts to create problems unless you're in the kind of situation where distortion doesn't matter.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    The comment I am about to make applies to a lot of what's being posted - CLOSER. Use a wider lens and get closer. One of the important qualities separating good street photography from drive by 'shootings' is the sense of intimacy that comes from being close to the subject. One generally doesn't get that from across the street, or from using a long lens. This scene itself is a good one, but it is seen from too far away.
    RSL wrote: »
    BD's right on, Jim. Try a 50 instead of the 135 you used for this one. To me, a 50 prime is the ideal street lens, though sometimes you need to go down to 35mm. Below that distortion starts to create problems unless you're in the kind of situation where distortion doesn't matter.

Thank you for your comments gentlemen.I recently purchased a 35mm and have had it on the camera for about 6 weeks . I like it so much I will probably never take it off, I was going to get a 50mm but what's a couple of extra steps .
    edited February 29, 2012
    It's generally held that a "normal" lens -- one that comes closest to the average field of human vision -- is the length of the diagonal of the frame. For 35mm and full-frame digital, that'd be roughly 43mm. So either a 35mm or a 50mm does the job with something approaching the normal human field of view. Yep, you'll probably have a hard time giving up that 35mm now that you've tried it. I've been working most of the time with 50mm since 1953, and they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments gentlemen.I recently purchased a 35mm and have had it on the camera for about 6 weeks . I like it so much I will probably never take it off, I was going to get a 50mm but what's a couple of extra steps .

Precisely. Think of 35 as a 'standard' lens, or even a 28 for that matter. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    Yeah, I find a 50 is too long for a lot of the stuff I enjoy shooting. I've moved to using the 17-35/2.8 on a FF for most of my street work. I'll usually dial it to 24, 28, or 35 and leave it there for a while.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Yeah, I find a 50 is too long for a lot of the stuff I enjoy shooting. I've moved to using the 17-35/2.8 on a FF for most of my street work. I'll usually dial it to 24, 28, or 35 and leave it there for a while.

HOly cow Jenn, that is close on a FF--gulp!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Agree with the statements made below--but have to add, that I enjoyed this shot.
    It's an odd little scene--the overgrown boy.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012

It's more difficult getting in close without being detected,but for me the 35 is a more forgiving lens than the 50mm in terms of focusing,especially when shooting wide open.
    Agree with the statements made below--but have to add, that I enjoyed this shot.
    It's an odd little scene--the overgrown boy.

I am glad you enjoyed it .Thank you for your interest .
    edited March 1, 2012

My problem with a zoom on a DSLR is that the whole thing's too big and too noticeable. More and more I'm using my now rather out-of-date E-P1 with it's Leica-branded 50mm f/1.4 equivalent and a Leica 50mm auxiliary finder. All in all it seems the best street camera I've had in my hands since I sold my M4. 35's a good focal length, Jennifer, but to go much below that it seems to me you have to be in the right situation. 35 is pretty universal, and, to me at least, 50 is even more universal.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    My problem with a zoom on a DSLR is that the whole thing's too big and too noticeable. More and more I'm using my now rather out-of-date E-P1 with it's Leica-branded 50mm f/1.4 equivalent and a Leica 50mm auxiliary finder. All in all it seems the best street camera I've had in my hands since I sold my M4. 35's a good focal length, Jennifer, but to go much below that it seems to me you have to be in the right situation. 35 is pretty universal, and, to me at least, 50 is even more universal.

Yeah, dSLRs are big and the 17-35 isn't a lightweight by any stretch. I have a 20mm prime that is nice and compact, but it's too wide on the D700 for a lot of things. It was about perfect though on the D300. I'm using my little NEX for a lot of things right now for a number of reasons. I've only ever had the 16mm/2.8 pancake on it (24mm eq). I especially love being able to use it in "Vertical Viewfinder" mode. Sorta old school and it has the added advantage of shooting from a lower angle and not putting a camera in someone's line of sight.

In any case, I won't hijack this thread any more. Promise :D
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    most all my shots (street wise) are done with a :

GF2 with 20mm / 40mm equiv in 35mm

or a

Canon QL17 with a 40mm both are f1.7

this seems to be right for me.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I have shot a lot of my street posts here with a 7D and a 24-70 f/2.8L.

Let that marinate for a moment, if you've ever felt the weight involved with that rig. Not the best gear for street, but that's not why I bought the gear.