Options

(Question) Low light shots

EllisrEllisr Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited November 2, 2005 in Technique
42618419-L-1.jpg

I took this picture handheld at f/1.8 and about 1/15s. I would have preferred to have my tripod and also be able to block all light from the viewfinder, but I unfortunately wasn't able to do any of that. I'm just glad to have gotten the shot. Is there any way I can prevent the light reflections I get in the picture? They're pretty obvious, especially the one near the top of the building. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Are you using a filter on the lens for "protection"?

If so, take it off for night shots or any other time you don't need it to "protect" the lens.

With that said, lens flare happens, and is much more noticeable the brighter the light is (the car headlights in this case). Wide apertures will render them as light blobs, and small apertures will render them as "stars".

To reduce them in this shot you could have waited until there were no car headlights pointed directly at you. Shoot more from the side of the cars, or shoot the cars as they go away from you so you see the tail lights, which are dimmer.

Here is a map of the lights and their flare:

lensflaremap.jpg

Anybody notice the pattern of what determines where the flare will show up? mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Lens filters
    Are you using a filter on the lens for "protection"?

If so, take it off for night shots or any other time you don't need it to "protect" the lens.

I have UV filters for my lenses and was told to leave them off of the lense unless I'm in a dusty/sandy area where the lense would need protection. Is this what you are saying? Is this because the extra glass placed in front of the lense causes flare?
  • Options
    monkymonky Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    anywhere that light passes from one material to another (i.e., air to glass) you will have whats called refraction.

any glass that light must pass through (like a filter) gives that light two more oppurtunities to refract (enter and exit), and cause reflections that will bounce around inside of your lens for a bit before hitting your sensor in (usually) a decidedly inappropriate place. that is what causes flare.

if you have multicoated filters, which keep the index of refraction of the air-glass boundary at a minimum, the problem will be greatly reduced... but still possible.

of course, flare generally also depends on MANY other things, such as the angle of incidence, the presence of internal baffles, the shape of the iris... ect. but in this context, the filters cause flare as described above xzicon_smile_cool.gif

FWIW i keep filters off unless im on a beach or some other environment thats generally inhospitable to lenses... anywhere there is dust, dirt, water spray, ect.
    ed murphy
  • Options
    EllisrEllisr Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2005
    Thanks! I appreciate the help... I've been baffled by this for a while now. I'll remove the filter during these situations from now on.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Are you sure you didn't capture some UFOs over Philly? :D

Bear