Options

No Pix - Just a Question re Overkill.

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited March 3, 2012 in People
Hi everyone,

This is NOT a whine or complaint but it is a serious question - Am I overdoing this board and should I back off a bit?:dunno

I ask this because I've had two shutouts and just one response to my last three postings of my shoot with Cindy last Sunday.:scratch

I'm not taking offense and I'm not particularly upset but it occurs to me that I shoot so many models so often that I may be either (a) boring people OR worse (b) being seen as monopolizing the forum. Obviously, among friends, that's not a good thing to be doing.:nono

I'm not looking for ego stroking here, I'm trying to be a good neighbor and mind my manners.

What say you all? I PROMISE no hard feelings.
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    For me absolutely cool to post as much as you want. It is always worth a look.

The greatest hindrance to creativity is the fear that you may be wrong! Sometimes the things you try may not work for the general forum viewers...so what.
    Improvement and growth is discovered through a lot of trial and error....

I think it is great that you are continually pushing your envelope....and having a great time doing it.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I personally don't have a problem with you posting a lot; the board finds its own pace and activity level - sometimes it's busy, sometimes it's not. HOWEVER... I do think that unless you have a specific question (as you did with some recent indoor shoots where you were working on specific light placement/new gear use) perhaps pick the very best from each your shoots and combine the looks into single threads?

My reason for this isn't really for board-manners reasons - like Zooms I think it's great to post as much as you want - but the teacher in my is popping up this morning: you've said yourself you have a hard time picking your best shots, and I sometimes think you see the model/remember the experience around the shot more than look at it photographically/technically (eg the Great Backgrounds Debate rolleyes1.gif). It might be really useful as an exercise for you to FORCE yourself to pick maybe 3 from each shoot (across different looks/concepts) that REALLY scream "I'm fabulous". So (sorry -still on first cup of coffee and blethering) - unless you have specific questions for comments, or are having trouble figuring out which ones work/why, why not post ONE great shot from each look in a session in each thread, if only to make your own eye work harder and more critically? Imagine you're sending them to an editor for consideration - which ones REALLY nail styling/pose/lighting/mood/it-factor?

Also, I think that sometimes the threads just get lost. I didn't see the ones with the veil until yesterday. In that set, there's one that I think is great (the one with the chair - in fact, the only thing I DON'T like about it is the chair itself, which is too obviously a chair grabbed from a hotel/catering situation instead of something that reflects the look of the concept), but I didn't have a chance to comment. I think the shutouts may also sometimes just be because things are repetitive (same mistakes repeated and folks don't want to hammer on about it, or just no "WOW" shot in the thread that makes everybody want to comment positively).

Just a thought. And no hard feelings intended, either (which I know you know, but just to say it out loud :D)

thumb.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 2, 2012
    For me, I enjoy looking at photos...all photos. I like to see what other photographers have done and compare my work to theirs. Most times I just look and don't comment. For me to comment on your model photos, I'm afraid I might come across sounding like a pervert rolleyes1.gif since I'm not experienced enough to notice and comment "great lighting" or "the way she is turned it makes her look fat" etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    So (sorry -still on first cup of coffee and blethering) - unless you have specific questions for comments, or are having trouble figuring out which ones work/why, why not post ONE great shot from each look in a session in each thread, if only to make your own eye work more harder and more critically? Imagine you're sending them to an editor for consideration - which ones REALLY nail styling/pose/lighting/mood/it-factor?

Thanks Zoomer, Captain and Diva.

Diva, you may have nailed it. I really was worried about the "bad manners" thing. You're also correct in that I tend to "fall in love" with my models and look at what they did more than what I did. They interest me so much more than I do.rolleyes1.gif

As always, I learn something every time I come here and it don't haff tuh be photo -graffy.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I can't believe I typed "more harder". I am the world's WORST proofreader rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    No problem Diva, I just figured Cooper was doing a counter sweep and distracting you.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I always enjoy your images, but don't post much, because I have nothing constructive to say.

Keep posting!!

Sam
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    some self editing wouldn't hurt. I for one get confused on what I have seen of yours due to the number of threads.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Thanks Sam.

Qarik, that's kind of what I was thinking. So you're having the overkill reaction.
    I'm going to take Diva's advice next week when Katarzyna comes in this Sunday.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    John,

I wish everyone here posted as many images as you do. I think it would make things far more interesting. If you want more feedback, it might help if you gave a little self-critique first. That might give some indication about how you feel about an image or series and might put us in a position to offer more specific advice than "great shot."
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Thanks Ryan,

I think I'll try that right now in the "Veils" post. That one had a really specific concept and goal.

Also, if you've seen my stuff on here "GREAT SHOTS" rarely figures into the mix.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Lol, I look, but didn't want to seem like I was jumping into every thread lol. I actually looked thru most of you're portfolio and I think I even made a comment on one that slayed me lol. Alot of times when I edit some photo's, I will leave them over night and come back with a fresh view the next day. Sometimes I find I went too far on some and others I find I should have did the eyes or dodged that out or something. I saw one of you're threads two days ago, and my first thought was, you pegged the eyes, super nice. I didn't post anything, because I didn't want to sway others opinions, but thought privately they looked great. I haven't looked to see if anyone posted anything or not. I enjoy you reaching out and stretching yourself. That forces a person out of their comfort zone and into a new learning technique. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Thanks Novice.

As you now, I have no objection to being the lab rat on here for both myself AND other people to learn. However, posting so much that I get out shutout is pretty much useless so I'm going to pull back a bit and follow Divas' ONE SHOOT--ONE SET suggestion. I'll still be her once a week but that will be it for the winter.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    I can't believe I typed "more harder". I am the world's WORST proofreader rolleyes1.gif

I just think this place is fun... and it's always fun to see what you're going to post John...

For some reason you remind me of and I picture you to be like this cat Barry on storage wars...(or something like that)...
    I most enjoy when you come on expecting a beating.. makes me Laughing.gif...

Oh and Diva... "more harder" is a perfectly fine phrase...thumb.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

Well, it does read more better now.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    What Diva said, except, I most likely enjoy looking at your models more than she does! mwink.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    I'm with Diva on this one... there is not enough variety and growth between posts for me to be really curious about them. Your style doesn't resonate with me personally, and although I can usually overlook something like that when someone is really focused on growing (e.g., they take advice from previous threads to heart and make sure to have taken a stab at addressing those critiques in the thread that follows), there does not seem to be much that changes from post to post, so there isn't much that I feel like I can/want to comment on.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    Thanks Bryce. I absolutely intend to take Diva's suggestion but that means fewer models for you.

Kinkajou, peole here will tell you I never argue with a comment but SERIOUSLY.??
    You never see me take a suggestion, or make a change based on what is suggested here? Seriously, you see no variety in what I'm doing and no regard for the advice here? I'm truly sorry but for the first time on this board, I can't credit a comment except to the extent that I have no problem with the fact you don't find what I do interesting. That much, at least, is valid. The rest--- not so much.