toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited March 4, 2012 in Street and Documentary
DSC0022-L.jpg
DSC0023-L.jpg
Rags

Comments

• DaffodilDaffodil Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Colour one for sure. can't tell there's a sunset in the other one.
    My equipment so far:
    Canon EOS 500D
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
  • NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Top is a photo of a sunset. Bottom is photo of a guitarist and his bike on a beach wall, which I prefer.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    of the two the color version is better (to me), not so much for the color but
    for the contrast in the overall scene.
  • junyan82junyan82 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    first one is better as i like the sunset color
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    #1 is superior. The conversion takes a beautiful, fairly complex image, and turns it into a somber shot of a man playing a guitar on a wall, with the Golden Gate in the background. If you want a somber image of a guy playing the guitar in that situation I just mentioned, fine, but you asked for an assessment of both of these stacked up, and the world would vote for #1.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Typically I tend to prefer BW, but in this case color works better. I like the long wall to the left, but have you tried a crop that would shorten it a bit? I think it would enhance the bridge and add a greater sense of depth.
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    BW for me, no question. #1 is a sunset (cliche, cliche, cliche) with a blob of something in the way; #2 is a great street shot of a guy with a bike playing a guitar (both of which interest me) who happens to be in a location with an pleasant view.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    BW for me, no question. #1 is a sunset (cliche, cliche, cliche) with a blob of something in the way; #2 is a great street shot of a guy with a bike playing a guitar (both of which interest me) who happens to be in a location with an pleasant view.

That's one awfully beautiful cliché, then.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I don't think you can compare one with the other. They're two completely different photographs. The first picture is about color. The bright sky so subdues the shadows in that one that even the guitarist gets lost and doesn't matter. As Sara says, #1 is a stale cliche, but #2 is an actual street shot about a guy, off his bike, playing a guitar on top of a wall next to a body of water. The sky's still interesting, but it's not what the picture's about.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »

BINGO! Two which I'll add that the sunset, as sunset's go, ain't much of a sunset. So in the color version, you've got a blob against a so-so sunset, while in the black and white you've got an interest scene. What I would do with the black and white is burn in the sky somewhat, which will make it more obvious that it's a sunset, and will increase interest in the top half of the image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    thanks for looking in folks and for the comments, much appreciated

The shot isn't of good quality; it was taken with my new V1 and only God knows where the focus point was.

I don't do PS so i can't really selectively process. I thought the color gave greater subject separation; the b&w looked a little flat (to me); both pretty noisy.

I'm a sunrise/sunset - moonrise/moonset freak. Technically this period is civil twilight (half hour +/- before sunrise - after sunset), according to US Naval Observatory

this is a sunset (maybe not streotypical... :D)
    189324342_ryiuf-M-3.jpg
    Rags
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    thanks for looking in folks and for the comments, much appreciated

The shot isn't of good quality; it was taken with my new V1 and only God knows where the focus point was.

I don't do PS so i can't really selectively process. I thought the color gave greater subject separation; the b&w looked a little flat (to me); both pretty noisy.

I'm a sunrise/sunset - moonrise/moonset freak. Technically this period is civil twilight (half hour +/- before sunrise - after sunset), according to US Naval Observatory

this is a sunset (maybe not streotypical... :D)
    189324342_ryiuf-M-3.jpg

This may or may not be of interest to you but here is a link anyway.
    http://http://photoephemeris.com/