Options

Lens-to-own.com is it a scam or legitimate?

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited June 10, 2012 in Cameras
Has anyone heard of them before or even used them. They look to good to be true, anyone have success with them?

They rent to own bodies, lenses and other accessories. You can choose 3 or 6 month payment terms. There's no credit check, they just auto bill your credit / debit card on file every 30 days.

Or anyone heard of www.aperturent.com either.

I found them on Google and am very tempted to use them.

Comments

• Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I think anything rent-to-own is a scam...

Looking at a random lens, Canon 50mm 1.4, you can get it in 6 months for $588, or in three months for $540. Or just get it off Amazon for $400.

You're better off saving up to buy it, or if you really need it now, buy it on credit and make the payments that way.
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    One of the single largest "legal" scams is rent to own...anything. :nah
    Save up and toss down the cash. Much better feeling than the monthly lowering of pants :giggle
    Gary
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Egad, that's about 70% interest (APR).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Might be legit but once it's all said and done the prices are ridiculous.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    For renting lenses, I've never heard of aperturent.com

I have personally used lensrentals.com to rent a 24-105 and 100-400. I had great service with them(They even let me keep the lenses an extra day for an event at no charge).

I also know many folks on this forum have used borrowlenses.com and had good success with them.

Ben

Edit: Checked the resellerratings(http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Aperturent) All the reviews are positive, but there are not very many. Personally, I'd stick to lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com both have a lot more history, and consistently positive ratings.
  • Options
    ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I was planning on trying borrow lenses. Some places require a deposit for the full value of the rental up front, do they?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited March 3, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    I was planning on trying borrow lenses. Some places require a deposit for the full value of the rental up front, do they?

You should contact the rental house in question to ask them about their current rental policies. We cannot speak for them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »

http://www.borrowlenses.com/page/about#Billing
  • Options
    MarcigMarcig Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I'm renting a lens from Aperturent this weekend, so I'll let you know. Easy option for me however, because I live 5 minutes from their office.
  • Options
    memstamemsta Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2012
    I use aperturent.com all the time. Have been for about a year now. They are very good and the staff is awesome. I live in Atlanta though. So I just pick it up. Very affordable rental and their equipment looks brand new. They have two atlanta locations. Try them.
  • Options
    guitstikguitstik Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    Lensrentals.com is local to me and the folks there are all nuts, in a good way. The fellow that started it is a retired neurosurgeon and a great guy, it's like a big family there.