Options

Offensive Foul

73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited March 4, 2012 in Sports
Here is something you don't see every day . . . a player goes up for a 3-point shot, collides with the defender, and the offensive player is called for a "charge". I don't think I have ever seen this called but when you look at the picture I think you will see why the ref called it the way he did :

12-BBB-GD-vs-Summit-D1B-075-L.jpg

What happened was the defensive player left his feet and like happens many times the offensive player waited for the right moment to go up for the shot so there would be contact. But in this case you can see the offensive player took almost a 45 degree angle to initiate contact which undercut the defender sending him to the floor.

I talked to the ref who made the call (he is in the background . . . in perfect position to make the call) at the 2nd round of the tournament and he said according to the rule book this was clearly an offensive foul. The defender has the right to his verticle space and the offensive player went out of his way to enter that space. That and the offensive player was looking at the defender and not the basket when he went for "3 free throws".

Just something unique I thought I would share with everyone.

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Nice timing!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Nice picture, but I would debate the call. I agree the defender has a right to his VERTICLE space but how often do you see one just go straight up? Usually they are going up and at to defend against the shot. Eh, JMO and that's why I don't care for basketball...Laughing.gif If that would have been Kobe taking that shot, the defender would have been called for sure...Laughing.gif
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Nice picture, but I would debate the call. I agree the defender has a right to his VERTICLE space but how often do you see one just go straight up? Usually they are going up and at to defend against the shot. Eh, JMO and that's why I don't care for basketball...Laughing.gif If that would have been Kobe taking that shot, the defender would have been called for sure...Laughing.gif

What the picture shows is about the last 1/3 of the 1 second all this took place. The thing that really reinforces the call the ref made was the severe angle the offensive player took to make contact.

And yeah . . . if that would have been Kobe he would have been shooting free throws.

And I don't watch pro basketball . . . quit watching before Kobe came on the scene. Shaq ruined it for me.

Don't get me wrong, Shaq was a great player, good human being, and a great role model for the young kids BUT when he played it was a broken record -

(1) Shaq gets the ball on the low post
    (2) Shaq lowers his shoulder, runs the defender over, scores the basket
    (3) Defender is whistled for the foul, Shaq shoots a free thow, Shaq misses the free throw
    (4) Repeat

Much sooner watch these young kids play for school pride then to watch today's over paid/over grown cry babies anytime!