Options

Canon 10D dilemma

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited November 3, 2005 in Cameras
Brand new Canon 10D for $999. that comes with everything AND a Canon EF 28-90mm f4.0-5.6 USM lense... with sales tax it'd be around $1075ish.:(: Should i go for it. and just set it up on Lay-away. and have to wait for 3 months before i can pay it off??
:humungus

-daniel-

:help
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Huh?
    DanielB wrote:
    Brand new Canon 10D for $999. that comes with everything AND a Canon EF 28-90mm f4.0-5.6 USM lense... with sales tax it'd be around $1075ish.:(: Should i go for it. and just set it up on Lay-away. and have to wait for 3 months before i can pay it off??
    gerg.gif

-daniel-

What happened to a low use 2nd hand one?

Heck for $1000 you can shop around and get a new 20D body for that!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    What happened to a low use 2nd hand one?

Heck for $1000 you can shop around and get a new 20D body for that!!

Agreed. I'd not pay that for a 10D, not with 20D prices so low, and the rebates that are in effect right now.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 2, 2005
    I am not familiar with the lens value right off, but 2nd hand 10D bodies are going for ~$500 or $600. I think a used 20D can be found for around 1K if you look awhile. Or even a new 350XT.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am not familiar with the lens value right off, but 2nd hand 10D bodies are going for ~$500 or $600. I think a used 20D can be found for around 1K if you look awhile. Or even a new 350XT.

A new 20D is only 1242 less $100 rebate - that's $1142.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    gerg.gif

-daniel-

Daniel,

Don't let that money burn a hole oin your pocket!

The good news is your getting into photography at an age that will allow unlimited growth, and learning. The digital camera industry is producing outstanding products with the results as good or even better in some cases than film.

On the other hand you suffer from what many of us do, lack of funds. :):

Here is my thoughts on the subject. First as previously discussed, the system, IE Canon, or Nikon, is the big decision. Once you have made this choice, good lenses, are more impotant that the body. Canon, and Nikon will be coming out with new models evey couple of years.

You can produce better photos with good glass and a older less advanced body, than the other way around.

If you think for example Canon is your choice, and your budget would only cover an older body, then I think your in the drivers seat price wise.

Although the 10D and the 300D are both good cameras, they are at this point out dated with a limited, and shrinking demand.

Don't be afraid to do some haggling on the price. They are not selling like hot cakes any more.

$1000 for a 10D is too much in my opinion. If you can aford this your real close to a 20D which is far more advanced than the 10D.

Take your time there is no rush, keep looking asking questions, and saving your money.

Sam
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Daniel,

$1000 for a 10D is too much in my opinion. If you can aford this your real close to a 20D which is far more advanced than the 10D.

Take your time there is no rush, keep looking asking questions, and saving your money.

Sam
    I agree that the $1000 is too much.thumb.gif
    BUT advanced? It's the person that makes a photo not the camera!
    No matter how advanced a camera is it won't make a professional out of a rookie.headscratch.gif

20D is a little more advanced 8mp.....Use of IS....9pt auto instead of 7....but we aren't talking a Porsche over a Model T.

If a person trys to keep up with technology it'll run em broke!:cry

Just my opinion and only my opinion.umph.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    No affiliation, but $765 for a 10D with BG-ED3 grip, 3 batteries and low shutter actuations looks like a good deal on a very good DSLR.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/304092
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    chuckh wrote:
    No affiliation, but $765 for a 10D with BG-ED3 grip, 3 batteries and low shutter actuations looks like a good deal on a very good DSLR.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/304092

grrr. i wish i could go to FM's buy+sell forum. too bad i can't because it won't let me sign up. All i need is a simple Paid-for e-mail account and Presto. i'm in. but noooo. i have to have Hotmail!:toni

lol. it is a horrid predicament.
    -daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I agree that the $1000 is too much.thumb.gif
    Agreed. They're going for cheap on ebay.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    grrr. i wish i could go to FM's buy+sell forum. too bad i can't because it won't let me sign up. All i need is a simple Paid-for e-mail account and Presto. i'm in. but noooo. i have to have Hotmail!:toni

lol. it is a horrid predicament.
    -daniel-
    Keep checking the buy / sell thread here at Dgrin. Something will show up sonner or later.

Sam