Options

School Math Book

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited November 3, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm scratching my head over this and wanting to know if this sounds legitimate to people. I was contacted October 25th by a "photo researcher" about an image rate for one of my kart racing photos to be used in an 8th grade math book. To be invoiced in January, an expected copyright of 2007, expected run of 100,000 copies plus electronic publishing. I quoted $300 for the one use. The next day I was told they'd get back with me.

Today, roughly a week later I'm told they selected one of my photos. They are requesting a 300dpi at 4x6" image ASAP. I am told to invoice them in January, with payment made in January.

This seems too quick for one. For the other, seems odd to hand over the photo before payment, or at least before invoicing for the photograph. I'd like, for example, to have an invoice in to them and terms accepcted before I hand it over. Lastly I'm not sure if this person actually works for the publisher or not. "Photo researcher" is all I know. Email address is a Road Runner account. No mention of who she works for.

Am I worried for nothing? How do I politely get some of these questions answered? Thanks.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    You don't have to be polite. There's no reason to just hand something over without any kind of a contract.

My MIL is a photo researcher for textbooks, I'll email her and see what her general process is. Off the top of my head, I think she goes through stock agencies mostly so that payment, etc is more automated. But I'll try to find out for you.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm scratching my head over this and wanting to know if this sounds legitimate to people. I was contacted October 25th by a "photo researcher" about an image rate for one of my kart racing photos to be used in an 8th grade math book. To be invoiced in January, an expected copyright of 2007, expected run of 100,000 copies plus electronic publishing. I quoted $300 for the one use. The next day I was told they'd get back with me.

Today, roughly a week later I'm told they selected one of my photos. They are requesting a 300dpi at 4x6" image ASAP. I am told to invoice them in January, with payment made in January.

This seems too quick for one. For the other, seems odd to hand over the photo before payment, or at least before invoicing for the photograph. I'd like, for example, to have an invoice in to them and terms accepcted before I hand it over. Lastly I'm not sure if this person actually works for the publisher or not. "Photo researcher" is all I know. Email address is a Road Runner account. No mention of who she works for.

Am I worried for nothing? How do I politely get some of these questions answered? Thanks.

Ask to speak with the publisher, get some creds before handing over the file is what I'd do. For a hamburger today I'll gladly pay you Tuesday?

tuesday2.jpgwimpy.gif

:nono
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Here's my MIL's reply:
    He should ask the name of the company, address, phone and verify it. Ask for the request on house stationery, another way. Price sounds low for 100,00 print run. What size on the page, is it a chapter opener, cover, or just inside; fax the copy that goes with the photo. I'd be interested to know the company. Also, individuals are usually paid upfront. Get a contract too. He needs more info.
    HTH ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Here's my MIL's reply:

HTH ne_nau.gif

Thanks. I'll get more info. I've had conflicting advice on this (as expected), including one from another race photog who has been published in Texas text books who said don't worry, this is how it was handled with him, you'll be fine.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Whats a MIL?
    icon10.gif Sorry, internet shorthand for mother-in-law. Similarly there's BIL, SIL, etc. My favorite is SWMBO for she-who-must-be-obeyed. lol8.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Wimpy had no MIL, he could have had one but spent his money on a hamburger instead.