Three O'Malleys

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited March 11, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Three Amigos at O'Mallys is what I get from this. I am still too shy to get in this close.:rambo
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Three Amigos at O'Mallys is what I get from this. I am still too shy to get in this close.:rambo

I don't know about shy, but I go through the "What If" feeling every time I start.
    For me I just have to push past that and look for images/light.

After that initial apprehension, I then trust my feelings about who is and is not approachable.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    ok the title threw me off. I also don't see three O'Malley's and it's hard to get past the title.
    So I'll pretend it's not there and though I applaud you for gettin so close, the shot just leaves me wanting something more.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I agree with Liz. All I see is three people lined up to get food from a trailer. Is there more to this than meets the eye Ben?
    edited March 5, 2012
    ok the title threw me off. I also don't see three O'Malley's and it's hard to get past the title.
    So I'll pretend it's not there and though I applaud you for gettin so close, the shot just leaves me wanting something more.
    RSL wrote: »
    I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I agree with Liz. All I see is three people lined up to get food from a trailer. Is there more to this than meets the eye Ben?

In Show Biz terms leaving them wanting more is a good thing mwink.gif

For Me there's plenty for you maybe not so much but..............................................

One thing you might look at is the uncanny resemblense to "Migrant Mother", not the overall seen but just one face.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    The power of Migrant Mother wasn't just the face of the woman, Ben. If she'd been standing in front of a snack wagon, even with two kids in her arms, Dorothea wouldn't have bothered. Or, if she had bothered, she'd have culled.
    edited March 6, 2012
    The power of Migrant Mother wasn't just the face of the woman, Ben. If she'd been standing in front of a snack wagon, even with two kids in her arms, Dorothea wouldn't have bothered. Or, if she had bothered, she'd have culled.

You just don't understand what I'm saying,

It's OK
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I think the shot is pretty and dare I suggest it, I think it needs a crop across the top to lose the O'Malleys sign. It's a distraction. If you wanted to keep the aspect ratio, crop from top and left.

This is hard to explain, it is a nicely executed shot technically and it has good aesthetic qualities to it. But it leaves me cool. There doesn't seem to be a WTF or a social statement or be documenting an occurrence. Still, another I would have held onto for the back catalogue. If only that I would have been pleased with the capture, if not the content.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012

+1...same for me...what's the idea behind the image? What grabbed you and made you take this photo?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 11, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    +1...same for me...what's the idea behind the image? What grabbed you and made you take this photo?

All right Ed, but remember everything I say is very prejudice.

I like:
    The B&W
    The DOF
    The repeated 3 theme
    The Comp
    I like the overall coldness
    Last but not least I'm drawn in by the one ladies stare,
    which again reminds me of the Mother in "Migrant Mother"

Also I do not shoot on the Street with an idea in mind (unless it's a Theme driven Competition).