Options

What is this!!!!!????

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited March 5, 2012 in Cameras
New problem with my D3s?? Or could this be card related? When it was noticed I was thinking it was a problem with my Sandisk 32. But it did it on each card to varying degrees. Some fights were 10pics some were none. I am bummed.
i-7qWVrsf-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 4, 2012
    That looks like the RF grounding has failed. Since it happens with all cards, check the card bay inside the camera to see if one of the grounding pins is bent or broken first.

If the pins are OK, it sounds like the camera will need repairs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Just checked the pins............they are perfect in both slots. Damn it!!! Got a motocross at the end of the month.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Time for the backup camera to come out, and this bad boy to hit the doctor's office! Even if it magically comes back to life, this is a dead camera waiting to happen.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    I just had this one serviced not too long ago :(. New shutter box and board. Maybe the new board is weird. I have always thought it was slower to AF in some situations after the service.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Really glad I picked up that d700.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Notice it's not just color, the objects are off center as well. Ouch.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 4, 2012
    Try another card reader just to be sure.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 4, 2012
    Can you see the correct images with the card in the camera?? Or is this what you see on the camera LCD? Or is this only seen after importing the files onto your computer?

Have you tried each of these cards in another camera as well?

I have seen this kind of thing with a defective card, while the camera body was fine, so just be careful about what you assume. I am not saying it is not the camera, but I think that has not been totally proven without answering Joel and my questions.

Joel's suggestion is worthwhile.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    I used to run into this from time to time with a specific SD card. Strangely, this only happened if I imported using Lightroom. Almost always if I deleted and redownloaded from the card i was able to recover the image.

I suspect it was a problem with the card, and not the camera itself. Still not sure why it only happened with LR tho. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    This was during an event, using 3 different cards that have always worked flawlessly. Images were imported into LR3. Maybe I need to test more. All cards were formatted in camera after each download. So, can't really check by viewing in camera. Still processing images. Maybe the last fight has some. I haven't erased that card yet. Maybe it is my computer's card reader?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Try another card reader just to be sure.
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Maybe it is my computer's card reader?
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    This was during an event, using 3 different cards that have always worked flawlessly. Images were imported into LR3. Maybe I need to test more. All cards were formatted in camera after each download. So, can't really check by viewing in camera. Still processing images. Maybe the last fight has some. I haven't erased that card yet. Maybe it is my computer's card reader?

Yeah, this CAN happen on import. That's why you verify the transfer thoroughly before formatting, haha.

Shoot some more images, and try downloading them on various card readers, using various methods.

Personally, I avoid using Lightroom for downloading for this very reason; I always download my images manually using explorer / finder. Can't get any more basic than that.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    This is why I *never* and I mean *never* reformat until I have three copies - one on computer, two on back-up drives - and have checked to see if everything is fine. Scary stuff.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    These look like corrupted .jpg images to me. The kind you might see if, say, you were using something like PC File Recovery on a card that has died or been formatted. Not sure what the cause is, but I wouldn't be prepared to say it was the camera ... as others have noted.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Because of the situation we were in, massive backup is not practical. We were shooting fights and showing photos throughout the night. Luckily, nothing really good was lost. LR is the easiest way to import these NEF files and get them into folders and quickly apply settings as the files are imported. We then use picasa to view them on multiple stations. We rotate a few cards and format as we go. I will do some more looking before I freak out and send away to Nikon. I think it is highly possible this is just a corrupt file. There are more files that have an error message that are uneditable and smugmug will not let them up load. These files look just fine. But there is something wrong with the file that LR and SM do not like.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    You may want to reconsider reformatting your cards often. Modern CF cards use wear leveling. When you format, you can reset the wear leveling (depends on implementation, vendor specific). This can lead to early card death. Deleting the images does not do this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    You may want to reconsider reformatting your cards often. Modern CF cards use wear leveling. When you format, you can reset the wear leveling (depends on implementation, vendor specific). This can lead to early card death. Deleting the images does not do this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling
    Given that photographers tend to fill memory cards before downloading and reformatting, I can't see how this applies. We are already using our cards very evenly.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    We rotate a few cards and format as we go.

Maybe consider getting more cards so that you don't have to re-use / format full cards at the event?

pp
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    13 high speed cards to do the event I just shot= $$$$?
    Loaded up the last one last night and unfortunately, it was perfect. I didn't have one corrupt file out of 535 images. This was with a card that was giving me issues earlier. I am leaning toward the card reader. It is mounted into the PC card slot in my laptop. Maybe it has an issue? It seems most of the images I had problems with were from the first half of the night.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    13 high speed cards to do the event I just shot= $$$$?
    Loaded up the last one last night and unfortunately, it was perfect. I didn't have one corrupt file out of 535 images. This was with a card that was giving me issues earlier. I am leaning toward the card reader. It is mounted into the PC card slot in my laptop. Maybe it has an issue? It seems most of the images I had problems with were from the first half of the night.

I'm now remembering, I briefly had the same issue on a couple of files a couple of months ago. It was shortly before the card reader on my computer crapped out. I now use plug-in readers, haven't had any more issues. May or may not be a similar situation.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Do any of these pictures look ok on your camera viewing screen? If so then losing something in translation....I know Captain obvious.

Bum deal :(.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Do any of these pictures look ok on your camera viewing screen? If so then losing something in translation....I know Captain obvious.

Bum deal :(.

Not sure zoomer. I rarely preview pics on the screen while shooting something like this. There isn't time. Other than checking exposure on occasion.

I will try to get one of the corrupted files that is not rainbowed out. There are many more of those. They look fine but give me an error in LR. As far as how many. It was maybe 30 pics out of 3000?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I mean load a card back into the camera, see if it shows ok on the camera preview screen if so....then a translation error somewhere.....grasping at straws probably.

In my experience I have never seen anything like what you posted here.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    I mean load a card back into the camera, see if it shows ok on the camera preview screen if so....then a translation error somewhere.....grasping at straws probably.

In my experience I have never seen anything like what you posted here.

I need to check my other card to see if it has images on it. I think all of the pics that have had problems have been formated.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I have experienced the same thing in the past. The problem was in the transfer process. How why what I don't know but the original file was fine.

Like other here I don't reformat my cards until all the images have been transferred looked at and backed up.

In your situation maybe you could have who ever is downloading the images into LR watch the process. Spotting a corrupt file will be easy.

Sam
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    In your situation maybe you could have who ever is downloading the images into LR watch the process. Spotting a corrupt file will be easy.

Sam

Or, perhaps, Irfanview? I know Irvanview (which is a spectacular image view for Windows systems) reads Canon Cr2 raw file formats, with a plugin, and suspect it woudl do the same for Nikon ... breezes through files quickly.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    LR is embedded in my workflow. No way around it. It is my cataloging and editing program and no way I am switching unless something is somehow blazing fast and better. In 100,000s of images I have loaded into LR I have never seen it. So I am guessing I could have a problem with the reader or my computer or, my camera. My HD is really really full. So is it possible that that is part of the problem?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    ... I am guessing I could have a problem with the reader or my computer or, my camera. My HD is really really full. So is it possible that that is part of the problem?

A new card reader is cheap, so start there.

At this point you should explore everything until you find the problem. If the coming motocross is an important event you may want to rent a body and get some additional cards, just to amortize your losses across the 2 bodies and the new cards. Use both bodies and alternate, shooting even more than usual.

Don't reformat the cards until you have verified the files, of course.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Really the Motocross might be the only good test. It is hard to test something like this without shooting tons of photos. I will order another reader from Delkin and try that first. I have 2 other bodies. So I am backed up there if there is a problem at an event. From here out I need to really watch this and also have whoever is loading images watch this as well. If there is a download that has some of these oddball files we need to stop and investigate with the camera and card. I am leaning toward something being corrupted in the transfer at this point. But as so many have said, it could be many different problems.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Camera has two card slots - test this with only writing to the second slot, or dual writing to both and see if it happens to both cards?

Also, seen some recommendations that triple formatting (do it 3x in a row) a card is best for it. Good luck!!!
    //Leah