Options

Two shots, C&C

ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited March 5, 2012 in People
Two shots, I think these may have been posted before with a collection of photos. After revisiting these, I'd like to hear what some others think. I know opinions are very subjective, but any feedback is great for me. Primarily on the composition, and some with editing/cropping type stuff. Both were shot with my 35 1.8

This one I really like the posing and setup. I have a version cropped in on the sides a bit and I think I like it better, but here's how it was sooc. The little girl, my niece, was very interested in Grandma who was my distraction, but alas, a little far to the left. Still turned out decent, and I'm pretty happy with it.
DSC0150-L.jpg

More family, this is my younger sister and her fiance. While it wasn't an engagement shoot by any means, we decided to take a couple shots of that variety. This is where I wish I had a ladder or a standard zoom. Fairly happy with this one too. Taken on a picnic table and shooting straight down. I was standing on the bench part, and I'm pretty short so couldn't get up to high.
KelsNick-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Exposures and skin tones are spot on to me. That part has always been my biggest challenge. Great job.

I like the pose on number one. The pose says shoot in portrait perspective rather than landscape to me though. There's a lot of stuff/area on both sides of the subjects that doesn't add anything to the finished product. (my opinion FWIW) The rim light on the woman's sweater is really nice.

On number two, knowing women and their reactions to pictures as I do, she is just going to hate her double chin. That really jumps out at me.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2012
    Image #1 has a lot in the frame that doesn't contribute to the image. It also
    has some distracting clutter at the far left and a blown-out white horizontal bar
    area to the right of the subjects. The image would be better in
    portrait without cutting off the subject at the knees.

Image #2 is disorientating to me.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Exposures and skin tones are spot on to me. That part has always been my biggest challenge. Great job.

I like the pose on number one. The pose says shoot in portrait perspective rather than landscape to me though. There's a lot of stuff/area on both sides of the subjects that doesn't add anything to the finished product. (my opinion FWIW) The rim light on the woman's sweater is really nice.

On number two, knowing women and their reactions to pictures as I do, she is just going to hate her double chin. That really jumps out at me.
    15524779-Ti.gif (100%)
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Thanks for the critiques!

Definitely agree on number one with the portrait vs landscape. Can't recall the shoes and if they were to distracting, I'll have to see if I have them in another shot. Guess I'm stuck cropping this one in for the time being.

Number two, the double chin is something I never even noticed. My sister (the girl) saw the pic and never commented, but I think it was a quick glance and she didn't really *look* at it if you will. As for being disorienting, it sort of is yeah. Partly why I like it to be honest, but it does take a bit of looking at it to get used to it I think. Though this may simply be my bias in knowing the two people as well.

Appreciate the comments very much.