A dive and a catch!

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited March 6, 2012 in Wildlife
I have been practicing Harry's prescription for catching flips. It is amazing how fast these birds are, because I didn't see any of its catches with my naked eye. I did catch one flip, but it was too OOF to post. The Great Egrets seem to like to spear their catches and then jump up from the lagoon onto the bank to flip and swallow them. I am looking forward to having a camera that does a little better with higher ISO settings so I can get my shutter speed up higher. Soon! All comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated. Best, Pam

1. The dive . . .

2012-0302GreatEgretAveryIsland-L.jpg

2. and the catch!

2012-0302GreatEgretAveryIsland-L.jpg

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    Very nice, well shot
    Think #1 is a bit too tight in frame, more space would have shown more reflections. Also
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Two good captures Pam. I can see that your egrets are getting their mating colors on. These birds are amazingly fast when they are on the hunt and you just have to shoot a rapid secession of captures to get the moment.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Very cool. Yes it is amazing when you fire a burst of frames how many times you get things not noticed by the naked eye. Ain't technology great :D
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    Great action, Pam. Although there is some motion blur. I don't understand your comment about needing a camera with better high ISO performance to improve your shutter speed. I've found the 7D to have excellent ISO performance up to 1600. I even shoot indoor sport often at ISO3200 and even ISO6400 and am constantly amazed at how clean it is. You could have doubled your shutter speed by using ISO800 and I seriously doubt you would notice any grain assuming you image was properly exposed to begin with (which is very important). Have you experienced otherwise?
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Great timing!
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Very nice, well shot
    Think #1 is a bit too tight in frame, more space would have shown more reflections. Also

Thanks, Phil. I see you are right, and I bet I could add some canvas to the sides to give the wings a bit more room. Unfortunately, I was just too close to the bird, and can't do much about adding to the reflection in the water. Best, Pam
    edited March 5, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Two good captures Pam. I can see that your egrets are getting their mating colors on. These birds are amazingly fast when they are on the hunt and you just have to shoot a rapid secession of captures to get the moment.

Thanks, Harry. You are right! I saw that bird catch 3 or 4 fish in a few minutes, and each time the only evidence I saw with my naked eye was a gulp or two. It sure is fun to see what you caught after the fact! Thanks for cluing me in! Best, Pam
    edited March 5, 2012
    Mathieu05 wrote: »
    Great timing!

Thanks, Chris. Harry's tutorial surprised me when I read it, because he pointed out that he had caught several "flips" (when the bird opens its beak and flips its catch before swallowing it head first), but never seen them with his naked eye. So I followed his advice and just fired off a burst of shots when I saw the bird start to dive into the water, and then hope for the best! Best, Pam
    edited March 5, 2012
    Very cool. Yes it is amazing when you fire a burst of frames how many times you get things not noticed by the naked eye. Ain't technology great :D

It sure is, Dan! Thanks! Pam
    edited March 5, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Great action, Pam. Although there is some motion blur. I don't understand your comment about needing a camera with better high ISO performance to improve your shutter speed. I've found the 7D to have excellent ISO performance up to 1600. I even shoot indoor sport often at ISO3200 and even ISO6400 and am constantly amazed at how clean it is. You could have doubled your shutter speed by using ISO800 and I seriously doubt you would notice any grain assuming you image was properly exposed to begin with (which is very important). Have you experienced otherwise?

Hey Joel, thanks for mentioning this. I have not had very good experience past ISO 400, but now that you tell me you have, I am going to try again and try to make sure it isn't something else I am doing wrong. Best, Pam
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Pam-- Kdog, very good advice w/D300 it gave me the 800 ISO finally headscratch.gifhuh any light 800 is like 200 and 400 was a few years ago. Cannon had that way before Nikon finally gave it to us . Harry gave you a good one but you have to get the timing of when to pull the trigger . I will post a flip and how I got it but it will not be as good as what Harry and Dog just gave you thumb.gif advice wise -
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited March 6, 2012
    Jeff, thank you! I can't wait! Where is that post and play-by-play of how you got the flip? I really appreciate all of the advice and coaching from this forum of very generous photographers. Best, Pam