Options

I Don't Get $200.00 price Difference in Lens??

Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited November 4, 2005 in Cameras
I'm a newbie to the Canon 20D and to DSLR's in general.
I purchased the 17-85 lens with the 20D.

What I 'need' now is a lens for lowlight 'candid portraiture' shooting.
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM autofocus is $304.95 with the rebate, BUT the 50 mm f/1.8 autofocus (NOT USM) is only $80.00 .

Is the MAJOR price difference worth it? I have heard the f1.8 does just a good a job in lowlight. Does anyone know if the $80.00 will do the job?

thanks for the help. Diane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.dianeschafer.com

Comments

• Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Diane S wrote:
    I'm a newbie to the Canon 20D and to DSLR's in general.
    I purchased the 17-85 lens with the 20D.

What I 'need' now is a lens for lowlight 'candid portraiture' shooting.
    The Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM autofocus is $304.95 with the rebate, BUT the 50 mm f/1.8 autofocus (NOT USM) is only $80.00 .

Is the MAJOR price difference worth it? I have heard the f1.8 does just a good a job in lowlight. Does anyone know if the $80.00 will do the job?

thanks for the help. Diane
    Personally I want the Tamron Super Performance 90mm f2.8 for portrait and macro work. Around $450 but worth every penny I hear!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Mostly plastic lens on the f/1.8. A good peformer and value. The 50 f/1.8 is a fine lens, give it a try.

I use the 1.4, it's mostly metal, much more durable, and at f/1.4, brighter.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 2, 2005
    The 50 f1.8 is considered one of those bargains you ocaisionally can find. It is reasonably fast and pretty sharp. But the construction is not in the same ball park as the 50 f1.4 USM.

The 50mm f1.4 has a more durable and detailed lens barrel, and is sharper at f1.8 than the 50mm f1.8.

Worth the difference in price?? A lot of folks think so. I myself own the 50 f1.4, but I bought a pair of the 50 f1.8s for family members as gifts. ne_nau.gif

The lens barrel is much more nicely knurled for the f1.4 and I think the lens elements in the 1.8 MAY be plastic. But who cares if it focuses the light sharply.

:D Ya beat me Andy!! rolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    THANKS!! I guess you all just confirmed it.... if I can afford the f/1.4, I should get that one....but the f/1.8 will also allow me to shoot without the flash in lowlight, which is what I need.

I appreciate your responses.. I shall continue to mull it over .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Diane, you might also want to check the fredmiranda.com for sale forum as the 1.4 can be found used in mint condition for well under $300, and with hood usually about $290. the hood otherwise will be an extra $25 or so.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    The 50mm has a plastic lens mount, that concerns me. Then again you could buy another lens again and again and still have saved money.
  • Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    The first 50 1.8 that I purchased had some specs inside the lens, right out of the box, I returned it for a another one....6 months later, I have specs inside this one. I don't know if anyone else has had any issues with particles getting inside the lens, but it bugs me. So I'm putting some funds together for the 1.4:uhoh

Other than the particle issues, the lens performed wellthumb.gif
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb