Options

Big Easy Time

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I'm off to the Big Easy in a short bit for some serious eating, drinking, and music. I'll be back by the week end. I'll leave you with a few pictures from the Viera Wetlands.

All the work the great blues did on their nests has begun to pay off
D3S0885-XL.jpg

The anhingas are keeping up
DSC0987-XL.jpg

most birds regurgitate their food for their chicks but the anhinga chicks just stick their heads down their parent's throat and help themselves
DSC1094-XL.jpg

here's flip for Pam
D3S7973-XL.jpg

an otter cub
D3S7498-XL.jpg

The weather down here has been great. Here's a view of the nesting area taken withtheFuji X-100
017-XL.jpg

I volunteer at the wetlands now. I close and lock the place up on Sunday nights. Here's a capture of the wetlands from last night. Taken with the Fuji X-100
004-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    1 and 3 are not just great captures but exposer eek7.gif nice work Harry clap.gifclapthumb.gif--now that flip is touching one bill ne_nau.gifDrolleyes1.gif I would love to get some otter shots but no way in L.A :cry I would love to lock up Bolsa rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif but I think they would have someting to say to me and it would not be good ! Really a great post Harry :ivar
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Great shots Harry.
    Tell me that these aren't from this year.
    I'd hate to think that i missed all the shots of the youngin's.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    And Harry just keeps turning them out. Nice job.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Great shots Harry.
    Tell me that these aren't from this year.
    I'd hate to think that i missed all the shots of the youngin's.

Thanks Dave and I hate to say this but I got the captures of the chciks on 2/29 just a few days after you left.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Harry, these are terrific! I love the flip, of course! And the Anhinga feeding the young! What a great shot. The playful otter has got to make everyone smile. Your birds must be ahead of ours. I'm going to check out the nests at Bird City this afternoon, but I haven't seen any chicks yet. You have such great access to wildlife at Vierra, and you put your talent to maximum use, to the benefit of all of us! Many thanks, Pam
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Wonderful images per usual, Harry.

The angles in the second shot make it a very engaging image to my eye.....I might darken the perch just a bit....?

What can you tell me about the X-100? I was very interested in it and kind of forgot about it since I wasn't even using what I have. Is it rugged? I have a convertible now and won't be driving it to the places I used the SUV for. I thought that would be a nice camera just to leave in the car for landscapes and candids.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Wonderful images per usual, Harry.

The angles in the second shot make it a very engaging image to my eye.....I might darken the perch just a bit....?

What can you tell me about the X-100? I was very interested in it and kind of forgot about it since I wasn't even using what I have. Is it rugged? I have a convertible now and won't be driving it to the places I used the SUV for. I thought that would be a nice camera just to leave in the car for landscapes and candids.

Thanks Ric. The X-100? First, its the dumbest camera I have ever used. I dislike the menu set up intensely. Whenever I let it choose a setting in aperture pririty , shutter priority, or auto ISO I am less than thrilled with the results. The AF is OK, less than OK until you get used to it. The MF focus is useless.

That said I usually shoot it manually (me choosing the ISO, aperture & shutter speed). I am very. very, very happy with the pictures I get with it. Its fun to shoot, looks way cool, and as long as I take the time it gives me marvelous pictures.

shuttle roll out ISO 3200
    DSCF0302-XL.jpg

NYC
    DSCF0458bw-XL.jpg

Kenya
    harry-022-XL.jpg
    Harry
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Boy, Ric. Harry gave you a mixed review on that camera if ever I have read one. Great photos, though. Makes me laugh. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Great pics!

If I have to think too much.............what was I saying?!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    Boy, Ric. Harry gave you a mixed review on that camera if ever I have read one. Great photos, though. Makes me laugh. Best, Pam

Harry is just pointing out how adept he is! wings.gifD
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    PGM wrote: »

Actually, considering that I'm a grumpy old fart, that was a rave review,
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Actually, considering that I'm a grumpy old fart, that was a rave review,

You told me what I wanted to know....thanks.
  • Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I can see the little guy in the first one thinking, "I sure hope those aren't My parents" lol. These are all beautiful shots. I hope one day to be this good.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    1 and 3 are not just great captures but exposer eek7.gif nice work Harry clap.gifclapthumb.gif--now that flip is touching one bill ne_nau.gifDrolleyes1.gif I would love to get some otter shots but no way in L.A :cry I would love to lock up Bolsa rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif but I think they would have someting to say to me and it would not be good ! Really a great post Harry :ivar

Thanks Jeff and I'm not taking the blame for the egret not doing the flip properly. I only document the event. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff and I'm not taking the blame for the egret not doing the flip properly. I only document the event. :D
    Harry that was good clap.gif funny thumb.gif better than my joke :nono
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2012
    And Harry just keeps turning them out. Nice job.

Thanks Dan
    Harry
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 15, 2012
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2012
    I can see the little guy in the first one thinking, "I sure hope those aren't My parents" lol. These are all beautiful shots. I hope one day to be this good.

Thanks very much and it just takes repetition, going out there day after day and learning from your screw-ups.
    Harry
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2012
    You must be the happiest man alive for having those great captures. Well done!
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.