Options

Photography Question

LadytreLadytre Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited March 7, 2012 in Finishing School
Hello to All,

Since the moderators are photographers, as well, I wanted to ask this question. I have yet to receive an answer and I felt that maybe someone on here can answer it. I have been shooting, for a while, in JPEG. I wanted to start shooting RAW, but the files would not upload on Photoshop CS4. Can someone give me some advice?:dunno

Comments

• Options
    Rob DouglasRob Douglas Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Do you have the latest version of camera RAW installed? Or installed at all?
    1D Mark IIn | EF 28-70mm 2.8L | EF 50mm 1.8 | 580EX
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    I've moved your thread from Dgrin Forum Support to the Finishing School Forum. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 5, 2012
    Your profile says that you are shooting with a Nikon D7000. If that's correct, you need ACR 6.3 or later for raw files. I don't believe CS4 supports anything beyond 5.7. So you have three choices:
    1) Upgrade Photoshop to CS5, which will come with the latest version of ACR.
    2) Use whatever raw conversion software Nikon provided for the raw conversion stage and save the results as TIFs, which you can then open in Photoshop.
    3) Convert your raw (NEF) files to DNG using a free converter that Adobe supplies, then do the raw processing in CS4, which does understand DNG files.

HTH.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Ladytre wrote: »
    Hello to All,

Since the moderators are photographers, as well, I wanted to ask this question. I have yet to receive an answer and I felt that maybe someone on here can answer it. I have been shooting, for a while, in JPEG. I wanted to start shooting RAW, but the files would not upload on Photoshop CS4. Can someone give me some advice?ne_nau.gif

CS4 is a fairly old software, and its ACR module is out of support. It doesn't know about most of the modern cameras. Chances are your hardware (camera) is newer then your software (PS CS4).
    What camera do you use?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    As Richard stated..your easiest path here is to download the Adobe DNG Converter and run all your raw files thru it then process in PSCS4... it is simply very easy to use and very fast and VERY FREE.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    As Richard stated..your easiest path here is to download the Adobe DNG Converter and run all your raw files thru it then process in PSCS4... it is simply very easy to use and very fast and VERY FREE.

+1

And DNG is a raw format, so you won't lose anything in the conversion.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Do you have the latest version of camera RAW installed? Or installed at all?

No, just Adobe CS4.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Your profile says that you are shooting with a Nikon D7000. If that's correct, you need ACR 6.3 or later for raw files. I don't believe CS4 supports anything beyond 5.7. So you have three choices:
    1) Upgrade Photoshop to CS5, which will come with the latest version of ACR.
    2) Use whatever raw conversion software Nikon provided for the raw conversion stage and save the results as TIFs, which you can then open in Photoshop.
    3) Convert your raw (NEF) files to DNG using a free converter that Adobe supplies, the do the raw processing in CS4, which does understand DNG files.

HTH.
    I will be upgrading to CS5, in early summer, but until then, the software that Nikon provided was ViewNX2. Just asking, would this allow me to work with RAW files?
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    CS4 is a fairly old software, and its ACR module is out of support. It doesn't know about most of the modern cameras. Chances are your hardware (camera) is newer then your software (PS CS4).
    What camera do you use?
    I use a Nikon D7000
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Ladytre wrote: »
    I will be upgrading to CS5, in early summer, but until then, the software that Nikon provided was ViewNX2. Just asking, would this allow me to work with RAW files?

Converting to DNG and using the version of Adobe Camera Raw you own now OR upgrading to CS5 OR using the latest version of whatever Nikon software provided for you camera will allow you to process the raws.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    What Richard said. Get DNG converter for now and upgrade PS later.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nikon View has a tool on the upper tool bar that says CONVERT FILES, clicking it opens a dialog box and you can convert selected images into jpeg with some options like size or where to save.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700