Something about lemons and lemonade (I need to gripe)

PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
edited March 11, 2012 in The Big Picture
I've been working on changing my lens line-up around lately. I was trying to get everything done before we left for vacation (this morning). My Sigma 24 f/1.8 arrived just a couple of days ago. The 18-200 (trying for a second time) I ordered wasn't going to come until today so I had it shipped to our vacation spot.

I put the 24 f/1.8 on the camera today and it severely back-focuses. Even with -20 correction on the D7000 it's still several inches off. This is the first focus problem I've had with my D7000.

Then, I checked the tracking number for the 18-200 and found that USPS had declared the package "undeliverable" and sent it back to sender. I called and talked to the Post Office but they assure me there's no way to stop it from going all the way back to its sender. I'll have to pay him for shipping a second time and have it sent to the home address.

I left my 35 f/1.8 at home because I was bringing the 24mm, which is basically unusable.

So...a family vacation with nothing but a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. It could certainly be worse, but this is a bit disappointing.

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Well, you can rent something nice from LensRentals.com or someplace similar and have it shipped overnight. You'd have an extra expense, but at least you'd have a good lens for your trip and won't miss out on as many good pics.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    That's a good suggestion, thanks. I love LensRentals and had looked into renting something for this trip and then decided that I need to make due with what I've got.

Today we went to the aquarium and the 24 f/1.8 performed pretty well, I think. Though the micro-focus adjustment requires -20 but real-world use the lens seems to perform better than it did on the LensAlign.

If LensRentals had a sigma 2x TC I think I'd get that here overnight. I'd love to try it on my 50-150 and see what the results are like.

Results with the 24 f/1.8 from the last two days:

PDM7668-L.jpg

PDM7616-L.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I know you wanted 1.8 with this lens, but seriously, when it comes to one time shots like the last one, I think some deeper aperture is called for anyway, just to make sure it gets there. Nice Shot!
    tom wise
    edited March 8, 2012
    Thanks Tom. You're right about that; there are lots of times when f/4-f/8 is better than f/1.8.
  • KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    You always want to inform the post office where it's to be delivered to or send it general delivery or it will be sent back as they don't know you and the address sent to may have a PO Box.
    edited March 11, 2012
    The package had an electronically created label but the Post Office system is apparently not capable of checking the address that was just input. So they're willing to create a shipping label, and take payment, for a package addressed to an undeliverable address. FedEX or UPS would be out of business if their technology was this bad but since USPS gets propped up by the government...
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Hahaha, sigma... I have the same lens (the 24 mm) and mine back-focuses too... luckily not so severely that it can't be corrected by the camera adjustment.