Options

Well I did it!

StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited November 5, 2005 in Cameras
I took the dSLR leap! My husband came home from work the other night after we had talked, and handed me a box. Inside that box was the Nikon D50.

After using my Sony 828, which I thought was fast... the Nikon is like night and day! Holy fast camera batman!

I still haven't played around with it too much, since it is dark when I get off work, but I will try this weekend. I know most people here are Canon users, but I have seen a few Nikon users here. I may ask a few questions along the way, since the whole lens thing has me all confused. :scratch

I am a happy camer tho! Woohoo! I like it!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 2, 2005
    Congrats Stef, Nikon users are cool!! And welcome here too!! We just love to tease them a tiny little bit is all :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Congrats Stef, Nikon users are cool!! And welcome here too!! We just love to tease them a tiny little bit is all :):
    Yes, I have noticed that! But I see it's all in fun. For the most part everyone here is pretty friendly with each other.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Stef wrote:
    I took the dSLR leap! My husband came home from work the other night after we had talked, and handed me a box. Inside that box was the Nikon D50.

After using my Sony 828, which I thought was fast... the Nikon is like night and day! Holy fast camera batman!

I still haven't played around with it too much, since it is dark when I get off work, but I will try this weekend. I know most people here are Canon users, but I have seen a few Nikon users here. I may ask a few questions along the way, since the whole lens thing has me all confused. headscratch.gif

Congrats Stef. I had the same experience when I went from my 717 to the Nikon D100.

Here's a link to a great web site with good info on Nikon cameras and lenses
    www.bythom.com .

If you have any questions there are lots of Nikon users here who can give you the answers.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    obviously you will enjoy it enormously. congratulations. i'm a canon shooter, but nikons are great. check out their new DX VR 18-200mm lens, what a great range. maybe i'll switch to nikon! one lens may be all a person needs.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited November 2, 2005
    Congrats on the leap!

I'm sure you'll enjoy taking many fine photos with it.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Congrats Stef. I had the same experience when I went from my 717 to the Nikon D100.

Here's a link to a great web site with good info on Nikon cameras and lenses
    www.bythom.com .

If you have any questions there are lots of Nikon users here who can give you the answers.
    Thanks for that link. I just spent way too much time reading things. I know I will refer to that often!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Stef wrote:

I still haven't played around with it too much, since it is dark when I get off work, but I will try this weekend. I know most people here are Canon users, but I have seen a few Nikon users here. I may ask a few questions along the way, since the whole lens thing has me all confused. headscratch.gif

Congratulations!

Welcome to the world of DLSR, and say goodby to whatever disposable income you thought you had. :):

For anyone to get serious about the Canon / Nikon issue is beyond silly. Can you imagine anyone looking up at the chapel ceiling and yelling, hey you, Michael stop what your doing, we need to know what brand paints and brushes your using?

Just keep reading and have fun with your new camera, and the lens thing will become clear.

Sam
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Congratulations!

Welcome to the world of DLSR, and say goodby to whatever disposable income you thought you had. :):

For anyone to get serious about the Canon / Nikon issue is beyond silly. Can you imagine anyone looking up at the chapel ceiling and yelling, hey you, Michael stop what your doing, we need to know what brand paints and brushes your using?

Just keep reading and have fun with your new camera, and the lens thing will become clear.

Sam
    Isn't that the truth? What's disposable income? I FINALLY bought a D70s and since then I've had my eye on a few different lenses... I have an uncontrollable urge and pull towards some expensive glass ne_nau.gif it's a sickness. :uhoh
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Oh Stef....I had such higher hopes for you. nono.gif

Kidding...as a Canon shooter I heartily welcome you to the wonderful world of the DSLR. Get yourself a nice fast lens like the 50mm f1.8 for about $100. It's with fast glass that you REALLY start to enjoy the benefits of an SLR -- IMHO.

Lee
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    leebase wrote:

Kidding...as a Canon shooter I heartily welcome you to the wonderful world of the DSLR. Get yourself a nice fast lens like the 50mm f1.8 for about $100. It's with fast glass that you REALLY start to enjoy the benefits of an SLR -- IMHO.

Lee
    That is #1 on my wish list @ B & H. I should just order it... but I have to talk myself into it first... ughhh
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Congrats as well! I recently made the move from an 828, although I went for an Olympus E-300. So if you think Nikon is out numbered here, try being an Oly user rolleyes1.gif

I too noticed a HUGE difference in speed. But now I want even more! Maybe some faster glass will help.

Good luck with your new "toy".

Gene
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    leebase wrote:

Lee
    Thanks! You talked me into it. I just ordered from B & H! clap.gif
    I think this camera is going to cost me some money, and I think I may have figured out the pricing of the lenses. Hmmm why is it that the good ones cost so much?? ne_nau.gif:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side!
    As a former 828 user I can totally understand your excitement.:-) It's a totally new feeling and zone. It's a more demanding world, too. You're playing with the big boys now. No more excuses about the fixed lenses:-) And yes, you can kiss those remodeling plans good buy - you're now a humble subject of Her Majesty merciless Lens Lust..

I must frankly say: the shots I took during the first few weeks were much WORSE than what I thought I would do with 828. OOF, improperly exposed, blurred.. However, once I got accustomed to the camera (and especially after I spent another load of cash and got some nice USM IS lenses:-) the situation drastically improved. It also caused me to sacrifice my beloved 828 to the Lens Lust mentioned above :-).

Initially I was shooting jpegs (you remember the RAW mode on 828? brrrr). However, nowadays (only three months after crossing the Styx:-) I'm shooting almost exclusively in RAW (or in RAW+small jpg). It adds so much flexibility to the whole process...

One additional catch - with my Sony shots I quite often could upload them just straight from the camera. With dSLR there almost always is a need for some sort of post processing. Quite often (especially if I'm shooting high school football game at a rate of 300 images per night:-) it can be as little as checking the wb, exposure and basic sharpening/noise reduction in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), but still - some PP must be done. Maybe it's me, but I heard others describing similar work flow..

Anyways - good luck and, once again, welcome to the Dark Side!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    I know how ya feel!
    I too just took the leap from a 828!
    But then again I'm not new to lenses seeing as I did 35mm for 15yrs prior to digital. Yes I went to Canon....I had a Canon 35mm I loved so it was back to a brand I know.
    The prosumer 828 is a great camera but was real frustrating not being able to get past that dang 135mm!umph.gif
    Also had sharp focusing problems and Purple Fringing on light subjects.
    I do a lotta nature photography and always have and that limit bugged the poop outta me!

Any way this 10D I have is a DSLR equivalent to my old Canon A1 I used to have so I'm back in the swing of things.clap.gif
    As long as the "L" glass monster don't get me! rolleyes1.gif
    I used to built 1:25 model cars and we just moved into a home with no space for that. Thus I have been weeding off my 5yr collection of stuff on ebay......turning it into DSLR cash.
    Yeah I hafta go with 2nd hand stuff but most of the time it's just like new.
    (My 10D had 3200 pics taken with it and I hear they are good for 50,000+)
    My camera is very similar to your D50 cept mine is 6.3mp and has 7 point metering.

Nothing wrong at all with Nikon....just personal preference.
    From what I see there is 1/3 more Canon users than Nikon so getting 2nd hand goodies is not a problem.
    I don't make a lotta $$$ so I'm on a semi budget.
    Doubt I 'll ever get the point where I can spend $500+ for lenses!:uhoh
    The only expensive lenses I want is Tamron SP (Super Performance)90mm for portraits and macro stuff. It's about a $500 lens but well worth it for me.

I sell photo's now and then and if I can sell enough I MIGHT be able to get enough $$ for some GOOD lenses. Till then I'm happy where I'm at.

You'll love DSLR.....the flexibility is a definite plus. I missed it a lot!!
    Just shoot some frames every chance you get. Practice makes perfect.:D
    You'll get to know your camera and learn better and better photography.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    I too just took the leap from a 828!
    But then again I'm not new to lenses seeing as I did 35mm for 15yrs prior to digital. Yes I went to Canon....I had a Canon 35mm I loved so it was back to a brand I know.
    The prosumer 828 is a great camera but was real frustrating not being able to get past that dang 135mm!umph.gif
    Also had sharp focusing problems and Purple Fringing on light subjects.
    I do a lotta nature photography and always have and that limit bugged the poop outta me!
    I still love my 828 and it will be staying with me. I guess I just got really lucky with my camera, because I never have had focusing problems, or PF to the extent that others slammed the camera for. I can honestly say that of the 5000 or so pictures I took with the camera, there was less than 25 of them where the PF was noticible. Granted, I don't take pics to make money and quality may not be my #1 area, but if I would say that the rest of the pictures were acceptable in the PF and focus area.

As far as the dSLR. I'm glad I switched. I know eventually I was going to outgrow the 828's abilities, and better to start learning a new camera now instead of waiting! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Stef wrote:
    Thanks! You talked me into it. I just ordered from B & H! clap.gif
    I think this camera is going to cost me some money, and I think I may have figured out the pricing of the lenses. Hmmm why is it that the good ones cost so much?? ne_nau.gif:D
    (smile) You'll thank me. The good lenses do cost a LOT more than "consumer grade" lenses. Over time, you'll spend far more on the lenses. And don't be surprised when you buy a lens that costs more than your camera. The quality of the lens is very important.

Keep in mind that bodies will come and go, but the lenses will last many many years.

The 50mm f1.8 is a great and relatively inexpensive lens. You just zoom with your feet or zoom by cropping the photos in post processing.

And you can get great photos with the cheaper lenses -- if you shoot to their strengths. If you are shooting wide open at f5.6 on the farthest zoom of your consumer lens, in dim light, shooting action subject....then yeah...your glass will be limiting you.

Shooting at f8 in nice outdoor light....even consumer glass can be used to get great photos.

And you'll have your 50mm for when you really need to shoot in low light, or you want narrow DOF. On a 1.5x cropped body, it's a decent portrait lens as well.

Lee