lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited March 9, 2012 in Street and Documentary
sp-25-2-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Nice shot. That is some REAL LIFE stuff.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I like it Liz. I like the contrast of mum in motion and dad and baby so still and contemplative.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nmahooch wrote: »
    Nice shot. That is some REAL LIFE stuff.

Isn't it though.
    Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 7, 2012
    Patti wrote: »
    I like it Liz. I like the contrast of mum in motion and dad and baby so still and contemplative.

I get "misery" from the dad or at the very least tired, weighed down.
    I know sometimes we inject certain emotions into our shots, but that's what I see, it's not a happy scene for me.

I used to hate going to the laundrymat, though at least you could get more than one load done at a time.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    excellent
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    It's a fine shot, Liz. I don't get misery from it, more like mind-numbing monotony, and certainly being tired and weighed down. The picture brought back a pretty vivid memory of what it's like to be that age with children. The thing that gets you through it is love, and once you get through it, on the other side lies joy.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited March 8, 2012
    I know sometimes we inject certain emotions into our shots, but that's what I see, it's not a happy scene for me.
    nod.gif I doubt anyone has fond memories of laundromats. Maybe it's different if you are carrying a smart phone. Is there an app for laundry? mwink.gif
    edited March 8, 2012
    damonff wrote: »
    excellent

thank you Damon :)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 8, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    It's a fine shot, Liz. I don't get misery from it, more like mind-numbing monotony, and certainly being tired and weighed down. The picture brought back a pretty vivid memory of what it's like to be that age with children. The thing that gets you through it is love, and once you get through it, on the other side lies joy.

Lovely thought there Russ.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    nod.gif I doubt anyone has fond memories of laundromats. Maybe it's different if you are carrying a smart phone. Is there an app for laundry? mwink.gif

ha! I will look for one.
    I do laundry at home these days, though that means hauling laundry down 3 flights of stairs and back up again for every load. It kind of makes me miss the "all the laundry in one shot" days and now that I am a photographer I should really revist the laundrymat it's a great place to shoot.
    It's right up there with shooting bicycles :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I'm now going to look for Bicycles and Laundromats in the same image. That one's bound to be a winner!

Love this image for all the reasons given.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »

I am addicted to reading the billboards,regardless of where they are I always feel compelled to read them. ne_nau.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I'm now going to look for Bicycles and Laundromats in the same image. That one's bound to be a winner!

Add a dog to that and you'll hit the trifecta. rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 9, 2012

Thank you:)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited March 9, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Add a dog to that and you'll hit the trifecta. rolleyes1.gif

Look I'll start the pot right now with $10 bucks to go to the winner of this trifecta.
    The first to post a shot of a dog, bike and a laundrymat in the same shot :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Nice shot Liz. I am consistently impressed by your street shots. You really have the knack of seeing the shot...captureing the emotion and meaning of the moment.

I don't see misery...too strong for this scene...nor do I see monotony...too repetitive for the laundry experience...more like, doing the living thing...getting by...meeting your needs...the have to do's. What I see is the struggle of being young...just getting started...with the strength to do what has to be done. This is the waiting...the things you do until you can figure out what to do next to better your life and the life of those you love.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited March 9, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Nice shot Liz. I am consistently impressed by your street shots. You really have the knack of seeing the shot...captureing the emotion and meaning of the moment.

I don't see misery...too strong for this scene...nor do I see monotony...too repetitive for the laundry experience...more like, doing the living thing...getting by...meeting your needs...the have to do's. What I see is the struggle of being young...just getting started...with the strength to do what has to be done. This is the waiting...the things you do until you can figure out what to do next to better your life and the life of those you love.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ed for your commentary.
    Perhaps because I'm in the thick of living the the above that I didn't quite appreciate it as you did or as Russ did. Not that I'm miserable becaue I am not--just so tired somedays you know.
    When I walked by, I didn't see misery. I walked past it w/ my kids, I saw the image and knew I had to try and get it, the everydayness of it. It wasn't until I got home that I saw the man's pensive pose and it kind of hit home.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Wow! Fantastic seeing all the stuff that simply isn't there being read into these this excellent image - which means that you really hit a home run, Liz. People are looking at it, and transferring all their own stuff onto the ambiguity of it. All we have here is a woman doing laundry and a man holding a baby, We don't see his expression; all we see from her expression is - nothing. We don't know if it's her child. We don't know if she and the man have any connection. We don't know if it's the man's child, or if he is simply holding the child for a friend - is the friend the woman doing laundry? What do we know from this image? That a man, woman, and a child were in a laundromat at the same time. Seriously. But our experiences of young adulthood, parenthood, life, are projected back to us from the mirror of this photograph. Getting that kind of image is a real accomplishment.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed