Ch 51 Bird Watching, ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited November 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
42849958-L.jpg

42849963-L.jpg

11/02/2005
Hobby: Bird Watching

photography by ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Ginger I like the idea. I think i prefer the 2nd shot as is due to the different expressions that we can see on their faces. However, without your title there is no reference to 'bird watching' in the picture. It would be more effective if we had a few feathers in the frame, so to speak. Maybe a different angle might offer a chance of such a shot ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I guess you have to be a bird watcher. I think those photos have bird watching written all over it.Bear
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    I guess you have to be a bird watcher. I think those photos have bird watching written all over it.Bear

Not much of a bird watcher although I could probably have my arm twisted one dayne_nau.gif
    I don't want you to think I was being rude it's just to me they could have been watching anything. Now I'm asking myself what else could they looking at?headscratch.gif. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Seems like a great idea to me, I don't watch birds myself but I knew exactly what they were up to, but I'm also british and you always see bird watchers....
    I say go with two also, i like the blur of the womans hand, and the exposure.
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Perhaps even just a bird book in the hands of one of the "watchers"......with easily seen bird on the cover would push the "bird watching" idea...without really altering that shot. ne_nau.gif Can you reshoot and perhaps "stage" this shot ? I'd like to see a combo of both the shots. At least one person looking through their binocs....and a couple/few facial expressions. Just leave out the pineapplepizza. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    I can't reshoot, I was lucky that they were as nice as they were. That is one thing. Another thing is that is the most people I have seen on a bird thing at Caw Caw. Also, they are not nice enough to pose for me. They are out there to watch birds. And bird watchers are MOST interested in watching birds.

Another is that I think I will be sending my camera in for repairs way before I go back out there. It is an hour away, the walk is more than 2 miles, the payoff is not great for me in photos, so far.......................mainly the walk leaves my OLD body exhausted. Sometime the eagles, two, are supposed to be more easily seen, but at about a mile away. Great for a bird watcher, I guess, but not that good for a photographer.

My problem is that the first one has "bird watchers" written all over it more because the binoculars are up. The expressions are good in the second one.

But I can't reshoot. I could try for a montage, but due to the fact that I was using my 400mm exclusively, there is not much room for a montage to happen.

ginger

I am going to shoot artists doing Plein Air painting in a park on Sat morning. That is a "hobby", too. Do any of you have suggestions on how to shoot that w/o annoying them. They will be concentrating on their work. It will be auctioned off that night. However the "painting" part is part of the public thing.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    Ginger,
    I like both of them. I think they both say "birdwatchers" to me. I love the look on the face of the guy on the left in the second shot. The one with the glasses, looking up. I kind of don't like that the guy on the right seems to be scowling at you. Love the hat on the lady.mwink.gif

No. 1 is good too. All of the people are engrossed in what they are doing. Looking through the binoculars is good. The exposure and focus is good in both.

Your painting idea sounds good too. I'll wait to see how that goes.

These are good. You walked two miles! eek7.gif You really are dedicated. icon10.gif Great going girl. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I like your birdwatchers I like it even more in color(that is just my opinion)
    clap.gif
    Nice going Ginger.

Cheers
    Tim
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am going to shoot artists doing Plein Air painting in a park on Sat morning. That is a "hobby", too. Do any of you have suggestions on how to shoot that w/o annoying them. They will be concentrating on their work. It will be auctioned off that night. However the "painting" part is part of the public thing.

you are in luck. I happen to do quite alot of Plein Air painting. people photograph us all the time. I think the best you can do without annoying them is pick up a good lense, wait until you can at least tell what their painting. And make sure you get what they're painting in the picture as well.thumb.gif When they photograph me i always try to pose so they can get the best shot with all the elementsclap.gif

hope it turns out great. i'd love to see the pictures.

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com