Features:
voice dictation (no Siri though)
Personal hotspot
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I believe the processor is dual core for the actual cpu portion, but quadcore for the graphics chip part of it?

The retina display is probably my favorite part, at least for photo and video stuff. Not a big gamer but the more power the better.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    preordered :ivar
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    preordered :ivar

Me too! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Well, here is a quick comparison chart from the ultimate source ;-)
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Cameron wrote: »
    Me too! wings.gif
    thumb.gifclap
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Putting my 2007 Macbook up for sale on eBay to help fund the iPad. With an iMac in the house, the macbook currently serves as an email/web browser for my wife and it seems a no-brainer to upgrade to this machine for a couple hundred dollars more.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Oh, BTW, for those you are about to order online: Apple offers free engraving option (well, almost free - there is a $6 surcharge). My understanding this is an exclusive online offering, not available in stores.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Apple has long offered free engraving on iPods, and it's a great way to at the very least shame any thief. I've engraved my name and phone number on mine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Apple has long offered free engraving on iPods, and it's a great way to at the very least shame any thief. I've engraved my name and phone number on mine.

Ditto. mwink.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I pass on the engraving since I expect to own it right around 12 months and it kills the resale value. mwink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I pass on the engraving since I expect to own it right around 12 months and it kills the resale value. mwink.gif

There is that. I've never cared about the resale of my iPods. But I sure would care about an iPad, as much as they cost.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Just ordered my first iPad (white/32gig/LTE). Have two of the HP Touchpads that were too cheap to not buy but those will be relegated to portable movie devices for the kids. Couldn't resist the resolution, app catalog (we already have two iphones) as well as the educational content on the devices.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    We have two iPads in our family of four. Dad has an iPad 3 (being delivered to a hotel while I'm on a trip, no less). Nathan (3 years) has an iPad 1 that he does his learning time on and some music apps he enjoys. My wife had one for a while but never used it and didn't want it anymore. I use mine for a couple of hours a day, at least.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Quick question on my choice of an iPad:
    I chose white but am wondering if black is preferable. Thoughts on the white getting dirty or being distracting? I thought it would be a nice 'mat' for photos.
    I got the LTE version but now am wondering if it makes more sense to tether to my iphone (which has an unlimited data plan) for 20/month than spend add'l money on the iPad plan. Also, plan to get the next iPhone which will have LTE anyway.
    Appreciate your thoughts
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Quick question on my choice of an iPad:
    I chose white but am wondering if black is preferable. Thoughts on the white getting dirty or being distracting? I thought it would be a nice 'mat' for photos.
    I got the LTE version but now am wondering if it makes more sense to tether to my iphone (which has an unlimited data plan) for 20/month than spend add'l money on the iPad plan. Also, plan to get the next iPhone which will have LTE anyway.
    Appreciate your thoughts

Mine's black (64Gb LTE). I don't plan to use LTE much (where I live it's not even available atm), but I got it for travels, occasional browsing over 3G (until 4G becomes ubiquitous) and to utilize its personal hotspot if needed.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Though my iPad is black, I have the white iPhone and "looking dirty" isn't a problem.

I do the tethering thing myself - you loose a bit of the magic that comes from the iPad simply always having a connection, but $130 buys a fair amount of data use to make up for it.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Both ipads (I ordered 2d one for my daughter) shipped! clap.gif
    Can't wait for next Friday! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    I'm hoping this means I'll be able to pick up a cheap iPad 2 pretty soon. :D
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    I'm a physician first (photographer second) and, as luck would have it, my last two patients yesterday each had an iPad - one white, one black. Both belonged to a family with kids so had really been put to the test. The white was discolored (but looked like it could be cleaned) and I found the bezel a bit distracting though images looked brighter and had more 'pop'. Black was 'cleaner' even though it was a 1st generation and was a bit more muted as far as brightness/contrast though seemed a bit more professional. I switched my order over to the black version.

As for LTE, still a bit stuck. Trying to decide how often I'll use it outside the house/away from wifi - especially as I always have the iPhone with me for photography related apps. Figured that, for vacations, I would up my wife's data plan from the 300MB to 5gig/hotspot which would be an additional $30 per month. If I did that for the entire Summer to account for time at the pool and some vacations, it would end up costing an additional $90 vs the cost of the device with LTE (+130) and data (minimum 15/month).

Seems like it just makes more sense to go for the black/32/wifi in my case.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Seems like it just makes more sense to go for the black/32/wifi in my case.

15524779-Ti.gif Your situation sounds very similar to mine and, having had wifi and 3G versions in the past, think you made the right choice.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    I have a mi-fi and use it with iPad & mbp. I find it far more versatile than a 3g / 4g iPad would be.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Saw that 3 week delay (which will probably end up being far longer given the production yields of the new display). When I made the decision to buy it, I figured there was no reason not to preorder and use the thing as much as possible (before the next iteration comes out...)
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Saw that 3 week delay (which will probably end up being far longer given the production yields of the new display). When I made the decision to buy it, I figured there was no reason not to preorder and use the thing as much as possible (before the next iteration comes out...)
    thumb.gifclap.gifwinkrolleyes1.gif