Options

5D3 for weddings - quiet mode!

Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
edited March 10, 2012 in Cameras
Just watched the preview on DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-preview

Forgetting all the excitement about ISO, MPs, AF etc. for a moment. I think the No. 1 most important and useful feature for a wedding photographer is the new quiet shooting mode!

Comments

• Options
    Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Nice! They caught up to my D3100 lol3.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    All the new cameras seem to have this and I think it is high time! It is going to be absolutely necessary in my opinion, what with Sony etc. coming out with their translucent mirror technology that allows for silent shooting.

So far I've heard very good things about both the 5D mk3 and the D4; the 5D mk3 being reviewed by Jeff Aschough I believe is one of the places where the quiet shutter is mentioned?

Anyway, that's a feature I'm definitely happy about.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited March 8, 2012
    The previous Canon 5D MKII has 2 - "Silent" modes.

There is a good description of them here (around 2/3rds down the page):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A5.HTM

While the new 5D MKIII has an improved capability, the "Live View", half-shutter silent mode of the 5D MKII (the first of the two silent modes) has been handy for me on occasion.

It will be nice to see how much different the new silent mode of the 5D MKIII is, compared to previous.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The previous Canon 5D MKII has 2 - "Silent" modes.

There is a good description of them here (around 2/3rds down the page):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E5D2/E5D2A5.HTM

While the new 5D MKIII has an improved capability, the "Live View", half-shutter silent mode of the 5D MKII (the first of the two silent modes) has been handy for me on occasion.

It will be nice to see how much different the new silent mode of the 5D MKIII is, compared to previous.

I must be doing something wrong, whenever I try to use my 5Dii in silent mode it still flips the mirror and makes a racket just as much as normal.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong, whenever I try to use my 5Dii in silent mode it still flips the mirror and makes a racket just as much as normal.

Hmm, maybe found my error. If it's in movie + stills mode for live view, silent mode doesn't seem to work, but in stills only mode it does.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Stuart-M wrote: »

No, you're not doing something wrong, the "silent mode" for this new generation is VASTLY improved over previous generations. Previous generations simply "slowed down" the same loud noise, this generation has actually lowered the noise altogether... (From what I hear, no pun intended)

=Matt=
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    It's a lot quieter on the 5dII if you're doing live view, because the mirror does not have to flip up... Then again it has to flip when you start live view.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2012
    It's a lot quieter on the 5dII if you're doing live view, because the mirror does not have to flip up... Then again it has to flip when you start live view.

Yes, I've always appreciated the 5D mk2's ability to click a shot during live view without messing with the mirror. For some ridiculous reason, all Nikon DSLR's I've ever used require the mirror to flip down and then back up again when taking a still frame during live view. So dumb!

But as far as quiet mode shooting goes, live view never really worked for me because it just hindered my normal shooting. I can't exactly shoot an entire wedding ceremony in live view...

=Matt=